Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] designing...for theatre

  • Sarah P
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      First, theatrical costuming begins with the script. Drawings come later.
      Read the script through, put it down for a couple of days to a week, then
      pick it up again and read it. Keep reading it until you begin to pick up on
      HOW the characters relate to one another--how do they interact, how do they
      react, what's their psychology. This plays a part in how they would dress.
      Secondary to this, but just as important, is where the play takes
      place--what's its setting, time period, time of the year, etc. And look for
      clues that the playwright wrote into the script, too. These are things that
      are inherently necessary for the action or character's reasonings found in
      the storyline. Write down when each character appears in each scene--this
      determines whether or not a quick-change will be needed. It also can
      determine what an actor will need to wear from one scene to the next. You
      can't have an actor be dressed as a ballerina in one scene and in the next
      return onstage as an old lady--should that occur in a play.

      Drawings and sketches are wonderful, but don't start out with the
      nitty-gritty details of collars, sleeves, embellishments, etc. "Thumbnail"
      sketches are a good starting point, saving paper, time, and can allow for a
      rough idea without making a pretty piece of art that you'd hate to end up
      having wasted the time on when the director says to you, "I don't like it,
      change it, it doesn't fit the character." Remember, you have to work in
      collaboration with the idea the director has for the show. And so too with
      the scene and lighting designer. Otherwise, you might have an actress with
      blonde hair wearing a yellow dress on a yellow couch in yellowish sunlight.
      All the audience would see is a blob of yellow. Ick. And also remember
      that the actor must work in the costume. A play set in the Antebellum South
      might have huge hoop skirts, but those skirts must be able to go through
      doors and sit in chairs and move between furniture. Therefore, you'll need
      to come to agreement with the scenic and props designers on dimensions of
      set and dimensions of costumes--without losing the silhouette of the
      costume.

      And study your costume history! Many plays out there are set in historical
      time periods. I've seen plays done in quasi-period styling, and it was
      visually horrible. Not only will it make most plays look amateurish, but
      the audience might be left with the feeling that that's how people dressed
      back then. Only in something like the musical "Kiss Me Kate" would you make
      it a quasi-style, since "Kate" blends 1950's ideals of what the Elizabethan
      period was like with what it really was.

      You might want to find a copy of Rosemary Ingham's book "The Costume
      Designer's Handbook". I found it immensely helpful with the how-to's of
      costume designing. And you can't forget the business side of the whole
      thing. That's the part I don't like about it. But then, I prefer building
      the costumes rather than designing them--most of the time. I love the
      research, so maybe I should find a grad school with a dramaturgy major as
      well as a good costuming major. ^_^

      Hope this helps.

      ----Raven