I need bodies

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
      The Dance Dept. wants 7 bodies that I must dress in tuxedos! (I'm
      STILL reeling!)I REALLY don't want to have to build these. Any ideas
      on where to get inflatables or stuffed mannequins or SOMETHING?
      Elizabeth
    • Margaret
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
        > The Dance Dept. wants 7 bodies that I must dress in tuxedos! (I'm
        > STILL reeling!)I REALLY don't want to have to build these. Any ideas
        > on where to get inflatables or stuffed mannequins or SOMETHING?
        > Elizabeth

        If you just need bodies in tuxes, can't you bribe 7 friends to stand
        still? If that doesn't work, make 7 paper-tape dummies, and stand them
        up using plumbing parts.

        --
        Margaret
      • bearhedded
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
          Oh, my.......

          Start by reminding them that dummies are PROPS!

          There are places online that have that sort of thing for museums
          "etc." , but NONE of it is cheap!

          Could you stitch the sleeve, leg, and seat openings of long
          underwear closed, and pour in styro peanuts (free, sometimes
          on Craig's List, and easier than dealing with batting)? Add a wig
          head, (stitch a casing around the neck, use a shoelace for a
          draw-string.....socks and gloves if you need hands and feet, stuff
          1/2" backer-rod in the fingers of the gloves first!) and you're
          golden.....AND, if you subdue the clown who came up with this
          idea in the first place, you'll only need to make six!

          good luck!
        • Kat Hannon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
            Inflatables? Oh my....

            What exactly are you doing with these? Do they need to look like people?

            catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:
            The Dance Dept. wants 7 bodies that I must dress in tuxedos! (I'm
            STILL reeling!)I REALLY don't want to have to build these. Any ideas
            on where to get inflatables or stuffed mannequins or SOMETHING?
            Elizabeth

            =^.^=

            "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
            It would improve the man,
            but it would deteriorate the cat."
            Mark Twain
            Please note that Mark Twain specified
            that the cross would improve the MAN,
            no need to include women in that.
            Women and cats are perfect as is.

          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
              I have to second that. I designed a play once that required dummies
              and the set dept. did them. I then made the costumes for them.

              Sylrog

              On Jan 20, 2007, at 2:10 PM, bearhedded wrote:

              > Oh, my.......
              >
              > Start by reminding them that dummies are PROPS!
              >
              > There are places online that have that sort of thing for museums
              > "etc." , but NONE of it is cheap!
              >
              > Could you stitch the sleeve, leg, and seat openings of long
              > underwear closed, and pour in styro peanuts (free, sometimes
              > on Craig's List, and easier than dealing with batting)? Add a wig
              > head, (stitch a casing around the neck, use a shoelace for a
              > draw-string.....socks and gloves if you need hands and feet, stuff
              > 1/2" backer-rod in the fingers of the gloves first!) and you're
              > golden.....AND, if you subdue the clown who came up with this
              > idea in the first place, you'll only need to make six!
              >
              > good luck!

            • rita_marx
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54"
                <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

                > The Dance Dept. wants 7 bodies that I must dress in tuxedos! (I'm
                > STILL reeling!)I REALLY don't want to have to build these. Any ideas
                > on where to get inflatables or stuffed mannequins or SOMETHING?
                > Elizabeth

                Please check out my website www.costumekeeper.com for stuffed costume
                forms.
                Good luck.
                Rita
              • Theresa
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
                  Check with your local department stores and see if they have any older models of mannequins that they would be willing to donate.

                  Theresa

                  catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote: The Dance Dept. wants 7 bodies that I must dress in tuxedos! (I'm
                  STILL reeling!)I REALLY don't want to have to build these. Any ideas
                  on where to get inflatables or stuffed mannequins or SOMETHING?
                  Elizabeth

                  Theresa Roden
                  Fine clothing, costuming & more
                  www.leopardrampant.com
                  Natural Soaps & Pampering Items
                  www.sherryslavishingsoapandbath.com/about.php?%=098

                • Alexadbw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
                    Do they need to be stiff or flexible?

                    If they can be stiff like mannequins you could do life casting. I think that
                    would be my very last choice unless you have a local artist. You most likely
                    would only need to do one if the mold can stand up to seven castings.

                    Alexa

                  • gsbse1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 22, 2007
                      What about using a free standing coat rack to stand it up and taking the tux and rolling 1
                      inch foam into tubes for the arms legs and bodies putting them into the the tux,stitch
                      gloves to the end of the sleevesfilled with stuffing or those plastic beads, stitch jacket to
                      pants temp glue shoes to leg foam. Use a wig form airbrushed flesh tucked into the neck
                      of the shirt. If they need to be moved around easily the coat racks could be on wheels.

                      or and I'm not sure how this would work but,ewwww..what about a sex toy person....are
                      they human size? you'd have to maybe tie off the head and use a wig form instead. ok so
                      you asked if there was something inflatable...
                      I'd love to see the dance dept turn in that reciept!
                      SAM

                    • Alexadbw@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 22, 2007
                        __,_.I'd love to see the dance dept turn in that reciept!

                        And then there is the receipt for condoms for the body mics and;the Vodka to spritz costumes!!!

                        Alexa

                        _,___
                      • teelabythesea
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                          i am new to this group but i am using 5 male "bodies" this summer for
                          a dance production. i am using surfing torn wetsuits and stuffing them
                          and inserting large commercial hanger for shoulders and to
                          support "head" then clothing with tuxedos. it might work. old wet suits
                          are free out here in california..