Costume research

  • beth.shari
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
      Hello,
      I am putting this question out to anyone who might have either an
      answer or a possible resource for a definition of a domino.

      I'm currently researching costumes for the Tennassee Williams
      play, "Camino Real". If anyone is familiar with it, the reference is
      at the beginning of Block Fourteen; ...she(Marguerite)is accompanied
      by a silent young man who wears a domino.

      I have looked up the term in some of my costuming books but have had
      no luck in figuring out what a domino would be as a garment. Some
      other items in the script have been misspelled so it may be the case
      with this as well.

      Sincerely,
      Beth
    • Michelle Davidson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
        Dictionary.com Unabridged

        dom‧i‧no2  [dom-uh-noh]
        –noun, plural -noes, -nos.

        1. a large, hooded cloak with a mask covering the
        eyes, worn at masquerades.
        2. the mask.
        3. a person wearing such dress.

        [Origin: 1710–20; < It: hood and mask costume < ML
        or MF: black hood worn by priests in winter; obscurely
        akin to L dominus lord]

        --- "beth.shari" <beth.shari@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am putting this question out to anyone who might
        > have either an
        > answer or a possible resource for a definition of a
        > domino.
        >
        > I'm currently researching costumes for the Tennassee
        > Williams
        > play, "Camino Real". If anyone is familiar with it,
        > the reference is
        > at the beginning of Block Fourteen;
        > ...she(Marguerite)is accompanied
        > by a silent young man who wears a domino.
        >
        > I have looked up the term in some of my costuming
        > books but have had
        > no luck in figuring out what a domino would be as a
        > garment. Some
        > other items in the script have been misspelled so it
        > may be the case
        > with this as well.

        > Sincerely,
        > Beth

        In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
        http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Spidra Webster
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
          I'd have to know more of the context to be sure, but could it be a
          domino mask? That is a mask that just covers the area around the eyes.
          Something like what Robin of Batman & Robin wears. If there is a ball
          or something of that nature, a domino mask wouldn't be completely out
          of place.

          On Sep 21, 2006, at 7:17 PM, beth.shari wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I am putting this question out to anyone who might have either an
          > answer or a possible resource for a definition of a domino.
          >
          > I'm currently researching costumes for the Tennassee Williams
          > play, "Camino Real". If anyone is familiar with it, the reference is
          > at the beginning of Block Fourteen; ...she(Marguerite)is accompanied
          > by a silent young man who wears a domino.

          Spidra Webster
          http://www.spidra.com
        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
            It comes from Commedia del arte (sp?) or Venetian masquerades, I can't
            remember which. I believe it is the aforesaid mask and a long black
            cloak, with a hood.

            I love that play, btw, and have always wanted to be able to design it
            so I'm envious. Where is it being performed?

            Sylrog

            On Sep 21, 2006, at 8:48 PM, Spidra Webster wrote:

            > I'd have to know more of the context to be sure, but could it be a
            > domino mask? That is a mask that just covers the area around the eyes.
            > Something like what Robin of Batman & Robin wears. If there is a ball
            > or something of that nature, a domino mask wouldn't be completely out
            > of place.
            >
            > On Sep 21, 2006, at 7:17 PM, beth.shari wrote:
            >
            > > Hello,
            > > I am putting this question out to anyone who might have either an
            > > answer or a possible resource for a definition of a domino.
            > >
            > > I'm currently researching costumes for the Tennassee Williams
            > > play, "Camino Real". If anyone is familiar with it, the reference is
            > > at the beginning of Block Fourteen; ...she(Marguerite)is accompanied
            > > by a silent young man who wears a domino.
            >
            > Spidra Webster
            > http://www.spidra.com

          • beth.shari
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
              Thank you for the info. That's exactly what I needed.
              The production will be at the Open Stage Theatre in Pittsburgh. I
              just came on board this week and the opening is on Oct19th!
              Needless to say the more information I have the better at this
              point. I am looking forward to designing it though. Should be fun!

              Thanks Again,
              Beth

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
              <sylvia@...> wrote:

              > It comes from Commedia del arte (sp?) or Venetian masquerades, I
              can't
              > remember which. I believe it is the aforesaid mask and a long
              black
              > cloak, with a hood.
              >
              > I love that play, btw, and have always wanted to be able to design
              it
              > so I'm envious. Where is it being performed?
              >
              > Sylrog
              >

              > On Sep 21, 2006, at 8:48 PM, Spidra Webster wrote:
              >
              > > I'd have to know more of the context to be sure, but could it be
              > > domino mask? That is a mask that just covers the area around
              the eyes.
              > > Something like what Robin of Batman & Robin wears. If there is
              a ball
              > > or something of that nature, a domino mask wouldn't be
              completely out
              > > of place.
              > >
              > > On Sep 21, 2006, at 7:17 PM, beth.shari wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hello,
              > > > I am putting this question out to anyone who might have
              either an
              > > > answer or a possible resource for a definition of a domino.
              > > >
              > > > I'm currently researching costumes for the Tennassee Williams
              > > > play, "Camino Real". If anyone is familiar with it, the
              reference is
              > > > at the beginning of Block Fourteen; ...she(Marguerite)is
              accompanied
              > > > by a silent young man who wears a domino.
              > >
              > > Spidra Webster
              > > http://www.spidra.com

            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
                Too far to go see, I'm afraid, since I'm in Colorado. Hope it turns
                out good!

                On Sep 22, 2006, at 12:56 PM, beth.shari wrote:

                > Thank you for the info. That's exactly what I needed.
                > The production will be at the Open Stage Theatre in Pittsburgh. I
                > just came on board this week and the opening is on Oct19th!
                > Needless to say the more information I have the better at this
                > point. I am looking forward to designing it though. Should be fun!
                >
                > Thanks Again,
                > Beth
                >
                > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
                > <sylvia@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > It comes from Commedia del arte (sp?) or Venetian masquerades, I
                > can't
                > > remember which. I believe it is the aforesaid mask and a long
                > black
                > > cloak, with a hood.
                > >
                > > I love that play, btw, and have always wanted to be able to design
                > it
                > > so I'm envious. Where is it being performed?
                > >
                > > Sylrog
                > >

                > > On Sep 21, 2006, at 8:48 PM, Spidra Webster wrote:
                > >
                > > > I'd have to know more of the context to be sure, but could it be
                > > > domino mask? That is a mask that just covers the area around
                > the eyes.
                > > > Something like what Robin of Batman & Robin wears. If there is
                > a ball
                > > > or something of that nature, a domino mask wouldn't be
                > completely out
                > > > of place.

                > either an

                > reference is
                > accompanied
                > > >
                > > > Spidra Webster
                > > > http://www.spidra.com

              • Sylvia Rognstad
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
                  I just found a link:

                  http://www.umich.edu/~ece/student_projects/masquerade/commonalities.html

                  I had forgotten that we used a tricorn also once when I needed a domino
                  costume, although I don't see any such reference in the link.

                  Sylrog