Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] costuming Oklahoma!

  • k weast
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
      Thank you very much.

      llsturts@... wrote: I found the book "Wisconsin Death Trip" by Michael Lesy to be an
      invaluable research resource. It's a strange book from our "modern"
      perspective, with a rather gruesome compilation of period photographs. You
      just have to remind yourself you're doing a brightly colored musical when
      looking at the pictures!

      As popular as Oklahoma! is, I'm sure any rental company will be able to
      supply you with costumes. Don't know where you are located, but many major
      cities have costume houses. I'm in Michigan and when needed, I use
      Broadway Costumes <www.broadwaycostumes.com/> out of Chicago. Scroll down
      the page to Show Rentals for information. They are helpful people at the
      end of the telephone line, too.

      ~lisa.s
      ---

      > I am a director who also has to costume the musical Oklahoma! Please
      > point me in the right direction. I need to see what the fashion was in
      > Oklahoma of the farmer,cowboy women and children. I find many pictures
      > of what city fashions were but not the country working class.
      >
      > Also rental companies and places to find patterns would be extremely
      > beneficial.

      "Working in the theater has a lot in common with unemployment." - Arthur Gingold

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
        In a message dated 12/6/2006 6:41:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        k_weast@... writes:

        I need to see what the fashion was in
        Oklahoma of the farmer,cowboy women and children. I find many pictures
        of what city fashions were but not the country working class.

        Also rental companies and places to find patterns would be extremely

        One source of patterns is Alter-Years. They now have some of their patterns
        on their web site. _http://www.alteryears.com/_ (http://www.alteryears.com/)

        Below is a site with some general information on the type of costume you are
        looking for. One thing may want to consider with the time issue is that the
        farm probably was a few years behind on fashion, and the older women would
        tend to wear less up to date clothing than the younger ladies.

        _http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/mayors_past/life_in_1880s_o.html_
        (http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/mayors_past/life_in_1880s_o.html)

        _http://www.folkwear.com/_ (http://www.folkwear.com/)

        "Little House On the Prairie", and the series, "Anne of Green Gables" were
        both set "about the turn of the century" as was "Oklahoma", so costumes
        _should_ be somewhat similar.....assuming the costumers didn't use too much creative
        license!

        _http://www.vpll.org/catalog/products_new.php_
        (http://www.vpll.org/catalog/products_new.php) few patterns from the turn of the century, but for future
        reference,this has a lending library of vintage patterns.

        Hope these start the wheels turning in your head.

        Alexa....who fondly remembers performing in OK in the Azores ( military
        base) ,singing, "the clock just ticks the time away, there's no relief in
        sight.....
        or something along those lines!!! Hey, it's been 30+ years!!!!LOL

      • Susan Cassidy
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
          Some older commercial patterns I’ve used for the women of that period are
          McCall’s 9423 for apron, sunbonnet , and a shift-style dress, I’ve used
          McCall’s 5272 for a very easy to make high –necked v-waisted bodice dress,
          and it has a scoop neck, short-sleeve version that’s good for the
          party/auction scene. These are older and may not be available any longer.

          Take a look at Butterick 3992 and 4569 for little girl—I know it says
          colonial, but it wouldn’t have changed much out on the prairie. McCall’s
          4548, too. I found lots online at SewingPatterns.com

          By the way, PBS’s series “Frontier House” was on TV while I was in
          rehearsal, and I found it fascinating. There was even a wedding on the
          prairie. I love research. While it’s set in Montana in 1883, life in the
          Oklahoma territory wouldn’t have been much different. It was great
          background for understanding the challenges and hardships of the time
          period, and how joyous an occasion a wedding would be with the entire
          community participating.

          Good luck with your production. I had a lovely time on my surrey ride!

          _____