Re: Human Ball. Help.

  • Allison
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
      Liz,
      Thanks for the tip. I bought a box of hoop boning, and questioned it
      because in the box it looks like it wouldn't hold the right shape. I
      have yet to try it. If you think it is the best way to go, I will
      continue that route. It was my initial idea.

      :-)
      Allison

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Liz Gerds
      <farthingales_la@...> wrote:

      > How long does the globe need to last? If it's only for one or two
      performances and is treated gently you could probably just use
      foamcore or cardboard.

      > However, if it needs to stand up for a lot of use, you're probably
      better off using hoop steel to stiffen a fabric structure. If the
      globe needs to swallow the person entirely, I'd recommend taking a
      look at those big hat structures that get used for Mardi Gras and the
      like. If you need something that allows the head, arms and legs to
      stick out try looking in Period Costume for Stage and Screen:1800-1909
      by Jean Hunnisett. On page 101 she's got a picture where a hoopsteel
      and tapes structure is shown as the basis for a costume representing a
      wrapped hard candy.

      > Here at Farthingales LA we stock 3 different widths of hoopsteel:
      6mm, 10mm and 14mm, plus connectors for the 10mm & 14mm, and plastic
      ends that can be slipped over the cut ends of 10mm or 11mm steel
      allowing you to sew them in place for partial hoops (like in bustles).

      > If you're interested, check out our online store at
      www.farthingalesla.com. (The store just went up Thursday, so let me
      know if you run into any glitches!)