Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Fiddler On The Roof research help

  • Margaret
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
      > Can anyone help me with the particulars for costuming Fiddler On The
      > Roof? I specifically need advice on how to make the prayer shawls,
      > bottle dancer coats and hats, Russian soldiers, ideas for Fruma-Sarah,
      > etc. Basic costuming is not my concern, but these specialty areas
      > are. I have a copy of the MGM movie starring Topol as Tevye as my only
      > reference so far.

      I did Fruma-Sarah many, many, many, m-a-n-y years ago, and I remember
      the costume being made from cheese cloth and white poly lining
      material. They wanted the costume to be flowy and spooky-looking. The
      cheese cloth was molded to my head and shoulders and mega-stiffened with
      starch. The poly was draped over everything, and flowed beautifully.
      Just remember to rip the ends to make them more ghost-like. And don't
      forget the make-up.

      If I remember rightly, the prayer shawls were rectangles of a stiff
      white material that got fringe sewn on, and then were painted to look
      like the movie. Don't remember about the rest, sorry.

      --
      Margaret

      I may not have gone where I intended to go,
      but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
      -- Douglas Adams
    • Sherman Talley and Raymond
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
        Tallis, also known as teh prayer shawls shoudlbe as tall as the man, they should ahve blue stripes. The tassles should be on teh corners. thsi si as close as you can get without borrowing from a Temple. Give a donation, and borrow from a temple.....
        The botle dance are supposed ot be black borsalano hats or Huckle hats. Fedoras in black will suffice.
        I love the idea about the magnets.. many men actuallyd o this dance by indenting the crown of the hat to make a pocket.

        Fruma sara.. Lazar wolfs wife.. pale down the face and hands. Find an oversized plain cotton muslin nightgown.
        age it. Add wisps of flimsy material at teh wrists and accross it t look like a death shroud.
        She loved pearls so multiple strands is a must.
        To place her up,, she can hang by a rigging for flying.. since she has to fly a bit anyway. the gown will hide it.

        Can anyone help me with the particulars for costuming Fiddler On The
        Roof? I specifically need advice on how to make the prayer shawls,
        bottle dancer coats and hats, Russian soldiers, ideas for Fruma-Sarah,
        etc. Basic costuming is not my concern, but these specialty areas
        are. I have a copy of the MGM movie starring Topol as Tevye as my only
        reference so far.
        Thanks,
        Annie

      • Sherry Ross
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
          We just did Fiddler on The roof...Brampton Ont. Canada-

          -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

          > Annie, do you live in an area that would have a synagogue? We did
          Fiddler
          > when I was in college (back in the late 70's) and the designer invited a
          > rabbi come into the shop and explain all the pieces and (this was
          > important) how to fashion them so they were not so accurate as to be
          taken
          > for real. It's the same principle of not putting a real nun's habit on
          > stage.
          >
          > As for the coats, they were made of black wool fabric that was felted
          > before construction. I seem to remember they were relatively
          > unstructured--now, that could have been a design element, or it
          could have
          > been because so many had to be turned out by a small shop with
          > inexperienced tailors.
          >
          > Our Fruma-Sarah was two people, one sitting on top of the other's
          > shoulders. The fabric was shredded and shroud like, like a heavy cheese
          > cloth, with a dye/paint treatment in purple, green, and browns. "Arms"
          > were rigged like the Muppets--on sticks, which the top half (aka Sarah)
          > manipulated. The bottom half (aka Fuma) was responsible for keeping the
          > whole creature upright and on two feet. But it was a wonderful, larger
          > than life, scary effect. Now, I'd probably want to add either
          > glow-in-the-dark or black light paint, too.
          >
          > Not too long ago there was a discussion about how to rig the bottle
          > dancer's bottles. Maybe someone else remembers?
          >
          > Good Luck!
          >
          > ~lisa.s, who started humming "Tradition!" when she read the subject line
          > ----
          > > Can anyone help me with the particulars for costuming Fiddler On The
          > > Roof? I specifically need advice on how to make the prayer shawls,
          > > bottle dancer coats and hats, Russian soldiers, ideas for Fruma-Sarah

        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 21, 2006
            > > Can anyone help me with the particulars for costuming Fiddler On
            The
            > > Roof? I specifically need advice on how to make the prayer
            shawls,
            > > bottle dancer coats and hats, Russian soldiers, ideas for Fruma-
            Sarah,
            > > etc.

            When we did Fiddler in college, we actually made a wheeled platform
            (constructed of steel tubing), with a rail around the top, for Fruma
            Sarah (I'm not positive, but I believe there was also a harness that
            clipped to the rail, so she was stable with the motion of the
            platform). The whole thing was draped in black scrim fabric, which
            blended with her dress, and the platform was pushed around the stage
            by technicians inside, so that she had this really madly fluid,
            floating motion on stage. They also had some fake arms, so that her
            arms appeared proportional to her height (which was, by the time she
            was on the platform, a good 14 or 15 feet tall!). We also used a
            lot of blue in her makeup, but did all the highlights with UV makeup
            and hit her with a UV spot, so there was a very vivid face, floating
            in the air above Tevye, with just a shadowy dress underneath her and
            no details...because of the spot, the UV didn't cause any glow on
            Tevye's outfit.

            I don't remember too many other details about the show, aside from
            the fact that they had all the stage hands in costumes, and all of
            the set peices where on wheeled platforms so they could turn around
            individual buildings to set the scenes...it was the first show I
            worked on in college, so that's going back a long ways. But the
            effect from the Fruma Sarah rig was so cool that it really stuck in
            my mind.