RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] costuming Oklahoma!

  • k weast
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
      Thank you very much.

      Susan Cassidy <susabela@...> wrote: Our group in New Hampshire did Oklahoma! in Aug. 2005. I’d recommend looking
      at the DVD version with Hugh Jackman as Curly. To get an idea of costumes,
      here’s a link to my online photo albums—just click on “Oklahoma!”
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/susabela/my_photos

      Email if you have more questions.

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
        Thank you very much.

        llsturts@... wrote: I found the book "Wisconsin Death Trip" by Michael Lesy to be an
        invaluable research resource. It's a strange book from our "modern"
        perspective, with a rather gruesome compilation of period photographs. You
        just have to remind yourself you're doing a brightly colored musical when
        looking at the pictures!

        As popular as Oklahoma! is, I'm sure any rental company will be able to
        supply you with costumes. Don't know where you are located, but many major
        cities have costume houses. I'm in Michigan and when needed, I use
        Broadway Costumes <www.broadwaycostumes.com/> out of Chicago. Scroll down
        the page to Show Rentals for information. They are helpful people at the
        end of the telephone line, too.

        ~lisa.s
        ---

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
          I have the video's. However, I really like to do extremely realistic costuming. Sometimes, those movies see to glamorize and pretty up what is realistic.

          I need patterns. That is the question.

          Kathy Hannon <lotsakats1@...> wrote:
          You can always rent the video or dvd of past productions - that would be the best place to start. It would give you a good idea of what was worn and what worked with the dancers. I seem to remember lots of square dancing skirts, jeans, flannel shirts and cowboy boots for the most part.

          k_weast <k_weast@...> wrote: I am a director who also has to costume the musical Oklahoma! Please
          point me in the right direction. I need to see what the fashion was in
          Oklahoma of the farmer,cowboy women and children. I find many pictures
          of what city fashions were but not the country working class.

          Also rental companies and places to find patterns would be extremely
          beneficial.
          Thank you.

          =^.^=

          "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
          It would improve the man,
          but it would deteriorate the cat."
          Mark Twain
          Please note that Mark Twain specified
          that the cross would improve the MAN,
          no need to include women in that.
          Women and cats are perfect as is.

          "Working in the theater has a lot in common with unemployment." - Arthur Gingold

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
            In a message dated 12/6/2006 6:41:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            k_weast@... writes:

            I need to see what the fashion was in
            Oklahoma of the farmer,cowboy women and children. I find many pictures
            of what city fashions were but not the country working class.

            Also rental companies and places to find patterns would be extremely

            One source of patterns is Alter-Years. They now have some of their patterns
            on their web site. _http://www.alteryears.com/_ (http://www.alteryears.com/)

            Below is a site with some general information on the type of costume you are
            looking for. One thing may want to consider with the time issue is that the
            farm probably was a few years behind on fashion, and the older women would
            tend to wear less up to date clothing than the younger ladies.

            _http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/mayors_past/life_in_1880s_o.html_
            (http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/mayors_past/life_in_1880s_o.html)

            _http://www.folkwear.com/_ (http://www.folkwear.com/)

            "Little House On the Prairie", and the series, "Anne of Green Gables" were
            both set "about the turn of the century" as was "Oklahoma", so costumes
            _should_ be somewhat similar.....assuming the costumers didn't use too much creative
            license!

            _http://www.vpll.org/catalog/products_new.php_
            (http://www.vpll.org/catalog/products_new.php) few patterns from the turn of the century, but for future
            reference,this has a lending library of vintage patterns.

            Hope these start the wheels turning in your head.

            Alexa....who fondly remembers performing in OK in the Azores ( military
            base) ,singing, "the clock just ticks the time away, there's no relief in
            sight.....
            or something along those lines!!! Hey, it's been 30+ years!!!!LOL

          • Susan Cassidy
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
              Some older commercial patterns I’ve used for the women of that period are
              McCall’s 9423 for apron, sunbonnet , and a shift-style dress, I’ve used
              McCall’s 5272 for a very easy to make high –necked v-waisted bodice dress,
              and it has a scoop neck, short-sleeve version that’s good for the
              party/auction scene. These are older and may not be available any longer.

              Take a look at Butterick 3992 and 4569 for little girl—I know it says
              colonial, but it wouldn’t have changed much out on the prairie. McCall’s
              4548, too. I found lots online at SewingPatterns.com

              By the way, PBS’s series “Frontier House” was on TV while I was in
              rehearsal, and I found it fascinating. There was even a wedding on the
              prairie. I love research. While it’s set in Montana in 1883, life in the
              Oklahoma territory wouldn’t have been much different. It was great
              background for understanding the challenges and hardships of the time
              period, and how joyous an occasion a wedding would be with the entire
              community participating.

              Good luck with your production. I had a lovely time on my surrey ride!

              _____

              http://pg.photos <http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/susabela/my_photos>