RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume

  • Contessa
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2002
      it looks like spandex.

      you can try http://www.spandexwear.com/ however, they are back logged at
      making costumes and emails because the webmaser is having surgery, but I
      think they will be caught up way before halloween.

      you can check out the fabric. You can order a costume made or order the
      fabric and make it yourself.

      good luck. Contessa

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 3:20 AM
        hello if your after the new spider man suite you can buy one of
        www.hollywoodcostumes.com i think thats the address if not just go to google
        and look up hollywood costumes thay have a huge rainge of costumes and
        accesaries any way thair is a MOVIE spider man outfit out now with lenses in
        the eyes rather than the crapy eye holes they had in the standard out fit so
        i hope this elps you out and any one esle its worth having a look at the
        site any way.
        teh sloopster

        >From: "Contessa" <contessa@...>
        >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume
        >Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:41:33 -0800
        >
        >it looks like spandex.
        >
        >you can try http://www.spandexwear.com/ however, they are back logged at
        >making costumes and emails because the webmaser is having surgery, but I
        >think they will be caught up way before halloween.
        >
        >you can check out the fabric. You can order a costume made or order the
        >fabric and make it yourself.
        >
        >good luck. Contessa

      • yum-yi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 7:02 PM
          A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
          an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
          looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
          I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
          though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
          do i know if its available anymore....
          -dawn

          http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • DARK GOD
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2 12:28 PM
            its more likley that the webbing is scilcone rubber made from a well
            pollished mold rather than puffer paint (nasty stuff i think) any way thats
            hat i recon or a lo rise foam latex but thats harder to make look matalic
            but would take paint beter than scilicon and as for the blue part of the
            suite once you have made it put it on a manaquine and air brush the patern
            in it with stencils as this will look better than trying to find fabric like
            that or air brushing a piece of fabric flat the hardest part will be the
            lenses to get then curves and that large so they look nice your talking a
            lot of polishing mayb you could get the fancy dress costume from hollywood
            costumes and alter it to it fits better im lucky in the fact that most
            costumes seem to fit me like a glove guess sometimes its good to be a little
            tubby lol.

          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2 3:42 PM

              I  think you would have to put the unitard on, and then have someone paint the designs on for you, and then wear it until the paint is dry.  Or, have someone else wear it while you paint, etc.

              -Jessie

              A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
              an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
              looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
              I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
              though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
              do i know if its available anymore....
              -dawn

              - - - - - - - - - -

            • blondiejar
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2002
                Chris,

                I was a propmaker here in Hollywood for several years. The raised
                webs on the movie costume were, in fact, made of foam rubber. They
                were individually hand-glued onto the finished suit to create the
                look you see. The rubber stretches with the movements of the body,
                but inevitably, pieces are bound to come unglued. There is a great
                interview on the Sony.com site with the costume designer. He talks
                about the process used to create the Spidey suit. Basically, the
                solid color fabric was chosen, then the small comb-pattern was
                silkscreened onto it; the pieces were cut and sewn to make the suit;
                the suit was then "muscle-enhanced"; next, the muscles were
                highlighted by airbrushing the contours of the muscles; the foam
                rubber webbing was applied to the suit; finally, the entire suit
                was "weathered" - meaning it was darkened and beaten up to look used
                and aged (this is done with various paints, sandpaper, etc).

                Creating your own costume similar to the movie suit is certainly a
                feasible task. I am planning on making my own for Halloween this
                year. But keep in mind, rumors circulated about the cost of each
                suit (over 20 were made for the film) - I heard an estimated $100,000
                per suit. This may sound outrageous (and it is), but considering how
                important the look of the character is, it's easy to see where the
                money went. If you are interested in knowing where you can find foam
                rubber supplies and other materials, let me know. I am going to be
                doing some research in the coming weeks/months. Good luck with your
                costume.

                Craig

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "jamison021" <hereandthere16@a...>