Puzzle pieces and broken mirror

  • Lee Cox
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
      I've been asked to build a horror clown costume in which 1/2 the
      fabric is printed with puzzle pieces and the other has broken mirror
      printed on it. They want something that is durable and machine
      washable like a cotton or polyester.

      I realize that this may be a bit too specific a request, but I would
      like to make them happy and at least try to find it. If anyone has any
      leads I would greatly appreciate it.
    • Curtis
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2006
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Cox"
        <leecoxmagic@...> wrote:

        > I've been asked to build a horror clown costume in which 1/2 the
        > fabric is printed with puzzle pieces and the other has broken mirror
        > printed on it. They want something that is durable and machine
        > washable like a cotton or polyester.

        Well, the first trick is to find whatever image you want to be the
        puzzle. You could do something as simple as zig-zagging down some
        narrow black ribbon to make the seams between puzzle pieces. The
        broken mirror I would do by using a base piece of black material, and
        sewing 'shards' of some kind of mylar-treated material (there's a few
        different options there, most of them are spandex of some sort with
        small mylar squares). It wouldn't actually be reflective, per se, but
        it would create the illusion of a shattered piece of glass. I'd cut
        out the pattern pieces of the costume, then do whatever treatment (the
        puzzle seams or the shards), and then assemble the costume.

        To avoid problems with the material shifting, use Wonder-Under or some
        other kind of fusible webbing...use it on the material you are going
        to make your shards from, then cut them out. Press them onto the
        other material, then zig-zag the edges down so they can't peel loose
        in laundering.

        Just the first approach to the problem that comes to mind. Feel free
        to email if you want to bounce more ideas around. This one sounds
        like a fun project!