Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Pattern Paper

  • Carla Pollard
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
      I use the tissue paper that doctors use on their exam tables; comes in a 100-200 yd roll. Available from medical supply sources, or try eBay.
      Carla Pollard
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
        In a message dated 8/7/2006 11:40:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        drkfrau@... writes:

        Is there tissue paper that you can buy on rolls like kraft paper? Or
        something like it that I can use?

        A lot of people use the paper used for examining tables in doctors' offices.
        I suppose if you don't have a medical supply in your area you could order
        online.
        Alexa

      • tobyandkaren
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
          Hello All,
          Southstar Supply has a huge selection of papers for the cutting room. Tissue, kraft paper,
          marker paper, you name it. They also have supplies for sewing machines and anything else
          for a sewing room you could want.

          http://www.southstarsupply.com/newcatalog/search.php?
          PHPSESSID=d213649d7670c179c2d7f9205a0bd0cb&category=28&text=&Search=Go

          I hope this is helpful!
          Karen Norback

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Michele Milunas" <drkfrau@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am learning to copy and make my own patterns. I have been using tissue
          > paper, the kind you wrap gifts in, and like it very much. I recently tried
          > using kraft paper. I did not like using it at all. It's too heavy and I have
          > a hard time pinning it onto my fabric. I can find the tissue paper in sheets
          > about 20"x24", which I use for smaller pieces. But I can't find it any
          > bigger than that.
          >
          > Is there tissue paper that you can buy on rolls like kraft paper? Or
          > something like it that I can use?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Michele

        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2006
            We buy tracing paper used for drafting and architecture at our local
            Dick Blick art store. 36" wide, lots of yards - just not as much as
            the exam table paper. If you need really cheap paper for temporary
            things (like pouncing patterns or even kids' crafts) go to your local
            newspaper. Most of them sell ends of rolls of newsprint for
            something like ten cents a pound. Patterns made out of it won't hold
            up, though - it's high acid, so after a year or less it turns brown
            and brittle.

            HTH,
            Sandy

            At 08:42 AM 8/7/2006, you wrote:

            >Hi,
            >
            >Is there tissue paper that you can buy on rolls like kraft paper? Or
            >something like it that I can use?
            >
            >Thanks,
            >Michele

            "Those Who Fail To Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed.

            Achemdro'hm
            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
            -- C.Y. 4971

            Andromeda
          • Avril Novelich
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
              There is a patterned (grid) craft interfacing...ok hope that made
              sense words not coming to fingers easily this morning or mind for
              that matter...if you want to keep your pattern and use one size for
              instance...this will hold up better than paper...a little more
              expensive but worth it....

              :)

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
              Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

              > We buy tracing paper used for drafting and architecture at our
              local
              > Dick Blick art store. 36" wide, lots of yards - just not as much
              as
              > the exam table paper. If you need really cheap paper for temporary
              > things (like pouncing patterns or even kids' crafts) go to your
              local
              > newspaper. Most of them sell ends of rolls of newsprint for
              > something like ten cents a pound. Patterns made out of it won't
              hold
              > up, though - it's high acid, so after a year or less it turns brown
              > and brittle.
              >
              > HTH,
              > Sandy
              >
              > At 08:42 AM 8/7/2006, you wrote:
              >
              > >Hi,
              > >
              > >Is there tissue paper that you can buy on rolls like kraft paper?
              Or
              > >something like it that I can use?
              > >
              > >Thanks,
              > >Michele
              >
              > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
              > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
              > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
              >
              > Achemdro'hm
              > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              > -- C.Y. 4971
              >
              > Andromeda

            • Curtis
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
                > Pettinger <costumrs@> wrote:
                > >
                > > We buy tracing paper used for drafting and architecture at our
                > local
                > > Dick Blick art store. 36" wide, lots of yards - just not as much
                > as
                > > the exam table paper. If you need really cheap paper for temporary
                > > things (like pouncing patterns or even kids' crafts) go to your
                > local
                > > newspaper.

                We've actually been using butcher paper (roll ends that the park's
                picnics department has left from covering tables for groups)...it's
                lighter-weight and more flexible than craft paper, and holds up pretty
                well to wear and tear. It's a bit heavier than the exam table paper.
              • Christine
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                  I used to use "tracing paper" as bought at the craft supplies chain
                  for many, many years. I re-use my favourite patterns many times and
                  store them in brown paper bags with the picture on the front and any
                  instructions inside and which client I used it for recorded as well.
                  Lately though I discovered a non-woven white tracing material similar
                  to a very lightweight interfacing (brand name Easy Trace in Australia)
                  which can be cut and sewn on the machine or by hand, creases iron out
                  and can even be used for a toile (practice garment) and then cut apart
                  and used as the pattern. Easy to pin through,cheap as chips, long
                  lasting, what more can a girl want? Of course if you need cardboard
                  patterns to trace around like the professionals do, that's a whole
                  different ball game. Hope this info is helpful. Christine.
                • Alexadbw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                    In a message dated 8/9/2006 8:40:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    c_mckenna50@... writes:

                    I discovered a non-woven white tracing material similar
                    to a very lightweight interfacing

                    A similar product can be found in Clotilde's catalog for about$1 a yd/30 in
                    wide.
                    That would be great to save patterns, but I believe the OP said they were
                    just learning to draft their own.

                    I have used banner paper from the office supply store, but can't remember
                    the price.

                    Here is the link to the catalog. ( my favorite BTW)
                    _http://tinyurl.com/fnpzc_ (http://tinyurl.com/fnpzc)

                    Alexa

                  • ~lisa.s
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                      Trace-A-Pattern. You should also be able to find it at any local fabric
                      store. My only problem with it is that it's such a loose weave product,
                      that if you use a marker to do notations on the pattern, if you're not
                      careful the marker bleeds through to the work surface.

                      ~lisa.s

                      ---

                      --
                      * llsturts@...
                    • Jenn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
                        Thanks for everyone's suggestions in this area. There's so much to get
                        together, sometimes. I like Pellon, too, but rarely have it on hand
                        when I have my creative moments.
                        OT: Am currently working on some tatting... practicing after a 3+ yr
                        hiatus. <G> The young dental assistant is about 8 mos along & her
                        "husband" decided he didn't want to be at 2 mos marriage. What a cad.
                        So, I'll be doing a little something for her. Nothing exciting... the
                        baby bonnet that becomes a wedding hanky & an embroidered & tatted bib.

                        --

                        Jennifer Hill
                        Regia Anglorum:

                        Ælfgifu
                        Cynn Readheort

                        Today may be all sunshine, but God is more surely in the Night
                      • Irmgart
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
                          you know, I read that and thought... wow, you really shouldn't tattoo a
                          pregnant woman...until I got to the part about baby bonnet becoming a
                          wedding hanky.

                          *laugh* shows where my mind is :)

                          ~Irmgart

                          On 8/9/06, Jenn <aelfgifu@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for everyone's suggestions in this area. There's so much to get
                          > together, sometimes. I like Pellon, too, but rarely have it on hand
                          > when I have my creative moments.
                          > OT: Am currently working on some tatting... practicing after a 3+ yr
                          > hiatus. <G> The young dental assistant is about 8 mos along & her
                          > "husband" decided he didn't want to be at 2 mos marriage. What a cad.
                          > So, I'll be doing a little something for her. Nothing exciting... the
                          > baby bonnet that becomes a wedding hanky & an embroidered & tatted bib.
                          >
                          > --
                          >
                          > Jennifer Hill
                          > Regia Anglorum:
                          > When the 21st C isn't Enough!
                          >
                          > Ælfgifu
                          > Cynn Readheort
                          >
                          > Today may be all sunshine, but God is more surely in the Night

                        • JFTA
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
                            I use mediecal table paper. You know the stuff that comes in rolls
                            that doctors and nurses roll out over the exam table? You can get it
                            at medical supply places in a few different widths and a roll lasts
                            forever. It's thin enough to see through, but has a coating on one
                            side that gives it extra strength.

                            Juliana
                          • Jenn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 10, 2006
                              Too funny! LOL Jennifer who never thinks of the other tatters!