  • Maggie Baker Atkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2007
      Hi everybody -

      I have had to build a number of these suits over the
      years and I have some tips in building them:

      1. I like working with a stretch base - either a
      custom made leotard/unitard or a purchased body suit
      that will fit the bill.

      2. I second the whole "have a snap crotch" issue. It
      makes putting on and taking off the whole thing a lot
      easier.

      3. For a realistic looking modification suit, A dress
      form is key for this process (or a really really
      patient friend who will stand there while you work on
      him.)

      4. If the suit needs to be large, I use a layered
      carved foam base to make the general shape of the
      modification, and then I smooth over the shape with
      layers of sheet polyfil. Hand tack the layers together
      all over the place.

      5. after you have the look you want, sew a smooth
      layer of lycra or stretch mesh over the whole shape to
      keep it together (don't just sew another full leotard
      over it - that method seems to bunch.)

      This is really simplified so please respond if you
      want me to go into any more specific detail. :)
      Body mod suits take time, but if they are done right,
      they are really amazing!

      :) - Maggie

      --- Clay <exdancer@...> wrote:

      > I have a similar issue - occasionally, I need to
      > come up with a "muscle"
      > suit as well as a "fat suit". Both speak to
      > modifying the contours of the
      > body to transform a performer of one body type into
      > another... and I would
      > hazard a guess that the solutions are similar as
      > well.
    • Rev. Cleve Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
        Okay... muscle suits and fat suits are two different animals, and
        no, there is no need to body cast, sculpt and mold these unless they
        are to be representing exposed flesh. The fat suit can be done in a
        couple of ways. Depends if you are a sewing person or a fabrication
        person. ( I am a fabricator, but can sew one if someone put a gun
        to my head.) I would suggest a 4 way stretch spandex body suit
        draped to fit the actor. To avoid the "riding up" issue, give it a
        snap crotch. Over this you will make a second spandex "skin" just
        slightly larger than the first and attached in the center back and
        and around the bottom, about level with the hips. Probably give
        this area a little more fabric than the upper area. With the actor
        wearing the suit, start shredding fiber fill and start stuffing.
        Let gravity do the job. The stomach will have a nice overhang.
        Less stuffing toward the chest. A good touch is to then seam it
        under the pecs, then stuff them first with some bean bag pellets.
        This gives a little weight and "swing" to the MAN BOOBS. (Under a
        heavy santa outfit, this will not show up as much though) Stuff the
        rest with Fiber Fill and do the shoulders. Move the stuffing around
        until it is shaped to your liking, tack it down on the sides of the
        chest and other places you want a contour, then seam it all shut.

        You can carry the contouring down the upper arms if you want,
        probably would look better. Stuff it enough so the Santa suit is a
        tight fit, so it looks like it is straining to contain the inner
        Claus, but not stuffed too tight. The finger in the tummy poke test
        should be the decisive factor.

        Good luck!

        Cleve A. Hall

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Clay <exdancer@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a similar issue - occasionally, I need to come up with
        a "muscle"
        > suit as well as a "fat suit". Both speak to modifying the
        contours of the
        > body to transform a performer of one body type into another... and
        I would
        > hazard a guess that the solutions are similar as well.
        >
        > I've tried just about everything I can think of, and haven't
        settled on
        > something that is comfortable for the actor, maintainable (you
        would never
        > guess how much you sweat under one of those things!) and reasonably
        > realistic under the proper sized clothing. I suppose the alpha
        solution is
        > to body cast the actor and design custom foam latex pieces, but
        that's not
        > attainable on my budgets. :) The one "muscle suit" option I HAVE
        had
        > success with is a carefully airbrushed, long-sleeved unitard -
        which from
        > the audience distance was extremely effective - there were even
        friends of
        > the actor involved that complimented him on his abs! But in any
        > circumstances other than low-light or large houses, this wouldn't
        hold up.

        > so - I, too, would love to hear from anyone with tips on how best
        to design
        > and construct these body-silhouette modification undergarments!
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Clay
        >
        > On 18 Jan 2007 16:22:11 -0000,
        TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com <
        > TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > >
        > > Costume discussion, questions, and posts. Costumes Clothing
        Fashion
        > > Sewing Crafts Theatre Theater Needlework Makeup Dress

        3c3Q2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNl
        YwNoZHIEc2xrA2hwaARzdGltZQMxMTY5MTM3MzMx>
        > > Messages In This Digest (1 Message) 1. Santa
        suit<#11036065c66763d2_1>From: Siebel San
        > > View All
        Topics<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/messages;_
        ylc=X3oDMTJmM2Nya3BmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxN
        zA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE-?
        xm=1&m=p&tidx=1>| Create
        > > New
        Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/post;_ylc=X
        3oDMTJmZDdhNXNuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3Mz
        AwMzM3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->
        > > Message 1. Santa suit

        c=X3oDMTJxOTIwcW5qBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA
        3MzAwMzM3BG1zZ0lkAzg1ODQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMz
        MQ--> Posted
        > > by: "Siebel San" siebelsan@...
        > > <siebelsan@...?Subject=+Re%3ASanta%20suit> siebelsan
        > > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/siebelsan> Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:00 pm
        (PST) Hello all,
        > > I know this subject has been discussed before, but I am
        > > looking for someone to make a fat suit. I am making a new
        > > costume for a local Santa in Erie, PA. He is not happy
        > > with his current fake belly (it's a tee shirt with padding
        > > sewn in) because it tends to ride up towards his chin when
        > > he sits. He'd really like a better alternative, and I told
        > > him I'd ask around and see if I could find someone with a
        > > better solution. He really wants it to look authentic, NOT
        > > like a pillow stuffed under his jacket. He sometimes does
        > > several events in a day, and having to keep running to the
        > > men's room to make adjustments to his belly just isn't
        > > convenient. Is there anyone here who can make a good Santa
        > > belly, or knows where one can be purchased? Thanks!
        > > Jessie
        > >
        > > Visit my website! www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/
        > > - - - - - - - - - -
        > > "If the world could have seen what I have seen, feel what I have
        felt,
        > > there would be no more war, only love." -MLC

        > > We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love
        > > (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.
        > > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
        > >
        > > Back to top <#11036065c66763d2_toc>
        > > Reply to sender <siebelsan@...?Subject=Re%3ASanta%20suit> |
        > > to group
        > > <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com?Subject=+Re%3ASanta%
        20suit> | Reply
        > > via web post

        JxYmRqYnJlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM
        3BG1zZ0lkAzg1ODQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMzMQ--?
        act=reply&messageNum=8584>
        > > Messages in this topic

        c=X3oDMTM1bm90ZmM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA
        3MzAwMzM3BG1zZ0lkAzg1ODQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMz
        MQR0cGNJZAM4NTQ3>(5)
        > > Recent Activity
        > >
        > > - 9
        > > New
        Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/members;_
        ylc=X3oDMTJmMWtoZzE4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxN
        zA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->

        > > Visit Your Group

        sbmxpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNl
        YwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMzMQ-->

        > > -
        Costuming<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJjbDFhNmVrBF9TAzk3M
        zU5NzE1BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMjIzMzg4MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDczMDAzMzcEc2VjA3NsbW
        9kBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE-?
        t=ms&k=Costuming&w1=Costuming&c=1&s=15&g=3&.sig=feHQld4XFwAGQt1ddj2lT

        > > Yahoo! TV
        > >
        > > Stay
        updated<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12ise1llc/M=493064.9803235.105102
        28.8674578/D=groups/S=1707300337:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1169144531/A=4299904/
        R=0/SIG=11as379aq/*http://apprentice.tv.yahoo.com/trump/06/>

        > > Get video & read blogs
        > >
        > > on The Apprentice.
        > > Yahoo! 360°
        > >
        > > Start
        Today<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12it9lm3a/M=493064.9803211.10510204
        .8674578/D=groups/S=1707300337:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1169144531/A=3848500/R=
        0/SIG=10mmpqqkm/*http://360.yahoo.com>

        > > Get your own
        > >
        > > place online
        > > Yahoo! Photos
        > >
        > > Upload Now!
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12iepb3kq/M=493064.9803230.10510224.8674
        578/D=groups/S=1707300337:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1169144531/A=3848628/R=0/SIG
        =10p8tommg/*http://photos.yahoo.com>

        > > First 20
        > >
        > > prints are free
        > > Need to Reply?
        > >
        > > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
        in the
        > > Daily Digest.
        > > Create New Topic

        JlZ3ZoN2NkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM
        3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMzMQ-->| Visit
        > > Your Group on the
        Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto;_ylc=X3oDMTJj
        aWYwamVjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3B
        HNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->

        ;_ylc=X3oDMTJlN2loYjdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAM
        xNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMzMQ-->|

        X3oDMTJmNmlhdnJhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3M
        zAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->|

        c=X3oDMTJldjlxYzVtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA
        3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMzMQ-->|

        X3oDMTJmaG42ODFhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3M
        zAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->|

        ;_ylc=X3oDMTJjbGRma2ZyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAM
        xNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->|

        X3oDMTJmb2xrYW8zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3M
        zAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->|

        ylc=X3oDMTJlN2xpdHVyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxN
        zA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTE2OTEzNzMzMQ-->|

        ;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdXY0OGZqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAM
        xNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMTY5MTM3MzMx>
        > > [image: Yahoo! Groups]
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkM21ldHIxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycE
        lkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQM
        xMTY5MTM3MzMx>
        > > Change settings via the
        Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheCostumersManifesto/join;_ylc=X3o
        DMTJmN3E4OG9yBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAw
        MzM3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzExNjkxMzczMzE->(Yahoo! ID
        required)
        > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to
        Individual<TheCostumersManifesto-normal@yahoogroups.com?
        subject=Email+Delivery:+Indiviual+Email>| Switch
        > > format to Traditional<TheCostumersManifesto-
        traditional@yahoogroups.com?
        subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>
        > > Visit Your Group

        1OTVoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyMzM4ODEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MzAwMzM3BHNl
        YwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMTY5MTM3MzMx>| Yahoo!
        > > Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> |
        Unsubscribe
        > > <TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
        subject=Unsubscribe>

        > --

      • Rev. Cleve Hall
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
          Muscle suits is best done as a Fabrication job. For this a Duck
          Tape body form of the actor is pretty much a necessity. A spandex
          base with muscles razor cut out of foam rubber (between 1/2' TO 1'
          thickness depending on the muscle, the pecs being the largest. If
          you want a suit that is washable, you should use "Scott Foam" much
          more durable than mattress foam but hella expensive, I suggest
          patterning your muscles in the cheap stuff, then using the Scott
          when you have the muscles shaped to your liking. I bevel under the
          edges of the foam muscles and spray glue them onto the spandex with
          3M 74 spray... NOT the 3M 77... that stuff does not hold up under
          heat. Drape a second layer of spandex over your muscle contours
          and "stitch in the ditch" between the muscles. It is probably best
          to hand stitch this because, unless you really know what you're
          doing and have controlled the glue oversparay, it will gum up your
          needles, thread, and any machine parts it can get to. For examples
          of this, go to TOTALFAB.com where you can see various superheroes I
          have done, some with more exagerrated bulk than others.

          Oh yeah, you moght want to cover any surfaces or small children and
          pets during the glueing process... the 74 spray is quick but it gets
          EVERYWHERE!