PVC Sewing Help

  • saralee20032000
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great solution for
      me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on a
      costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a problem.
      I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying to sew a
      straight line.

      The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric sorta
      bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is not
      clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot and tissue
      paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those things. I've
      been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric down. But
      I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.

      Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a baste by
      hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you who know
      so much.

      Cara

    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved seam
        or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling so
        you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's not
        clear.

        Sylrog

        On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:

        > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great solution
        > for
        > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on a
        > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a problem.
        > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying to
        > sew a
        > straight line.
        >
        > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric sorta
        > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is not
        > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot and
        > tissue
        > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those things. I've
        > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric down.
        > But
        > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
        >
        > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a baste
        > by
        > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you who
        > know
        > so much.
        >
        > Cara

      • Costume Gallery
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          Try Silcone Spray for Sewing. It's a great product. We use it on
          vinyl and plastics
          Good Luck,
          Joy

          On Feb 5, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:

          > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved seam
          > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling so
          > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's not
          > clear.
          >
          > Sylrog
          >
          > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
          >

          > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great solution
          > > for
          > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on a
          > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
          > problem.
          > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying to
          > > sew a
          > > straight line.
          > >
          > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
          > sorta
          > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is not
          > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot and
          > > tissue
          > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those things.
          > I've
          > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric down.
          > > But
          > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
          > >
          > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
          > baste
          > > by
          > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you who
          > > know
          > > so much.
          > >
          > > Cara

        • saralee20032000
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            Hi, hope this makes it clearer. It's not bias cut, it's a straight
            seam and yes... I am getting those diagonal wrinkles. Am I
            unconsiously pulling on the fabric? Should I wear gloves or something?
            Cara

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
            <sylvia@...> wrote:

            > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved
            seam
            > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling
            so
            > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's
            not
            > clear.
            >
            > Sylrog
            >
            > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
            >

            > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great
            solution
            > > for
            > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on
            > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
            problem.
            > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying
            > > sew a
            > > straight line.
            > >
            > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
            sorta
            > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is
            not
            > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot
            and
            > > tissue
            > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those
            things. I've
            > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric
            down.
            > > But
            > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
            > >
            > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
            baste
            > > by
            > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you
            who
            > > know
            > > so much.
            > >
            > > Cara

          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
              I would try the silicone spray or drops as suggested. I am fortunate
              to have a Pfaff with an even-feed foot. Actually, that's why I bought
              it. I make and sell clothing for the goth community, which means a lot
              of black pvc. I tried out both the Pfaff and a Bernina with a walking
              foot and the Pfaff was superior. In addition, I do use tissue paper
              over some seams, like when I apply zippers. A walking foot helps too
              if you have one, but the even feed foot on the Pfaff is marvelous for
              vinyl.

              Sylrog

            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                I would also try reducing your presser foot pressure, if your machine
                has that option.

                Sandy

                "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C.Y. 4971

                Andromeda
              • Allison Pace
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                  I once sewed a pvc skirt, and I found that baby powder really worked
                  great. Just clean your sewing machine really well before and after
                  you use it. But it helps the pvc gluide right through and just washes
                  off with water.

                  Allison

                  > > solution
                  > > problem.

                  > > sorta
                  > > not
                  > > and
                  > > things. I've
                  > > down.

                  > > baste
                  > > who

                • Christine
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                    Hi, a question I think I can help with. I have an industrial Singer
                    machine which has a very even feed, and I still had problems
                    with "bunching" on seams. Most PVC is a little stretchy, so that is
                    one issue. The other is that the shiny side is prone to sticking to
                    any surface it comes in contact with. I had success with the teflon
                    coated foot on the machine, slightly decreasing the presser foot
                    pressure AND using light tissue paper between the bed of the machine
                    and the fabric all at the same time! A lot of trouble but the results
                    justified it. The client wanted thigh high stretch PVC boots for her
                    40th birthday party, the theme was "your alter ego" and she wanted to
                    be a dominatrix. I admire those people who sew lots of PVC, I guess
                    you would just used to handling it, I've heard that teflon spray is
                    good, does it leave a bad residue on the fabric? Powder is not an
                    option with industrial machines as it fouls the oil bath under the
                    machine. Good luck, Christine in Sydney Australia.