Nail Polish Removal

  • bobbye_crawford
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2006
      A deep magenta metallic nail polish was dropped onto 100% cotton
      flannel. The item has not been washed. Is it possible to completely
      remove this stain? I have not yet used anything on it.
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 20, 2006
        Is the flannel white or a color? Cotton is not affected by acetone,
        the solvent in nail polish remover (use a non-oily remover if
        possible). The dye might react, though. So, if it's colored, test
        first in an out-of-the-way spot to see if the dye reacts. If not, or
        if white, first saturate the spot from the back with the remover,
        with a paper towel under the front to absorb the dissolved polish and
        excess remover. Keep putting a clean area under the spot (careful
        not to get the residue on other parts of the fabric) until the
        stiffness of the polish is gone - hopefully most of the color will be
        gone also. Rinse with cold water. If there is a spot remaining, and
        the item is white, dilute a small amount of chlorine bleach with cold
        water (50/50) and dab on to see if it removes the color. Rinse well
        again. If the item is colored, try a paste of Oxy-clean or
        similar. Don't use hot water until the spot is gone.

        HTH,
        Sandy

        At 10:55 AM 12/20/2006, you wrote:

        >A deep magenta metallic nail polish was dropped onto 100% cotton
        >flannel. The item has not been washed. Is it possible to completely
        >remove this stain? I have not yet used anything on it.

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm