Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Roman sandles

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      How about brown that brown foam sheets for the
      sandals.

      Cindy

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
        Tandy Leather sometimes has some good deals on large hides.
        I bought a huge black one for $40 once. If you lay them
        right, you can get a lot of soles out of one large hide.
        Jessie

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • lanorte1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          I just recently finished my first costuming project working with leather, and while I found it much easier than I expected, I'd be concerned about using this for do-it-yourself shoe soles. It seems to me that not only would it be very slippery, making it easy for the actors to lose their footing, but an absolutely flat sole without any arch support would be really uncomfortable (or maybe that's just my middle-aged feet talking).

          Just my 2 cents worth.

          Donna

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

            > I just recently finished my first costuming project working with
            leather, and while I found it much easier than I expected, I'd be
            concerned about using this for do-it-yourself shoe soles. It seems to
            me that not only would it be very slippery, making it easy for the
            actors to lose their footing, but an absolutely flat sole without any
            arch support would be really uncomfortable (or maybe that's just my
            middle-aged feet talking).

            The slippery problem can be dealt with, either by gluing rubber or
            some other substance to the bottom or by roughing up the leather
            (there are brushes cobblers use to score the leather soles to make
            glue stick better...be careful if you use one, they are wicked sharp
            and WILL draw blood with ease...) Many stores sell self-adhesive
            rubber grip pads because regular leather soles get slick when wet
            (they also don't wear very well when wet, I've learned that one the
            hard way), or most cobblers will have stick-on half-soles and heel
            covers that would work well. I'd recommend this option, it's a lot
            cheaper to replace an occasional rubber sole cover than to have to
            replace the entire sole.

            If the arch support issue is a serious one (considering the number of
            people who wear cheap flip-flops around today, I don't think a lot of
            actors, especially young ones, would mind), you can also buy orthotic
            insoles with some extra arch support, cut them down to fit, and glue
            black fabric around the edges so they don't attract any attention.

            I haven't seen any in stores in the past few years, but you can
            occasionally find what some of my performers call 'shandals'--sandals
            that actually cover the foot like a shoe. It would be quite easy to
            make an extension that sews on, and would run up the leg from these (I
            want to try it, sometime...I've got a gladiator outfit that is missing
            appropriate footwear...and I've used a similar approach for making
            'period-ish' boots.)
          • bearhedded
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
              I'm guessing if you're using ribbon for the lacings, you aren't
              terribly concerned with longevity.....since it's the end of the
              summer sandal season, I'd keep an eye out for clearance sales
              of flip-flops.

              They're easy to work with, cheap to begin with, already cut out
              (yee-haw!), and will take dye or paint, if your centurions are
              nervous about wearing pastels.