Re: Body Paint

  • kathy_scoggins
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 9:19 AM
      Something I've done!

      Several years ago I did exactly this for a commercial for one of the
      movie channels. I built silver metallic unitards. They were made
      of a nylon lycra from Impala Industries in Los Angeles. I did full
      head hood with invisible zippers (long one up the back of the
      unitard and a short one zipping from the neck up in the hood).
      The "gloves" were cut right on the sleeves and the feet were an
      extention of the legs. Unfortunately, it looked so much like the
      real thing that the legal department pulled the commercial after the
      first showing for fear of trademark infringement from the Oscar
      people. If this is a route you think you might want to try, let me
      know and I'll give you more details.

      Kathy Scoggins
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ashleybellet"
      <ashleybellet@...> wrote:

      > Why do they always call the costumers?
      > I have been asked to prepare four young male and female actors for
      > charity event: they will be dressed as gold or silver statues, and
      > remain posed on pedastals throughout the evening's festivities.
      What
      > is the safest way to go about this? Anyone have suggestions on
      body,
      > clothing, and hair paint? We're going for true metallic. . .
      think
      > Oscar statue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (And,
      as
      > usual, we have less than a month. . . not too much time for prep
      work
      > or shipping. Oh, and I'm in Oklahoma, so if it's something I can
      get
      > my hands on pretty quickly. . .) Thank You!

    • Curtis
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1 9:53 AM
        <ashleybellet@...> wrote:

        > Why do they always call the costumers?

        In a lot of theaters, there aren't makeup people on-hand, so makeup
        falls under the realm of the costumers...(I went the opposite route,
        started out doing makeup and worked into costumes...)

        > I have been asked to prepare four young male and female actors for a
        > charity event: they will be dressed as gold or silver statues, and
        > remain posed on pedastals throughout the evening's festivities. What
        > is the safest way to go about this? Anyone have suggestions on body,
        > clothing, and hair paint? We're going for true metallic. . . think
        > Oscar statue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

        Mehron makeup has two products that could be massively useful to you.
        The first is metallic powders (they have both gold and silver), very
        finely ground. The second is mixing liquid, which would allow you to
        turn the powder into liquid makeup and use it in an airbrush (for most
        efficient application--or you could brush/sponge it on). You could
        even use some LiquiSet (a Ben Nye product) to make it even more
        sweat-resistant...use 25% liquiset and 75% makeup (once you get it
        thinned into liquid).

        Now, granted, if you go THAT route, you are still going to need to do
        some costume pieces (I don't think you want the 'full Greek statue'
        look...) But this will give you a means of coloring anything that you
        aren't covering. I've had very good success with the Mehron products
        (although I've never tried for this particular effect before), as well
        as the Liquiset trick for keeping it from sweating off.

        I used to have a really good source for Mehron makeup, but he decided
        to stop carrying their product line last year...I've got another
        source, but I don't know if they ship stuff long distances. A lot of
        makeup supply houses will have it in stock or can get it for you...but
        if you are going this route, move fast, because Mehron DOES have a
        minimum order and they aren't as prompt as some of the other makeup
        companies in shipping stuff to their outlets (they've got about three
        or four products that are just better than anything similar I've
        found, or else I'd stop worrying about ordering from them. One of
        those products is the metallic powder...)
      • Carolyn
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1 10:18 AM
          Be sure that you test the product on a small area of the body. We had a
          dancer have a severe reaction to the mixing liquid. It took about twenty
          minutes before the reaction began to develop.

          Carolyn

        • Rhonda Kirkpatrick
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1 10:20 AM
            A friend of mine had a similar challenge a few years back, but they were nude and had to be marbled.......try getting an actor not to giggle when you're trying to feather in marble lines............

          • Brad Gould
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1 12:00 PM
              I can only imagine. It reminds me of a show I did years ago. two incidents, one where one of the guys inseam opened in his tights, moments before he was onstage. Me, on my knees, with a needle and thread in this guys crotch, and him standing with one foot on a chair. the other with this girl who could not manage to get her stays on properly and her breasts placed where they needed to be, also with moments to spare...