Fwd: Theatre Museum in London

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2006
      Sorry to spam everyone, I normally don't do this, but what I fondly believe to be the best museum of Theatre in the world may have to close it's doors in one month if enough people don't make a big noise about it. Please go to these sites, see what you will be missing if they close, and add your name to the signatories asking the British Goverment to please keep this open. I have checked this, it is not a hoax. --Tara of UAF and The Costumer's Manifesto

      >>>Subject: Fwd: The Theatre Museum in London

      The Theatre Museum in London, a branch of the Victoria and Albert Museum, is
      threatened with closure. The museum, which contains an extensive collection
      of all sorts of materials on all types of theatre, including many items of
      interest to musicologists, dealing with, for example, opera, Covent Garden,
      Handel, Gilbert and Sullivan, and so on. For more on the Theatre Museum, go
      to their website: http://www.theatremuseum.org.uk/default.php.

      The reasons behind the closure are supposedly financial, but it seems like
      there is more to the story than just that. Now, a group called "Guardians
      of the Theatre Museum" has been formed to help keep
      it open. They are looking to get the names of at least 100,000 people who
      object to its closing by the end of the month. Their goals are stated
      below, and I would encourage all serious researchers of music and theatre to
      participate in their attempt to keep the museum open.
      Jeff Dailey
      DrJSDailey@...

      The V & A will CLOSE the Theatre Museum on January 7th. A campaign has now
      been launched to prevent this happening, to allow time for proper
      consultation about its future and to ensure the continuation of this vital
      resource.

      Please add your name in support. We are not asking you to give money or
      effort. People are signing up every minute. We want to get 100,000 names by
      Christmas - with your help we may get many more. Just follow these three
      simple steps:
      Log on to our website http://www.theatremuseumguardians.org.uk/
      Which will also give you more background
      Fill in your name
      Tick a couple of boxes
      THAT¢S ALL. Please do it NOW. Thanks

      Apologies if you receive this from more than one source. We are block
      e-mailing to as many people as possible and would be grateful if you would
      pass the message on to your contacts. Tell your colleagues, friends,
      students, lovers - even your enemies if you think they'd care!
      <<<

      Alexandra Bonds
      Professor of Costume Design
      Department of Theatre Arts
      1231 University of Oregon
      Eugene, OR 97403

      Phone: 541 346-4194
      Fax: 541 346-1978

      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Professor & Costume Designer,
      Department of Theatre, University of Alaska Fairbanks

    • Costume Gallery
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2006
        I agree this museum is absolutely wonderful-!!
        Joy

        Costume Gallery
        638 Monmouth Street
        Newport, Kentucky 41071