Re: Fiddler On The Roof research help

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
      > > Can anyone help me with the particulars for costuming Fiddler On
      The
      > > Roof? I specifically need advice on how to make the prayer
      shawls,
      > > bottle dancer coats and hats, Russian soldiers, ideas for Fruma-
      Sarah,
      > > etc.

      When we did Fiddler in college, we actually made a wheeled platform
      (constructed of steel tubing), with a rail around the top, for Fruma
      Sarah (I'm not positive, but I believe there was also a harness that
      clipped to the rail, so she was stable with the motion of the
      platform). The whole thing was draped in black scrim fabric, which
      blended with her dress, and the platform was pushed around the stage
      by technicians inside, so that she had this really madly fluid,
      floating motion on stage. They also had some fake arms, so that her
      arms appeared proportional to her height (which was, by the time she
      was on the platform, a good 14 or 15 feet tall!). We also used a
      lot of blue in her makeup, but did all the highlights with UV makeup
      and hit her with a UV spot, so there was a very vivid face, floating
      in the air above Tevye, with just a shadowy dress underneath her and
      no details...because of the spot, the UV didn't cause any glow on
      Tevye's outfit.

      I don't remember too many other details about the show, aside from
      the fact that they had all the stage hands in costumes, and all of
      the set peices where on wheeled platforms so they could turn around
      individual buildings to set the scenes...it was the first show I
      worked on in college, so that's going back a long ways. But the
      effect from the Fruma Sarah rig was so cool that it really stuck in
      my mind.