Re: Caesar question again

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2006
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

      > A friend, who does Civil War reenacting as an Army nurse, has a great
      > recipe that uses coffee, corn starch and food coloring. It
      coagulates and
      > dries very realistic, even close up.

      I've never used a recipe that actually coagulated well, I'd be very
      interested in that recipe. (I've done some emergency disaster drills
      in the past, something like that would have been a GREAT addition...)

      The formula that I've always used is clear corn syrup, with red food
      coloring and just a little bit of baking cocoa mixed in (the food
      coloring gives you the red, the cocoa darkens it a bit and also gives
      it a more opaque look than just using food coloring), to whatever
      shade and consistency you prefer. I've never had a problem with it
      staining anything, although the fabric assortments upon which I've
      used it are pretty limited. But, with it being based on corn syrup,
      hot water tends to take it out really easily.