RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume

  • DARK GOD
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
      hello if your after the new spider man suite you can buy one of
      www.hollywoodcostumes.com i think thats the address if not just go to google
      and look up hollywood costumes thay have a huge rainge of costumes and
      accesaries any way thair is a MOVIE spider man outfit out now with lenses in
      the eyes rather than the crapy eye holes they had in the standard out fit so
      i hope this elps you out and any one esle its worth having a look at the
      site any way.
      teh sloopster

      >From: "Contessa" <contessa@...>
      >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume
      >Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:41:33 -0800
      >
      >it looks like spandex.
      >
      >you can try http://www.spandexwear.com/ however, they are back logged at
      >making costumes and emails because the webmaser is having surgery, but I
      >think they will be caught up way before halloween.
      >
      >you can check out the fabric. You can order a costume made or order the
      >fabric and make it yourself.
      >
      >good luck. Contessa

    • yum-yi
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
        A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
        an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
        looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
        I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
        though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
        do i know if its available anymore....
        -dawn

        http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • DARK GOD
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
          its more likley that the webbing is scilcone rubber made from a well
          pollished mold rather than puffer paint (nasty stuff i think) any way thats
          hat i recon or a lo rise foam latex but thats harder to make look matalic
          but would take paint beter than scilicon and as for the blue part of the
          suite once you have made it put it on a manaquine and air brush the patern
          in it with stencils as this will look better than trying to find fabric like
          that or air brushing a piece of fabric flat the hardest part will be the
          lenses to get then curves and that large so they look nice your talking a
          lot of polishing mayb you could get the fancy dress costume from hollywood
          costumes and alter it to it fits better im lucky in the fact that most
          costumes seem to fit me like a glove guess sometimes its good to be a little
          tubby lol.

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002

            I  think you would have to put the unitard on, and then have someone paint the designs on for you, and then wear it until the paint is dry.  Or, have someone else wear it while you paint, etc.

            -Jessie

            A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
            an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
            looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
            I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
            though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
            do i know if its available anymore....
            -dawn

            - - - - - - - - - -

          • blondiejar
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2002
              Chris,

              I was a propmaker here in Hollywood for several years. The raised
              webs on the movie costume were, in fact, made of foam rubber. They
              were individually hand-glued onto the finished suit to create the
              look you see. The rubber stretches with the movements of the body,
              but inevitably, pieces are bound to come unglued. There is a great
              interview on the Sony.com site with the costume designer. He talks
              about the process used to create the Spidey suit. Basically, the
              solid color fabric was chosen, then the small comb-pattern was
              silkscreened onto it; the pieces were cut and sewn to make the suit;
              the suit was then "muscle-enhanced"; next, the muscles were
              highlighted by airbrushing the contours of the muscles; the foam
              rubber webbing was applied to the suit; finally, the entire suit
              was "weathered" - meaning it was darkened and beaten up to look used
              and aged (this is done with various paints, sandpaper, etc).

              Creating your own costume similar to the movie suit is certainly a
              feasible task. I am planning on making my own for Halloween this
              year. But keep in mind, rumors circulated about the cost of each
              suit (over 20 were made for the film) - I heard an estimated $100,000
              per suit. This may sound outrageous (and it is), but considering how
              important the look of the character is, it's easy to see where the
              money went. If you are interested in knowing where you can find foam
              rubber supplies and other materials, let me know. I am going to be
              doing some research in the coming weeks/months. Good luck with your
              costume.

              Craig

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "jamison021" <hereandthere16@a...>