RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002

      I  think you would have to put the unitard on, and then have someone paint the designs on for you, and then wear it until the paint is dry.  Or, have someone else wear it while you paint, etc.

      -Jessie

      A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
      an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
      looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
      I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
      though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
      do i know if its available anymore....
      -dawn

      - - - - - - - - - -

    • blondiejar
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9 5:33 PM
        Chris,

        I was a propmaker here in Hollywood for several years. The raised
        webs on the movie costume were, in fact, made of foam rubber. They
        were individually hand-glued onto the finished suit to create the
        look you see. The rubber stretches with the movements of the body,
        but inevitably, pieces are bound to come unglued. There is a great
        interview on the Sony.com site with the costume designer. He talks
        about the process used to create the Spidey suit. Basically, the
        solid color fabric was chosen, then the small comb-pattern was
        silkscreened onto it; the pieces were cut and sewn to make the suit;
        the suit was then "muscle-enhanced"; next, the muscles were
        highlighted by airbrushing the contours of the muscles; the foam
        rubber webbing was applied to the suit; finally, the entire suit
        was "weathered" - meaning it was darkened and beaten up to look used
        and aged (this is done with various paints, sandpaper, etc).

        Creating your own costume similar to the movie suit is certainly a
        feasible task. I am planning on making my own for Halloween this
        year. But keep in mind, rumors circulated about the cost of each
        suit (over 20 were made for the film) - I heard an estimated $100,000
        per suit. This may sound outrageous (and it is), but considering how
        important the look of the character is, it's easy to see where the
        money went. If you are interested in knowing where you can find foam
        rubber supplies and other materials, let me know. I am going to be
        doing some research in the coming weeks/months. Good luck with your
        costume.

        Craig

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "jamison021" <hereandthere16@a...>

        http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/pictures/spiderman_costume2.jpg