Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Applying rhinestones

  • Costume Gallery
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
      Use sticky Stuff. I'm not sure of the correct Brand name. Any type
      of sticky product that you hang posters with will work. It is
      pliable and molds into little balls. Think of that product that
      teachers use to hang posters in their classrooms. I have used this
      on the end of any orange stick.

      Good Luck
      Joy
      Costume Gallery
      638 Monmouth St.
      Newport, KY 41071
      859-655-9419
      costumegallery@...
      www.costumegallery-newport.com

      On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:26 AM, sewinmommy wrote:

      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "iom315" <IOM315@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > resembled
      > > the end of a Q-tip. It looked like they were glueing the stones
      > on
      > > with an E6000 type product. Whatever was on the end of the skewer
      > was
      > > sticky enough to hold the stone until it was mounted. Any idea
      > what
      > > was on the end of the skewer?
      > >
      > > Then in an email from MJ Trims I noticed that in their rhinestone
      > kit
      > > to decorate cell phones they included an applicator/stick with
      > > beeswax for picking up the stones. But I am having a hard time
      > > finding beeswax that is plyable. Any suggestions?
      > >
      > I have used E6000, works great but I have been advised that after 6
      > years or so the glue yellows, I have also used gem Tack from Beacon.
      > This works good but takes a little longer to dry than the E6000.
      >
      > For beeswax that is plyable try the toilet ring that plumbers use. I
      > have used it and it worked ok. Very plyable and a little goes along
      > way.
      > Hope this helps

    • i_collect_books
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
        Rhinestone Guy sells toothpicks with a little glob of dental wax on
        the end. You can go look at them on his website (rhinestoneguy.com).
        I make my own using the stuff kids use on their braces - you can get
        it at Walmart very cheaply. You put a small pea sized glob on a
        toothpick to look like a Qtip. You hold it in your hand to make the
        was very pliable then roll the tip to a very sharp point. Use the
        point to pick up the rhinestone, place in the glue and release the
        stone with a sharp twist. I do a lot of dance costumes. With use
        and cleaning/washing, E-6000 will either peel off of the fabric or
        the stones will peel off of the glue. Sometimes it will melt the
        plastic stones. I've had really good luck with gem-tac, holds well
        through washings and takes a lot of abuse from dancers. Works well
        for up to about 30 ss crystal stones. You can glue even bigger
        acrylic stones with it.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
          Fabric-Tac glue works great, too. I love the heat set rhinestones
          from Creative Crystal. They really stick through use, washing & dry
          cleaning.

          Joy
          Costume Gallery
          638 Monmouth Street
          Newport, Kentucky 41071
          859-655-9419

        • zonironi66@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
            I think it's called Sticky Tack. My kids used to use it for hanging posters
            in their rooms.