Fairy wings

  • Juliann
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2002
      As far as fabrics go, most of the items I can think of are either not very
      weatherproof (chiffon for instance) or not very windproof (irridescent
      cellophane). We have some wonderful glittery PVC around here, but I don't
      know if you want more translucent look. Hmm, although I seem to recall
      seeing a clear, glitter PVC. It's not cheap (here it's about 12 pounds a
      metre) but it is pretty durable and definitely waterproof. I'd form some
      kind of cut-out pattern in it though, holes that resemble butterfly wing
      "spots" -- to keep the poor dear from becoming a human kite in gusty winds.

      I'll keep thinking though. Having a few crises around the house (main
      sewer line blocked/backed up and inlaws arriving for their first ever visit
      tomorrow morning!) so my brain is not on sewing. But I'll try to ruminate
      a bit :)

      --Juliann
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2010
        I need to make some cheap easy fairy wings for a Titania costume for
        one of the actors in Leading Ladies. Since it is a drag bit and a
        farce, they don't even need to look real or especially well
        constructed. I'm thinking I'll just make them with hat wire or
        something similar, but what's the easiest way to get them to stay on?

        Sylvia Rognstad
        Costume/clothing design & construction
        Alterations & home dec
        http://www.ezzyworld.com

      • Claudia Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18, 2010
          Sylvia,

          Attach some grosgrain ribbon (you can use satin ribbon if you want it to show but it creeps) where the top wings come together and another piece where the lower wings come together.  The top ribbon goes over the shoulders, crosses in front and ties under the wings in back, adjusting the height of the wings.  The lower ribbon goes around the waist and ties either in front or crosses and ties in back, securing the wings from flopping around.

          Claudia