Re: craft wire

  • three_d_dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2006
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "zedeme1" <jasjasjas46@.
      ..> wrote:

      > I have often used "piano wire" - I'm not sure of its exact
      > composition, but it has great retention and is available in various
      > grades of thickness.

      Traditional piano/music wire is cold drawn carbon steel with the
      strength to resist between 200,000 to 400,000 pounds per square inch
      before beginning to yield. Heating it red-hot will mostly ruin the
      properities. It will rust if wet.

      A 1/16 wire (1.5mm) - smaller than wood a pencil lead, could lift over
      500 pounds.

      Most cutting pliers are not as strong as the wire is and using pliers
      to cut music wire or piano wire will damage them. This is not a
      problem if you don't cut much wire or don't care about the pliers.
      Cutters also tend to leave the broken end of the wire extremely sharp.
      Music wire is also harder than most metal files and will damage files.

      The best tool for cutting music wire or piano wire is a Dremel tool
      ($50-80) with a cut-off wheel. This is available at most any model
      airplane or model train hobby shop. The cut-off wheel not only cuts
      the wire, but also can be used to round the end of the wire. There are
      inexpensive copies ($20-30) of the genuine Dremel tool, valuable if
      you are not intending to do years of cutting.

      If you get such a tool Please get a pair of protective glasses.
      Anything capable of going through music wire can send little pieces
      that can go into eyes as well. This advice goes for pliers as well -
      trimming a small piece can send said piece flying at a high speed in
      an unpredictable direction.

      Dave.