Tara in London

  • thecostumersmanifesto
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
      OK, so Lorraine my sidekick and I are going to London from June 6-18
      and are looking to meet up with any interested costume junkies who are
      either living there or are traveling in the same time frame. We were
      planning to zip off to Bath (Museum of Costume) and Northampton (Shoe
      Collection of the Norhampton Museum) during this time frame as well.
      Please contact me or post to the board if you want to hobnob with us
      as we run amok at the costume shrines of these places. If you are a
      London/Northampton/Bath based costumer and have a cool place to show
      us (place of work, favorite stores, etc.) or just want to talk
      costumes with two costumers who work in Alaska, we will try to meet up
      with you. I'm especially keen for any photo opportunities of fun or
      interesting stuff to add to The Costumer's Manifesto.

      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2002
        i live in london and know some interesting places to find stuff and im happy
        to show you around to if you like get back to me my email address is
        dark_one_7@... , i dont know of any costume museums but the VnA has
        a rather spivy collection.... what kinda stuff do you wanna see????
        sloopyjon

        >From: "thecostumersmanifesto" <Tara@...>
        >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tara in London
        >Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:57:20 -0000
        >
        >OK, so Lorraine my sidekick and I are going to London from June 6-18
        >and are looking to meet up with any interested costume junkies who are
        >either living there or are traveling in the same time frame. We were
        >planning to zip off to Bath (Museum of Costume) and Northampton (Shoe
        >Collection of the Norhampton Museum) during this time frame as well.
        >Please contact me or post to the board if you want to hobnob with us
        >as we run amok at the costume shrines of these places. If you are a
        >London/Northampton/Bath based costumer and have a cool place to show
        >us (place of work, favorite stores, etc.) or just want to talk
        >costumes with two costumers who work in Alaska, we will try to meet up
        >with you. I'm especially keen for any photo opportunities of fun or
        >interesting stuff to add to The Costumer's Manifesto.
        >
        >--
        >----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
        >Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
        >Website: "The Costumer's Manifesto" at http://costumes.org
        >Theatre Department Web Site: http://www.uaf.edu/theatre

      • mjade19

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2002
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "mjade19" <mjade19@c...> wrote:
            > Are there lots of jobs in Alaska for costumers? I am curious because
            I always thought it would be fun to live in Alaska.

            Very few costume jobs that are full time. I suspect there must be a
            designer in Juneau who does Perserverance theatre close to full-time,
            Here in Fairbanks I'm full time, my assistant is only paid 1/2 time,
            and there is one lady who runs a rental shop in town. Community
            theatre is costumed by talented volunteers. In Anchorage at UAA there
            is a full time costume designer on faculty, plus a costume shop
            manager, in town are a few rental shops, and likely a wardrobe
            mistress who deals with the rental costumes for the opera down there.
            I expect that there are a few "freelance" (part-time underpaid)
            designers who do theatre in Anchorage, but beyond that Alaska is the
            ends of the earth for costuming. I know I'm the only member of the
            Costume Society of America, The Costume Society and the International
            Costumer's Guild in Alaska, and there are only about 10 USITT members
            (including costume and all other tech people) in the whole state.