Applying rhinestones

  • iom315
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I need a little help. I'm madly working on Mardi Gras presentation
      gowns. The gowns are based on the Imperial Easter Eggs so there are
      lots of stones. Because of the budget I am having to use acrylic
      (hate 'em)instead of the usual crystal. The acrylic stones seem to
      easily get a film on them when I use my regular methods of picking
      them up to set in glue...Floral putty, double stick tape, a touch of
      hot glue from a glue pot...that was a disaster. Tweezers take to
      long and I can't stand the flying stones!

      What do you use to pick up rhinestones when you glue them on a
      costume?

      I saw a costuming segment on Dancing with the Stars, they were using
      a long stick/skewer with something on the end of it that resembled
      the end of a Q-tip. It looked like they were glueing the stones on
      with an E6000 type product. Whatever was on the end of the skewer was
      sticky enough to hold the stone until it was mounted. Any idea what
      was on the end of the skewer?

      Then in an email from MJ Trims I noticed that in their rhinestone kit
      to decorate cell phones they included an applicator/stick with
      beeswax for picking up the stones. But I am having a hard time
      finding beeswax that is plyable. Any suggestions?

      Thanks for your help.
      DL Dixon
      Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.
    • Alexadbw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
        In a message dated 11/30/2006 6:12:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        IOM315@... writes:

        What do you use to pick up rhinestones when you glue them on a
        costume?

        I recently put rhinestones on a costume and had to center them in a small
        circle of embroidery. I used a 3 to 4 inch strip of clear tape to pick up the
        stone and place in exactly in place. I had enough space between each stone to
        stick the tape to the costume to keep the stone from shifting. I would think
        that any residue on the stone cold be wiped off after the glue dries and
        cures. If you have the trial stones handy you could try and see how well they
        clean up. If you have a hot set wand you use for crystals, you might be able
        to use it cold to place the stones in the glue.
        Alexa

      • sewinmommy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "iom315" <IOM315@...>
          wrote:

          > resembled
          > the end of a Q-tip. It looked like they were glueing the stones
          on
          > with an E6000 type product. Whatever was on the end of the skewer
          was
          > sticky enough to hold the stone until it was mounted. Any idea
          what
          > was on the end of the skewer?
          >
          > Then in an email from MJ Trims I noticed that in their rhinestone
          kit
          > to decorate cell phones they included an applicator/stick with
          > beeswax for picking up the stones. But I am having a hard time
          > finding beeswax that is plyable. Any suggestions?

          I have used E6000, works great but I have been advised that after 6
          years or so the glue yellows, I have also used gem Tack from Beacon.
          This works good but takes a little longer to dry than the E6000.

          For beeswax that is plyable try the toilet ring that plumbers use. I
          have used it and it worked ok. Very plyable and a little goes along
          way.
          Hope this helps
        • Costume Gallery
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
            Use sticky Stuff. I'm not sure of the correct Brand name. Any type
            of sticky product that you hang posters with will work. It is
            pliable and molds into little balls. Think of that product that
            teachers use to hang posters in their classrooms. I have used this
            on the end of any orange stick.

            Good Luck
            Joy
            Costume Gallery
            638 Monmouth St.
            Newport, KY 41071
            859-655-9419
            costumegallery@...
            www.costumegallery-newport.com

            On Nov 30, 2006, at 9:26 AM, sewinmommy wrote:

            > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "iom315" <IOM315@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > resembled
            > > the end of a Q-tip. It looked like they were glueing the stones
            > on
            > > with an E6000 type product. Whatever was on the end of the skewer
            > was
            > > sticky enough to hold the stone until it was mounted. Any idea
            > what
            > > was on the end of the skewer?
            > >
            > > Then in an email from MJ Trims I noticed that in their rhinestone
            > kit
            > > to decorate cell phones they included an applicator/stick with
            > > beeswax for picking up the stones. But I am having a hard time
            > > finding beeswax that is plyable. Any suggestions?
            > >
            > I have used E6000, works great but I have been advised that after 6
            > years or so the glue yellows, I have also used gem Tack from Beacon.
            > This works good but takes a little longer to dry than the E6000.
            >
            > For beeswax that is plyable try the toilet ring that plumbers use. I
            > have used it and it worked ok. Very plyable and a little goes along
            > way.
            > Hope this helps

          • i_collect_books
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
              Rhinestone Guy sells toothpicks with a little glob of dental wax on
              the end. You can go look at them on his website (rhinestoneguy.com).
              I make my own using the stuff kids use on their braces - you can get
              it at Walmart very cheaply. You put a small pea sized glob on a
              toothpick to look like a Qtip. You hold it in your hand to make the
              was very pliable then roll the tip to a very sharp point. Use the
              point to pick up the rhinestone, place in the glue and release the
              stone with a sharp twist. I do a lot of dance costumes. With use
              and cleaning/washing, E-6000 will either peel off of the fabric or
              the stones will peel off of the glue. Sometimes it will melt the
              plastic stones. I've had really good luck with gem-tac, holds well
              through washings and takes a lot of abuse from dancers. Works well
              for up to about 30 ss crystal stones. You can glue even bigger
              acrylic stones with it.

              > I saw a costuming segment on Dancing with the Stars, they were
              using
              > a long stick/skewer with something on the end of it that resembled
              > the end of a Q-tip. It looked like they were glueing the stones on
              > with an E6000 type product. Whatever was on the end of the skewer
              was
              > sticky enough to hold the stone until it was mounted. Any idea
              what
              > was on the end of the skewer?
              >
              > Then in an email from MJ Trims I noticed that in their rhinestone
              kit
              > to decorate cell phones they included an applicator/stick with
              > beeswax for picking up the stones. But I am having a hard time
              > finding beeswax that is plyable. Any suggestions?
            • Curtis
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
                wrote:

                > Then in an email from MJ Trims I noticed that in their rhinestone
                kit
                > to decorate cell phones they included an applicator/stick with
                > beeswax for picking up the stones. But I am having a hard time
                > finding beeswax that is plyable. Any suggestions?

                Go to an archery shop. It would need to be one that caters to a wider
                variety of archers--but beeswax is used to wax bowstrings on older
                style bows (I don't think compound bows are waxed that often, I've
                never had one). It's kind of stiff when you first get it, but if you
                work it in your hands for a little while and warm it up, it gets
                softer. Typically comes in a small tube (about 1" around and 3" long).
              • Costume Gallery
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
                  Fabric-Tac glue works great, too. I love the heat set rhinestones
                  from Creative Crystal. They really stick through use, washing & dry
                  cleaning.

                  Joy
                  Costume Gallery
                  638 Monmouth Street
                  Newport, Kentucky 41071
                  859-655-9419

                • zonironi66@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
                    I think it's called Sticky Tack. My kids used to use it for hanging posters
                    in their rooms.