Boning

  • Anne Redish
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22, 2006
      Of course, Michaela, you're right!!! Cable ties just happen to be
      the BEST, and the cheapest, and the easiest to get, and use, for ME,
      in THIS situation. There are of course better options for different
      or more historically defined needs. And the cable ties seem to work
      best in combination with a 3-layer construction (minimum), 1 being
      stout canvas inside, and an equivalent of coutil on the outside.
      (Sometimes we have used ticking in a pinch for "utility"
      corsets.) Each bone has it's own separately stitched channel. We
      have done fully boned and about 70% boned, nothing less. For a lower
      boning percentage, other materials may work better, or a 4 layer
      construction. Yes, they're sturdy, and not particularly delicate, not
      like what you'd get from a modern lingerie store. They are designed
      for heavy use. They get it, and stand up to it!

      Curtis: Warning: A single cable tie will NOT be very supportive. It
      can twist when alone!. I'd use at least 2 or 3 in tight channels
      together along the laced closure and similarly on the "boots". Of
      course, it still needs the sturdy canvas or other behind it to work
      well. Tell us how it works!

      Anne Redish
      Department of Drama,
      Queen's University,