spiderman costume

  • jamison021
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2002
      I want to get an early start for my halloween costume and I want to
      dress up as spiderman. I searched all over the net and looked at
      various costumes, but I wanted one that looked exactly like the
      Spiderman Movie suit.

      I know the movie isnt even out yet so maybe none of you have seen
      what the costume looks like so here is a link to show you:
      http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/pictures/spiderman_costume2.jpg

      I want to get one custom made so it will fit me perfectly and not be
      baggy like most I saw in pictures.

      I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone or knows of someone
      who can do a custom made suit like this in as much detail as the
      picture. I know it will most like be expensive that isnt an issue I
      just want high quality.

      Any help would be appreaciated...

      thanks

      chris
    • Contessa
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2002
        it looks like spandex.

        you can try http://www.spandexwear.com/ however, they are back logged at
        making costumes and emails because the webmaser is having surgery, but I
        think they will be caught up way before halloween.

        you can check out the fabric. You can order a costume made or order the
        fabric and make it yourself.

        good luck. Contessa

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
          hello if your after the new spider man suite you can buy one of
          www.hollywoodcostumes.com i think thats the address if not just go to google
          and look up hollywood costumes thay have a huge rainge of costumes and
          accesaries any way thair is a MOVIE spider man outfit out now with lenses in
          the eyes rather than the crapy eye holes they had in the standard out fit so
          i hope this elps you out and any one esle its worth having a look at the
          site any way.
          teh sloopster

          >From: "Contessa" <contessa@...>
          >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] spiderman costume
          >Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:41:33 -0800
          >
          >it looks like spandex.
          >
          >you can try http://www.spandexwear.com/ however, they are back logged at
          >making costumes and emails because the webmaser is having surgery, but I
          >think they will be caught up way before halloween.
          >
          >you can check out the fabric. You can order a costume made or order the
          >fabric and make it yourself.
          >
          >good luck. Contessa

        • yum-yi
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
            A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
            an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
            looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
            I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
            though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
            do i know if its available anymore....
            -dawn

            http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • DARK GOD
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
              its more likley that the webbing is scilcone rubber made from a well
              pollished mold rather than puffer paint (nasty stuff i think) any way thats
              hat i recon or a lo rise foam latex but thats harder to make look matalic
              but would take paint beter than scilicon and as for the blue part of the
              suite once you have made it put it on a manaquine and air brush the patern
              in it with stencils as this will look better than trying to find fabric like
              that or air brushing a piece of fabric flat the hardest part will be the
              lenses to get then curves and that large so they look nice your talking a
              lot of polishing mayb you could get the fancy dress costume from hollywood
              costumes and alter it to it fits better im lucky in the fact that most
              costumes seem to fit me like a glove guess sometimes its good to be a little
              tubby lol.

            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002

                I  think you would have to put the unitard on, and then have someone paint the designs on for you, and then wear it until the paint is dry.  Or, have someone else wear it while you paint, etc.

                -Jessie

                A bit off this particular topic, but does anyone have
                an idea how to do the slightly slick, metallic
                looking, puffy "webbing" on this particular costume?
                I'm vaguely reminded of the 1980's puff paint...
                though I dont remember that stretching at all.... nor
                do i know if its available anymore....
                -dawn

                - - - - - - - - - -

              • blondiejar
                Message 7 of 7 , May 9 5:33 PM
                  Chris,

                  I was a propmaker here in Hollywood for several years. The raised
                  webs on the movie costume were, in fact, made of foam rubber. They
                  were individually hand-glued onto the finished suit to create the
                  look you see. The rubber stretches with the movements of the body,
                  but inevitably, pieces are bound to come unglued. There is a great
                  interview on the Sony.com site with the costume designer. He talks
                  about the process used to create the Spidey suit. Basically, the
                  solid color fabric was chosen, then the small comb-pattern was
                  silkscreened onto it; the pieces were cut and sewn to make the suit;
                  the suit was then "muscle-enhanced"; next, the muscles were
                  highlighted by airbrushing the contours of the muscles; the foam
                  rubber webbing was applied to the suit; finally, the entire suit
                  was "weathered" - meaning it was darkened and beaten up to look used
                  and aged (this is done with various paints, sandpaper, etc).

                  Creating your own costume similar to the movie suit is certainly a
                  feasible task. I am planning on making my own for Halloween this
                  year. But keep in mind, rumors circulated about the cost of each
                  suit (over 20 were made for the film) - I heard an estimated $100,000
                  per suit. This may sound outrageous (and it is), but considering how
                  important the look of the character is, it's easy to see where the
                  money went. If you are interested in knowing where you can find foam
                  rubber supplies and other materials, let me know. I am going to be
                  doing some research in the coming weeks/months. Good luck with your
                  costume.

                  Craig

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "jamison021" <hereandthere16@a...>