Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Fortuny Pleats question

Expand Messages
  • rebecca bunny flower
    I ve had great success dyeing poly bright colors with disperse dyes, but it has do be done in an extremely ventilated area, and I wore a gas mask. (It wasn t
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 25, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      I've had great success dyeing poly bright colors with disperse dyes, but it
      has do be done in an extremely ventilated area, and I wore a gas mask. (It
      wasn't easy, but I had a lot of fun doing it, maybe because I am especially
      weird.)

      I got mine from here: http://www.prochemical.com/catalog/disperse.htm and
      instructions are here:
      http://www.prochemical.com/directions.htm#PROsperse%20Disperse%20Dyes
      I'd suggest seriously reading the directions to decide if it's something
      you're willing to attempt.

      I'd like to reiterate, do not attempt this without ventilation and a mask.
      Don't do it anywhere near pets or other people who aren't similarly
      protected. Those are some noxious chemicals. The results were worth the
      trouble for me (I had to dye some polyester "fredericks of hollywood"-type
      corsets that were needed that week, and they came out bright and beautiful),
      but probably wouldn't be worth it to many others.

      Rebecca

      On 11/24/06, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:
      >
      > I didnt think acetate took dye very well, but it's been awhile since I
      > tried, so I'm not sure. And the rayon I was thinking of is pretty
      > soft. A crisper rayon would work but the pleats still will come out
      > with washing. I think polyester works the best and the pleats stay
      > in with washing, as I recall, but you can't dye poly more than a pastel
      > shade.
      >
      >
      > .
      >
      >
      >


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Something just occurred to me in regard to the poly/cotton pleated ruffle. It is possible the garment was dry cleaned instead of washed, in which case, that
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 25, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Something just occurred to me in regard to the poly/cotton pleated
        ruffle. It is possible the garment was dry cleaned instead of washed,
        in which case, that might have been why the pleats didn't come out.
        But it was just a petticoat, so it could have been washed. I'll have
        to try the technique again and see what happens with washing.

        Sylrog

        On Nov 25, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Aurora Celeste wrote:

        > You can do semi-permanent fortuny pleats on silk if you have a
        > well-ventilated craft room:
        >
        > http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Tips/CrushSilk.htm
        >
        > I've used the technique and after washing you just crinkle up again
        > and dry
        > in the dryer, and the pleats stay well.
        >
        > Aurora
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        >
        >

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        In a message dated 11/25/2006 12:00:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, sylvia@ntw.net writes: I think the reason commercially crinkled rayons stay crinkled
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 25, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          In a message dated 11/25/2006 12:00:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          sylvia@... writes:

          I think the reason commercially crinkled rayons stay crinkled
          throughout washing is the chemical process they use, which we can't
          duplicate in a costume shop.




          Actually, you have to re-twist them every time you wash them, and it
          **does** take a while to dry even in the dryer.


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Do you? I guess I ve never bought a crinkled skirt. I know the polyester crinkled fabric stays throughout washing. Again, it s the chemical process. Maybe
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 25, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Do you? I guess I've never bought a crinkled skirt. I know the
            polyester crinkled fabric stays throughout washing. Again, it's the
            chemical process. Maybe they cant do that on natural fibers.

            On Nov 25, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Alexadbw@... wrote:

            >
            > In a message dated 11/25/2006 12:00:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > sylvia@... writes:
            >
            > I think the reason commercially crinkled rayons stay crinkled
            > throughout washing is the chemical process they use, which we can't
            > duplicate in a costume shop.
            >
            > Actually, you have to re-twist them every time you wash them, and it
            > **does** take a while to dry even in the dryer.
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
            >
            >

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Stickfries@aol.com
            You actually can dye Polyester, but you need fiber specific dye and the poly-developer. ALJO in NYC sells it. I dye poly all the time. ... From:
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 25, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              You actually can dye Polyester, but you need fiber specific dye and the poly-developer. ALJO in NYC sells it. I dye poly all the time.


              -----Original Message-----
              From: sylvia@...
              To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 9:56 AM
              Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Fortuny Pleats question


              Unfortunately you can't both crinkle and dye synthetics. Nylon dyes
              well but doesn't crinkle. Polyester crinkles well but doesn't dye.
              You can crinkle and dye silk, although the pleats won't be permanent.

              Sylrog

              On Nov 23, 2006, at 9:33 AM, mpareja_007 wrote:

              > Hi everyone and Happy Thanks Giving. I am doing the musical A Funny
              > thing happened on the way to the Forum, and I need to crinkle a lot of
              > fabric. I read Tara's page for crinkling fabric, great help, but since
              > I'm doing this musical on a thight budget, I need some suggestions on
              > what silky synthetic fabric crinkles the best and dyes the best. I
              > probably wont find all the colors so I may have to dye it too.
              > Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
              > Thanks
              >
              > Marina
              > Costumer
              > Florida International University
              >
              >
              >

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



              ________________________________________________________________________
              Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Sylvia Rognstad
              I was aware of the disperse dyes for poly, but thought the process sounded so toxic that I never wanted to try it, let alone recommend it. I guess if you have
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 25, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                I was aware of the disperse dyes for poly, but thought the process
                sounded so toxic that I never wanted to try it, let alone recommend it.
                I guess if you have a respirator it is ok. And it wasn't difficult?

                On Nov 25, 2006, at 8:07 AM, rebecca bunny flower wrote:

                > I've had great success dyeing poly bright colors with disperse dyes,
                > but it
                > has do be done in an extremely ventilated area, and I wore a gas
                > mask. (It
                > wasn't easy, but I had a lot of fun doing it, maybe because I am
                > especially
                > weird.)
                >
                > I got mine from here: http://www.prochemical.com/catalog/disperse.htm
                > and
                > instructions are here:
                > http://www.prochemical.com/directions.htm#PROsperse%20Disperse%20Dyes
                > I'd suggest seriously reading the directions to decide if it's
                > something
                > you're willing to attempt.
                >
                > I'd like to reiterate, do not attempt this without ventilation and a
                > mask.
                > Don't do it anywhere near pets or other people who aren't similarly
                > protected. Those are some noxious chemicals. The results were worth
                > the
                > trouble for me (I had to dye some polyester "fredericks of
                > hollywood"-type
                > corsets that were needed that week, and they came out bright and
                > beautiful),
                > but probably wouldn't be worth it to many others.
                >
                > Rebecca
                >
                > On 11/24/06, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I didnt think acetate took dye very well, but it's been awhile
                > since I
                > > tried, so I'm not sure. And the rayon I was thinking of is pretty
                > > soft. A crisper rayon would work but the pleats still will come out
                > > with washing. I think polyester works the best and the pleats stay
                > > in with washing, as I recall, but you can't dye poly more than a
                > pastel
                > > shade.
                > >
                > >
                > > .
                > >
                > >
                > >
                >
                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                >
                >
                >

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Costume Lady
                Marina - check out www.dharmatrading.com they carry dyes for all types of product and are fairly safe to use and they sell all types of fabric (some crinkle)
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 27, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Marina - check out www.dharmatrading.com they carry dyes for all
                  types of product and are fairly safe to use and they sell all types
                  of fabric (some crinkle) at decent prices.

                  Cindy

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mpareja_007"
                  <mpareja_007@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi everyone and Happy Thanks Giving. I am doing the musical A
                  Funny
                  > thing happened on the way to the Forum, and I need to crinkle a
                  lot of
                  > fabric. I read Tara's page for crinkling fabric, great help, but
                  since
                  > I'm doing this musical on a thight budget, I need some suggestions
                  on
                  > what silky synthetic fabric crinkles the best and dyes the best. I
                  > probably wont find all the colors so I may have to dye it too.
                  > Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  >
                  > Marina
                  > Costumer
                  > Florida International University
                  >
                • Michelle Davidson
                  Hello everyone! I need some help to support a debate. I am a faculty member at a midsize university: University of Nevada, Reno. I have an MFA in theatre
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hello everyone! I need some help to support a debate.
                    I am a faculty member at a midsize university:
                    University of Nevada, Reno. I have an MFA in theatre
                    technology with a costume design emphasis. I am the
                    staff designer and costume shop manager for our
                    theatre department. We are in the process of
                    evaluating/redesigning our curriculum. The chair of
                    our department, the lighting faculty member, the
                    scenic faculty member, and the tech director had a
                    meeting to discuss the techical curriculum. I was not
                    invited or informed. When we next met to discuss
                    curriculum, they presented their plan for the tech
                    curriculum. Costumes were not part of it. (Along
                    with running the costume shop, I teach 4 classes
                    yearly.) I immediately asked where costumes were to
                    be represented in the tech curriculum. I was told
                    that they didn't realize/believe/know that costumes
                    were considered tech! I was stunned speechless! I
                    asked them where they thought costumes fit in, as they
                    are not part of the performance aspect of teaching
                    theatre, but along with set, lights, sound, props;
                    costumes are technical support for theatrical
                    productions. Now, I don't want anyone to think there
                    was a shouting match or any nastiness was intended,
                    but my feelings were a bit hurt and I am confused. As
                    with faculty decisions everywhere, discussion is
                    continuing. Please help me support my position that
                    costume design and construction are, in fact, aspects
                    of technical theatre.
                    Thank you!
                    Michelle (in Reno, but from the Dakotas!)

                    In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
                    http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

                    __________________________________________________
                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • nbrookstaylor
                    When I first read the question in the subject line, I had a vesceral reaction that said I am not a technician, I am an artist! . Then I read the rest of the
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      When I first read the question in the subject line, I had a vesceral
                      reaction that said "I am not a technician, I am an artist!". Then I
                      read the rest of the email, and realized you were talking about
                      "performance" versus "technical", and understood your question.

                      I absolutely believe that costumes are part of technical theatre, and
                      where I work, the Production Manager and TD believe this in theory.
                      In practice,however, costumes (and to a lesser extent props) seem to
                      occupy this weird no-man's land. That is, as shop manager, I am
                      pretty independant of the technical director. Costumes appears no
                      where in Technical Theatre or Advanced Technical Theatre,or even the
                      although students who wish to study costumes can take these classes
                      and do their lab hours with me, as there are no costume classes (we
                      only have 2 faculty members, and costumes is not represented).

                      I have a theory, although I try not to think about it because it
                      angers me, that our separation from "technical theatre" into something
                      separate is because costumes are seen as "women's work", and thus
                      unconsciously devalued. I also think that because people where clothes
                      every day, they think doing costumes must be easy. I recently had the
                      opportunity to show the props master how to make a piano cover and she
                      was flabbergasted at the amount of time and effort it took (it was
                      three layers and needed to fit the piano top perfectly). It took
                      about an hour, and part of that was because I was showing her. I
                      pointed out that some of the costumes we made for the most recent
                      show, a wedding dress, for example, took about 17-18 hours total. She
                      was just amazed at how long it took. She said that she was wondering
                      what I was doing that made me so busy!

                      So my 2 cents is that costume people are technicians and artists, but
                      not some wierd third area of theatre production!

                      Nadine

                      Nadine Taylor
                      Costume Shop Manager
                      University of Rochester International Theatre Program

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                      <adastra33@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Hello everyone! I need some help to support a debate.
                      > I am a faculty member at a midsize university:
                      > University of Nevada, Reno. I have an MFA in theatre
                      > technology with a costume design emphasis. I am the
                      > staff designer and costume shop manager for our
                      > theatre department. We are in the process of
                      > evaluating/redesigning our curriculum. The chair of
                      > our department, the lighting faculty member, the
                      > scenic faculty member, and the tech director had a
                      > meeting to discuss the techical curriculum. I was not
                      > invited or informed. When we next met to discuss
                      > curriculum, they presented their plan for the tech
                      > curriculum. Costumes were not part of it. (Along
                      > with running the costume shop, I teach 4 classes
                      > yearly.) I immediately asked where costumes were to
                      > be represented in the tech curriculum. I was told
                      > that they didn't realize/believe/know that costumes
                      > were considered tech! I was stunned speechless! I
                      > asked them where they thought costumes fit in, as they
                      > are not part of the performance aspect of teaching
                      > theatre, but along with set, lights, sound, props;
                      > costumes are technical support for theatrical
                      > productions. Now, I don't want anyone to think there
                      > was a shouting match or any nastiness was intended,
                      > but my feelings were a bit hurt and I am confused. As
                      > with faculty decisions everywhere, discussion is
                      > continuing. Please help me support my position that
                      > costume design and construction are, in fact, aspects
                      > of technical theatre.
                      > Thank you!
                      > Michelle (in Reno, but from the Dakotas!)
                      >
                      > In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast,
                      RAmen.
                      > http://www.venganza.org/index.htm
                      >
                      > __________________________________________________
                      > Do You Yahoo!?
                      > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                      > http://mail.yahoo.com
                      >
                    • marina pareja
                      Hi Michelle, I have the same position as you at Florida International University in Miami and I understand your predicament. You were stunned speechless! And
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Hi Michelle, I have the same position as you at Florida International
                        University in Miami and I understand your predicament. You were stunned
                        speechless! And you should be! I had to read your email many times to make
                        sure that I understood what I was reading. Who are these people? Do they
                        have any knowledge of theatre production? Where do they think costumes come
                        from? the air? As far as I know, in order to make costumes you have to have
                        some kind specialization or knowledge in costume construction, and to me
                        that makes it technical. Also if you look in any theatre production book,
                        reference or academic, you will find that costumes are part of what is
                        considered the production aspect of theater, together with light, sound,
                        scenery, props, make up, etc, no matter how minimal these may be. Also, look
                        at other University�s curriculums and you�ll see that costume design and
                        construction are always under technical production classes. So let me tell
                        you, the problem with these people is that they are misinformed.

                        Good Luck

                        Marina





                        Marina Pareja
                        Costume Shop Manager
                        Werthiem Performing Arts Center
                        Florida International University





                        >From: Michelle Davidson <adastra33@...>
                        >Reply-To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                        >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Are costumers technicians?
                        >Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:17:51 -0800 (PST)
                        >
                        >Hello everyone! I need some help to support a debate.
                        > I am a faculty member at a midsize university:
                        >University of Nevada, Reno. I have an MFA in theatre
                        >technology with a costume design emphasis. I am the
                        >staff designer and costume shop manager for our
                        >theatre department. We are in the process of
                        >evaluating/redesigning our curriculum. The chair of
                        >our department, the lighting faculty member, the
                        >scenic faculty member, and the tech director had a
                        >meeting to discuss the techical curriculum. I was not
                        >invited or informed. When we next met to discuss
                        >curriculum, they presented their plan for the tech
                        >curriculum. Costumes were not part of it. (Along
                        >with running the costume shop, I teach 4 classes
                        >yearly.) I immediately asked where costumes were to
                        >be represented in the tech curriculum. I was told
                        >that they didn't realize/believe/know that costumes
                        >were considered tech! I was stunned speechless! I
                        >asked them where they thought costumes fit in, as they
                        >are not part of the performance aspect of teaching
                        >theatre, but along with set, lights, sound, props;
                        >costumes are technical support for theatrical
                        >productions. Now, I don't want anyone to think there
                        >was a shouting match or any nastiness was intended,
                        >but my feelings were a bit hurt and I am confused. As
                        >with faculty decisions everywhere, discussion is
                        >continuing. Please help me support my position that
                        >costume design and construction are, in fact, aspects
                        >of technical theatre.
                        >Thank you!
                        >Michelle (in Reno, but from the Dakotas!)
                        >
                        >In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
                        >http://www.venganza.org/index.htm
                        >
                        >__________________________________________________
                        >Do You Yahoo!?
                        >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                        >http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • llsturts@greatlakes.net
                        costume DESIGN set DESIGN prop DESIGN lighting DESIGN sound DESIGN What part of the word design don t they understand? That s the only reply needed, IMHO.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          costume DESIGN
                          set DESIGN
                          prop DESIGN
                          lighting DESIGN
                          sound DESIGN

                          What part of the word "design" don't they understand?

                          That's the only reply needed, IMHO.

                          ~lisa.s
                        • David
                          Well of course we are technicians. To believe otherwise is ludicrous. I think the leadership of your tech program needs to be re-examined. We would certainly
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Well of course we are technicians. To believe otherwise is ludicrous.
                            I think the leadership of your tech program needs to be re-examined.
                            We would certainly never put up with this absurd attitude here.

                            David Juby
                            Head of Wardrobe
                            Sheridan College
                          • Curtis
                            ... something ... As someone that has worked pretty much every aspect of technical theater, I take a little exception to your assumption. In my experience,
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                            • 0 Attachment
                              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nbrookstaylor"
                              <nbrookstaylor@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >
                              > I have a theory, although I try not to think about it because it
                              > angers me, that our separation from "technical theatre" into
                              something
                              > separate is because costumes are seen as "women's work", and thus
                              > unconsciously devalued.

                              As someone that has worked pretty much every aspect of technical
                              theater, I take a little exception to your assumption. In my
                              experience, the separation between costumes (and props, sometimes)
                              is due to the fact that technical directors just don't ever study
                              that aspect in any detail. Every location I've ever worked at had
                              competent costumers, the TD didn't need to be consulted for
                              assistance with costume issues--but sets, lighting, sound, those
                              were all domains where the TD was constantly wrangling issues.
                              Because there's a lot of discussion back and forth between those
                              branches, they tend to group together...they also end up having to
                              work in the same space during the process of putting the show
                              together (sound to a much lesser extent, as they come into the
                              process relatively late in most productions), whereas costumes (and
                              props) just kind of magically materialize from nowhere (in their
                              eyes). We do our work in a different location, so we tend to be
                              mentally filed under a different category.

                              If you sit down and talk to them about it, then of course we're part
                              of the technical side of things...but on a day to day basis,
                              costumers and props designers spend so much time working
                              independently that they become operators in their own domain, and
                              it's a very rare TD that really succeeds in keeping them assimilated
                              into the whole category.

                              (Another thing is, so many costumers and props people tend to be
                              designers, in their own right, whereas there are a lot of
                              technicians who simply take what they are given by a designer and
                              make it happen. It's creativity, focused in a different
                              direction...but as we tend to think differently, there becomes a
                              subconscious divide between the two.)
                            • Sherry Ross
                              When running a show why are custome changes left to the final rehearsal. In community theatre we costume designers are always left to the end and rushed for
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                              • 0 Attachment
                                When running a show why are custome changes left to the final rehearsal. In community theatre we costume designers are always left to the end and rushed for changes. I can tell the directors you need more time but until dress rehearsal they refuse to include time for it.
                                Sherry
                                Brampton Music Theatre

                                Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote: --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nbrookstaylor"
                                <nbrookstaylor@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >
                                > I have a theory, although I try not to think about it because it
                                > angers me, that our separation from "technical theatre" into
                                something
                                > separate is because costumes are seen as "women's work", and thus
                                > unconsciously devalued.

                                As someone that has worked pretty much every aspect of technical
                                theater, I take a little exception to your assumption. In my
                                experience, the separation between costumes (and props, sometimes)
                                is due to the fact that technical directors just don't ever study
                                that aspect in any detail. Every location I've ever worked at had
                                competent costumers, the TD didn't need to be consulted for
                                assistance with costume issues--but sets, lighting, sound, those
                                were all domains where the TD was constantly wrangling issues.
                                Because there's a lot of discussion back and forth between those
                                branches, they tend to group together...they also end up having to
                                work in the same space during the process of putting the show
                                together (sound to a much lesser extent, as they come into the
                                process relatively late in most productions), whereas costumes (and
                                props) just kind of magically materialize from nowhere (in their
                                eyes). We do our work in a different location, so we tend to be
                                mentally filed under a different category.

                                If you sit down and talk to them about it, then of course we're part
                                of the technical side of things...but on a day to day basis,
                                costumers and props designers spend so much time working
                                independently that they become operators in their own domain, and
                                it's a very rare TD that really succeeds in keeping them assimilated
                                into the whole category.

                                (Another thing is, so many costumers and props people tend to be
                                designers, in their own right, whereas there are a lot of
                                technicians who simply take what they are given by a designer and
                                make it happen. It's creativity, focused in a different
                                direction...but as we tend to think differently, there becomes a
                                subconscious divide between the two.)






                                Sherry Ross
                                Brampton Music Theatre
                                Youth Troupe Admin
                                Check out the Yahoo group..BMTyouth Troupe_Cinderella
                                www.BMTyouthtroupe_Cinderella.com


                                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              • Joe
                                I run across this attitude all the time. I try to ignore it mostly because with 20 years as a costumer, I can t fight that battle any more. Nothing back stage
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 18, 2006
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  I run across this attitude all the time.
                                  I try to ignore it mostly because with 20 years as a costumer, I can't fight
                                  that battle any more.
                                  Nothing back stage in theater, & film invoke character more than does costume design,
                                  for what is Batman without his utility belt.
                                  And to make that belt you need to able to vacu-form, mold latex, shape foam,
                                  paint, and of course sew.
                                  Infect, all of the skills used in the scene shop, outside of construction with wood, is
                                  used in construction of costumes.
                                  Added to the fact that the piece being constructed must move and be specific to the actor.
                                  I could argue that costume construction is a more challenging discipline.
                                • jeannets
                                  ... This is an interesting discussion. I generally refer to myself as a costume technician. I have been a stitcher, first hand, cutter/draper and shop
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 28, 2006
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <jocig@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > I run across this attitude all the time.
                                    > I try to ignore it mostly because with 20 years as a costumer, I can't fight
                                    > that battle any more.

                                    This is an interesting discussion. I generally refer to myself as a costume technician. I
                                    have been a stitcher, first hand, cutter/draper and shop manager. I think putting it that
                                    way lets people know I am not a designer--something I've never had any interest in doing.
                                    I think the comment about "women's work" is spot on. The other side of theatre
                                    production (more male dominated) definitely has more union representation than
                                    costumers. Why is that?

                                    I was at a seminar given by someone who taught at an arts high school a few years ago.
                                    This person was the tech. director of the theatre program. When I asked him about
                                    costumes, he said it was all rented (!) My oldest daughter is a freshman theatre major at
                                    the arts high school in our city. From what I've seen so far, their production classes don't
                                    focus on costumes either. I gave a talk about costuming to the freshman theatre classes
                                    and even the teacher was amazed that I knew how to make a pattern based on a sketch.

                                    Jeanne
                                    Milwaukee WI
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.