Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Madrigals, Renaissance costume patterns

  • Kathy Hannon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
      Actually, you're starting this at a good time of the year. All of the Halloween costume patterns are just coming out, you ahould be able to head to any sewing store and pick up some very nice ones, or you could even hit a Rennfaire and see what they have. The ones in the sewing store will be easier to work with especially if you're dealing with students, the Rennfaire ones tend to be more elaborate.

      You could check with any local SCA or Renn types in your area, most of them have Madrigal goups and they'll be more than happy to talk to you about their costumes and music.

      Happy singing!

      zonironi66 <zonironi66@...> wrote:
      Hello,
      I am looking for a few good resources for Madrigal costumes. Our
      school has just started a Madrigal choir, and will be putting on a
      dinner in December. Several of the students want to get their costumes
      made rather than rent, and I am in charge of getting pattern
      numbers/resources to them. The period is early 16th century, during
      the reign of Henry VIII (while he was still married to Katherine). We
      are shooting for the year 1525, to be exact. I need male and female
      costume patterns, for outfits as well as hats, that would be
      appropriate for Lords and Ladies of the court. I also need a good
      jester pattern, a wench, the Lord Chamberlain, beefeaters, pages,
      heralds, musicians, etc. As you can see, this is a huge undertaking.
      I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks in advance.
      Jodi

      =^.^=

      "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
      It would improve the man,
      but it would deteriorate the cat."
      Mark Twain
      Please note that Mark Twain specified
      that the cross would improve the MAN,
      no need to include women in that.
      Women and cats are perfect as is.

    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2006
        Just keep in mind that a lot of the commercial patterns are
        very "costume-y" and need a little help looking authentic.
        Jessica

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kathy Hannon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2006
          That's why I suggested the Rennfaires and SCA folks. They are great at taking commercial patterns and adapting them in all manner of ways.

          And this is a Madrigal group - singers and performers so they wouldn't be wearing "regular clothing" they'd be wearing something a bit more "theatrical"

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2006
            I meant more along the lines that they close with zippers,
            or in the case of a recent simplicity pattern, it has this
            huge ornate bodice with big stand up coller, and such a
            narrow skirt that you'd never get a hoop under there. They
            can be great to start with though, especially if you have
            at least a little historic knowledge to augment them :-)
            Jessica

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2006
              merhaba
              can you speak turkÝsh

              --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > numbers/resources to them. The period is early
              > 16th
              > > century, during
              > > the reign of Henry VIII (while he was still
              > married to
              > > Katherine). We
              > > are shooting for the year 1525, to be exact. I
              > need male
              > > and female
              > > costume patterns, for outfits as well as hats,
              > that would
              > > be
              > > appropriate for Lords and Ladies of the court. I
              > also
              > > need a good
              > > jester pattern, a wench, the Lord Chamberlain,
              > > beefeaters, pages,
              > > heralds, musicians, etc. As you can see, this is a
              > huge
              > > undertaking.
              > > I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks in

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Susan
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2006
                Biraz Turkce konoshuyorum.