Old World Enterprises

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2007
      I am working on a suit for a friend of mine and am just about at my
      wits end. They already had a pattern a fabric, I am just putting it
      all together. The pattern is Old World Enterprises' Men's 1890's
      sporting suit (#891M). I just cut out the pants and am trying to put
      them together. The fly piece dosn't seem to fit the same on the fabric
      as it does in the picture in the directions. The directions also show
      darts in the waistline of the pants, but there are none marked on the
      pattern. Has anyone else had experience with this pattern? Did you
      continue on with the piece or did you have to draft another fly piece?
      What about the magic darts? Am I going to run into any problems when I
      get to the jacket?
      Help please! Thanks!
      -Karen
    • Liz Gerds
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2007
        Unfortunately, my experience with Old World Enterprises patterns is
        that it looks to me that they spent more time on the cover art than
        they did on the pattern.

        If you have the time, get a copy of the Patterns of History Men's sack
        suit from the Wisconsin Historical Society and work with that one
        instead. Or use the Laughing Moon #106 for the pants and Laughing Moon
        Victorian - Edwardian Shirts for the shirts and a modern suit coat for
        the jacket.

        If you don't have the time(or inclination) to get a new pattern then
        I'm sorry to say you'll need to re-draft as you go.

        Liz at Farthingales LA
        www.farthingalesla.com
      • Mary
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2007
          I haven't used this pattern personally, but here is a review of the
          pattern and its multitude of problems (from the GBACG pattern review).
          Not sure it will help you in this situation, but at least you know
          what you're in for!

          #891 - 1890's Male Casual Shirt
          John E. LaBarre - Not Recommended

          All in all this is a poor pattern.This pattern has the following problems:
          #1 Snap placement on pattern pieces were marked wrong, they ended up
          being off the edge of the finished piece,
          as were the button-hole makings.
          #2 Alignment of front piece to rear were off by 1/2 inch.
          #3 Sleeve opening ended up being almost too small to wear.
          #4 Finished collar base was too short and had to gather yoke to make fit.
          #5 Finished collar was too short in length to go around collar base
          correctly.
          #6 Cuffs were a little too long for the sleeves.
          #7 No pattern piece was provided for sleeve end.
          #8 No mention was made for adding interfacing to cuffs.
          #9 Instructions were poor at best.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <koalabar@...>