Re: Good Fake Daggers?

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Brad Gould
      <bradleyvictor@...> wrote:

      > Just a thought but could you use Baz Luhrmann's idea from Romeo and
      Juliet? In the movie they used handguns that wear called "Sword 44"
      instead of Colt 44. It was wonderfully effective for a modern
      adaptation of Shakespeare

      I thought it was a really fun idea...but it wouldn't translate well to
      stage, because you can't do a close-up of the weapon to highlight the
      name. I had the same problem when I did props for I, Pagliaci (sp?) a
      few years back...ended up just using a cheap plastic dagger. From
      close up, it looked pretty cheesy... but from stage distances, it
      actually read really well. Have a little faith in your audience's
      ability to suspend disbelief, especially if you're working in a larger
      venue.

      (However, if you DO happen to find a good source for realistic looking
      daggers like that, please pass it along! I'd love to have that info
      for personal reference at a later date...never know when such things
      will come in handy!)