Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Roman sandles

  • Cindy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      How about brown that brown foam sheets for the
      sandals.

      Cindy

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • beverly_bullock
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
        You could get the $4.00 canvas Kung Fu shoes from www.PearlRiver.com
        <http://www.PearlRiver.com> to use as the bases. Good luck! Bev
        Bullock, ShakespeareNYC

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          Tandy Leather sometimes has some good deals on large hides.
          I bought a huge black one for $40 once. If you lay them
          right, you can get a lot of soles out of one large hide.
          Jessie

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • lanorte1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            I just recently finished my first costuming project working with leather, and while I found it much easier than I expected, I'd be concerned about using this for do-it-yourself shoe soles. It seems to me that not only would it be very slippery, making it easy for the actors to lose their footing, but an absolutely flat sole without any arch support would be really uncomfortable (or maybe that's just my middle-aged feet talking).

            Just my 2 cents worth.

            Donna

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

              > I just recently finished my first costuming project working with
              leather, and while I found it much easier than I expected, I'd be
              concerned about using this for do-it-yourself shoe soles. It seems to
              me that not only would it be very slippery, making it easy for the
              actors to lose their footing, but an absolutely flat sole without any
              arch support would be really uncomfortable (or maybe that's just my
              middle-aged feet talking).

              The slippery problem can be dealt with, either by gluing rubber or
              some other substance to the bottom or by roughing up the leather
              (there are brushes cobblers use to score the leather soles to make
              glue stick better...be careful if you use one, they are wicked sharp
              and WILL draw blood with ease...) Many stores sell self-adhesive
              rubber grip pads because regular leather soles get slick when wet
              (they also don't wear very well when wet, I've learned that one the
              hard way), or most cobblers will have stick-on half-soles and heel
              covers that would work well. I'd recommend this option, it's a lot
              cheaper to replace an occasional rubber sole cover than to have to
              replace the entire sole.

              If the arch support issue is a serious one (considering the number of
              people who wear cheap flip-flops around today, I don't think a lot of
              actors, especially young ones, would mind), you can also buy orthotic
              insoles with some extra arch support, cut them down to fit, and glue
              black fabric around the edges so they don't attract any attention.

              I haven't seen any in stores in the past few years, but you can
              occasionally find what some of my performers call 'shandals'--sandals
              that actually cover the foot like a shoe. It would be quite easy to
              make an extension that sews on, and would run up the leg from these (I
              want to try it, sometime...I've got a gladiator outfit that is missing
              appropriate footwear...and I've used a similar approach for making
              'period-ish' boots.)
            • bearhedded
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
                I'm guessing if you're using ribbon for the lacings, you aren't
                terribly concerned with longevity.....since it's the end of the
                summer sandal season, I'd keep an eye out for clearance sales
                of flip-flops.

                They're easy to work with, cheap to begin with, already cut out
                (yee-haw!), and will take dye or paint, if your centurions are
                nervous about wearing pastels.