RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume

  • yum-yi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
      A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
      an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
      looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
      I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
      though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
      do i know if its available anymore....
      -dawn

      http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/pictures/spiderman_costume2.jpg

      > I want to get one custom made so it will fit me
      > perfectly and not be
      > baggy like most I saw in pictures.
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone or
      > knows of someone
      > who can do a custom made suit like this in as much
      > detail as the
      > picture. I know it will most like be expensive that
      > isnt an issue I
      > just want high quality.
      >
      > Any help would be appreaciated...
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > chris

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • DARK GOD
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
        its more likley that the webbing is scilcone rubber made from a well
        pollished mold rather than puffer paint (nasty stuff i think) any way thats
        hat i recon or a lo rise foam latex but thats harder to make look matalic
        but would take paint beter than scilicon and as for the blue part of the
        suite once you have made it put it on a manaquine and air brush the patern
        in it with stencils as this will look better than trying to find fabric like
        that or air brushing a piece of fabric flat the hardest part will be the
        lenses to get then curves and that large so they look nice your talking a
        lot of polishing mayb you could get the fancy dress costume from hollywood
        costumes and alter it to it fits better im lucky in the fact that most
        costumes seem to fit me like a glove guess sometimes its good to be a little
        tubby lol.

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002

          I  think you would have to put the unitard on, and then have someone paint the designs on for you, and then wear it until the paint is dry.  Or, have someone else wear it while you paint, etc.

          -Jessie

          A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
          an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
          looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
          I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
          though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
          do i know if its available anymore....
          -dawn

          - - - - - - - - - -

        • blondiejar
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2002
            Chris,

            I was a propmaker here in Hollywood for several years. The raised
            webs on the movie costume were, in fact, made of foam rubber. They
            were individually hand-glued onto the finished suit to create the
            look you see. The rubber stretches with the movements of the body,
            but inevitably, pieces are bound to come unglued. There is a great
            interview on the Sony.com site with the costume designer. He talks
            about the process used to create the Spidey suit. Basically, the
            solid color fabric was chosen, then the small comb-pattern was
            silkscreened onto it; the pieces were cut and sewn to make the suit;
            the suit was then "muscle-enhanced"; next, the muscles were
            highlighted by airbrushing the contours of the muscles; the foam
            rubber webbing was applied to the suit; finally, the entire suit
            was "weathered" - meaning it was darkened and beaten up to look used
            and aged (this is done with various paints, sandpaper, etc).

            Creating your own costume similar to the movie suit is certainly a
            feasible task. I am planning on making my own for Halloween this
            year. But keep in mind, rumors circulated about the cost of each
            suit (over 20 were made for the film) - I heard an estimated $100,000
            per suit. This may sound outrageous (and it is), but considering how
            important the look of the character is, it's easy to see where the
            money went. If you are interested in knowing where you can find foam
            rubber supplies and other materials, let me know. I am going to be
            doing some research in the coming weeks/months. Good luck with your
            costume.

            Craig

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "jamison021" <hereandthere16@a...>