pleating question

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2 8:22 PM
      I am currently working on a length of cotton for a Civil War skirt. I'm
      making knife pleats & gathering certain numbers of pleats by needle &
      thread. Is there a clamp that would be useful in holding the pleats
      until one gets to an iron?

      --

      Jennifer Hill
      Regia Anglorum:

      Ælfgifu
      Cynn Readheort

      Today may be all sunshine, but God is more surely in the Night
    • Sally
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2 11:18 PM
        I've used binder clips to hold things until I could nail them down
        one way or the other (in fabric anyway), if that's any help. Those
        black clips that have "ears" you fold back to open them with, in case
        you call them something else - apparently they're also called bulldog
        clips. The little ones are usually enough, but if the material is
        heavy, perhaps medium-sized ones would work.

        --Sally, who uses sticky plastic wrap as template material for
        pouncing, too, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask.

      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 3 4:00 AM
          In a message dated 8/2/2006 10:52:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          aelfgifu@... writes:

          . Is there a clamp that would be useful in holding the pleats
          until one gets to an iron?

          I have to admit, my first thought was a snarky one !LOL. DUH, pins maybe!

          Seriously, though. I have found the black paper clips you can get in the
          office supply department or store very useful, especially with pleats.

          I have also used them along with wooden yard sticks as a sort of clapper to
          set pleats.
          After steam ironing the pleat, use the clamps to hold 2 yardsticks,one on
          either side of the pleat ( the edge of the pleat is centered in the sticks) and
          clip them all together until completely cooled. It is the cooling process,
          that sets the pleat,not the ironing!
          Hope this helps!
          Alexa

        • Alexadbw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3 11:31 AM
            In a message dated 8/3/2006 2:29:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            spb@... writes:

            Sally, who uses sticky plastic wrap as template material for
            pouncing, too, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask.

            Hey, whatever works! Machine embroiders use it to hoop things for
            embroidery.
            Alexa

          • Jenn
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3 3:41 PM
              Alright, Miss Snark. <WEG> I'm treading unseen territory w/ those
              pleats! Maybe jumping up & down would work?
              [TOTALLY tongue in cheek]
              Thanks to both of you ladies who responded with the black clips. I'd
              tho't of them, too. Great minds & all that? Jennifer

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 3 5:08 PM
                In a message dated 8/3/2006 8:04:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                aelfgifu@... writes:

                Alright, Miss Snark. <WEG> I'm treading unseen territory w/ those
                pleats! Maybe jumping up & down would work?
                [TOTALLY tongue in cheek]
                Thanks to both of you ladies who responded with the black clips. I'd
                tho't of them, too. Great minds & all that? Jennifer

                To make amends I'll ask on another sewing list. I didn't have any success
                searching on my own.
                Alexa

              • Alexadbw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 3 6:02 PM
                  aelfgifu@... writes:

                  Maybe jumping up & down would work?

                  A better alternative than saying bad words!! Here is a link to information
                  on pleats. You may have to scroll down the page a bit. It isn't all that
                  helpful, but better that nothing.

                  BTW, some sewing books may have some better detail. Many can be found at
                  fabric stores or book stores. Better still the library may have what you need.

                  _http://vintagesewing.info/1930s/36-hsc/hsc-4.html#pleats_

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 3 8:13 PM
                    Thanks bunches, Alexa. I'd forgotten about these pages. I also have
                    sewing books of different types...
                    I'm a handspinner & weaver & have finally decided that I want to
                    actually wear what I make, BUT, I do not want to look like I just walked
                    out wearing my curtains! I'm barely beginning to learn how to make a
                    sloper & to actually design. It is astounding what I DON'T know! <G>
                    I didn't grow up sewing, failed home-ec... bleck. Took up sewing when
                    I took up the Middle Ages. Now, it is Civil War, but, I really want to
                    learn more about creating a line of clothing which will reflect who I am
                    & will look well on me. Should be an interesting trip. Unfortunately,
                    there isn't a school of fashion design anywhere near.
                    Jennifer

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 3 9:29 PM
                      In a message dated 8/3/2006 11:01:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      aelfgifu@... writes:

                      I'm barely beginning to learn how to make a
                      sloper & to actually design.

                      You are in for a very rewarding but sometimes frustrating experience!!! IGot
                      to see a bit of weaving last week at Dayton's Celtic festival and It is
                      really fascinating. DD is taking a weaving course in college fall semester, so I
                      imagine a loom is in our future. ; - ) . Now for a bigger house for all our
                      projects!

                      Are you drafting completely by hand, or with one of the on-line computerized
                      programs? I've done pants by hand for a client and it is really very easy.
                      I have Wild Ginger's PMB, but haven't used it very much. At the moment I am
                      making a foam dressmaker form for DD who is very hard to fit.....the ones made
                      by making a plaster of paris cast of the body!!

                      Good luck with your dress! Do you ever plan to do cartridge pleats? I have
                      found several tuts on those, but precious few on knife pleats!

                      Alexa

                    • Jenn

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 4 2:56 PM
                          Chuckles. Looms soon take over dining rooms, guest rooms, bedroom
                          closets.......... Then, you get sheep & learn to spin! Oh, & goats!
                          &...... if I take up any more such things, hubby will shoot me! <G>
                          Don't say I didn't warn you. Weaving is entrancing, fascinating,
                          irritating..... FUN.
                          Tell me more about making this dressmaker form! Anything I'm doing is
                          so rudimentary that it hasn't gotten to the point of being on paper, yet.
                          No money for computer drafting software.
                          The pleats are going to become what I want or I'm chucking the fabric!
                          [Only feel like it...] feeling grumpy today, Jennifer

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 6 4:38 PM
                            In a message dated 8/6/2006 6:38:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            aelfgifu@... writes:

                            Looms soon take over dining rooms, guest rooms, bedroom
                            closets.....close Already there with the sewing and
                            embroidery! DH threw me out of the house and I have a studio in an old building in
                            downtown Dayton. DS is an art major and shares the space with me!

                            Then, you get sheep & learn to spin! Hey, I already have a Border Collie
                            (mix) who desperately needs something to herd. All she has now is two cats.

                            if I take up any more such things, hubby will shoot me If I take on any
                            more projects, or animals, ....you know the rest! More the animals than
                            projects.

                            Tell me more about making this dressmaker form . It is basically the same
                            thing as torso/life casting that artists do, but you put it on a stand and
                            use it to drape , or fit garments.Oh, except that you DO wear underwear ( if
                            you usually do that is) so that your garments will fit properly. Here are
                            some links to show you some other methods such as duct tape or paper tape. Most
                            people find getting a good fit the biggest hindrance to sewing.

                            _http://www.leanna.com/DuctTapeDouble/Tales/OtherMethods.htm#Kathy_
                            (http://www.leanna.com/DuctTapeDouble/Tales/OtherMethods.htm#Kathy) No pics but good
                            descriptions of a couple of methods

                            _http://www.mytwindressforms.com/doit.htmThis_
                            (http://www.mytwindressforms.com/doit.htmThis) is the company whose instructions I used.....well...sort
                            of. I always have to make things more complicated than they need to be. I make
                            DD
                            form to combine the torso and the legs into one form. It sort of
                            worked....so far, anyway

                            No money for computer drafting software. Here is another link to a site that
                            does a free computer drafted bodice pattern. You print the sheets and then
                            tape them together. You may not always get a perfect fit the first time,
                            especially if your measurements aren't taken accurately.

                            _http://www.patternmaker.com/index.html_
                            (http://www.patternmaker.com/index.html) (Under Try before you buy)

                            The pleats are going to become what I want or I'm chucking the fabric!
                            Most dressmakers will use a piece of cheap, similar weight fabric to work
                            out kinks before they start on the real stuff. It's called a muslin (or
                            toile,)despite what fabric is used.
                            If you have questions on your costume, I will try to help, or help find
                            something online that will.
                            Alexa

                          • michelenokleby
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 6 9:37 PM
                              Pouncing is the process of marking sewing lines, cutting lines, pleat
                              lines or whatever by tapping the fabric with a "pounce". I have one
                              that is simply a couple layers of hosiery with a handful of cornstarch
                              bound within. If you fold a pattern piece say, along a dart line, and
                              tap the pounce along the line, a lovely temporary line is created that
                              brushes out easily wwhen the project is complete. If you have talc or
                              cornstarch in your cupboard, make a pounce. I promise you'll like
                              using it!
                            • Sally
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 6 10:03 PM
                                Pouncing as in marking an pattern on the fabric you're going to
                                embroider or otherwise decorate. The object I'm pouncing is a cloak
                                made of light wool gabardine in dark green (with a lot of blue) and
                                the design is Celtic knotwork, which I will glue half-inch wide bias
                                tubes (also of mostly light wool gabardine) to, and then sew them
                                down. The tubes are multi-colored - the whole thing is pretty
                                eyeblasting, but I think it's beautiful To pounce, you poke holes in
                                a paper or plastic pattern (usually nowadays with an unthreaded
                                sewing machine), tack it to your fabric, and rub on powder in a
                                contrasting color, remove the plastic and then mark the pattern with
                                something more durable if necessary, and proceed to embroider or
                                decorate. The process itself is medieval at least (there are
                                illuminations showing it being done, though I couldn't cite you one
                                at the moment), may be earlier. Also called pricking (poking the
                                holes) and pouncing (the powder) - it may be called something else in
                                other places, but that's what I learned it as. It turns out the
                                sticky plastic wrap holds quite firmly to the wool, and is flexible
                                enough to not fuss and derange the pattern if the cloak is fairly
                                full and full-length, which this one is.

                                No tigers or lions involved, at least not this round. Not even bears:-)

                                --Sally

                                On Aug 4, 2006, at 5:48 PM, Jenn wrote:

                                > Ok. I'll bite. What are you pouncing on & why....? Images of
                                > lions & tigers & bears, oh, my!
                                >
                                > Jennifer Hill
                                > Regia Anglorum:
                                > When the 21st C isn't Enough!
                                >
                                > Ælfgifu
                                > Cynn Readheort
                                >

                                > Today may be all sunshine, but God is more surely in the Night
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Jenn
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 7 2:19 PM
                                  Alexa said:

                                  >DH threw me out of the house and I have a studio in an old building in
                                  >downtown Dayton. DS is an art major and shares the space with me!

                                  Oh, how lovely! Space! How do you keep mice out of your wool? & other
                                  fabrics... &, heaven forfend, wool moths! Sometimes, I think a fire is
                                  the only thing that works for them. A bit extreme.

                                  > Hey, I already have a Border Collie
                                  >(mix) who desperately needs something to herd. All she has now is two cats.

                                  You could also spin her hair & down. Get hand-held wool combs [i.e.
                                  Viking Combs] to separate the 2 coats. The guard hair is strong & can
                                  be used as guimpe, while the down may be carded & fluffed into knitting
                                  yarns... or tons of uses. Light, fluffy, full of air. Makes one
                                  delightfully warm in that old building you're in!

                                  >http://www.mytwindressforms.com/doit.htm

                                  Hmmm. Will see if our local sewing shop will schedule a video
                                  presentation & workshop. That would be wonderful.
                                  I've done the duct tape double, but don't like it. The foam would have
                                  made a difference, as would a stand. I really like the brown paper tape
                                  double from Threads article. Now, to just find someone to help. My
                                  hubby RUNS the other way. <G>

                                  Now, I just have to be well long enough to DO something!

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 7 10:01 PM
                                    It sounds very useful. Can you make one for embroidery? that is, does
                                    it work when making lines for embroidery... I was thinking of xeroxing a
                                    pattern I liked, putting holes in the paper by running it thru my sewing
                                    machine [don't cringe, I'll put a new needle in before sewing], then can
                                    you pounce thru that sort of thing?
                                    I need a really good book, I can tell. <G> Jennifer

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 10 12:47 AM
                                        > I am currently working on a length of cotton for a Civil War skirt.
                                        I'm
                                        > making knife pleats & gathering certain numbers of pleats by needle
                                        &
                                        > thread. Is there a clamp that would be useful in holding the pleats
                                        > until one gets to an iron?

                                        Quilting pins I have found to be most helpful when making pleats. They
                                        are longer than normal dressmaking pins the ends go in smoothly and
                                        the surface is slightly gritted to hold in place well. These last few
                                        year I have done a *lot* of pleated skirts:

                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/1570.htm
                                        linen: pinned at each end hung to help form pleats then spritzed with
                                        water and pressed.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/phantom/wishing.htm
                                        printed cotton: pinned and pressed and top stitched by machien to hold
                                        pleats until the day I needed to wear it.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/bella.htm
                                        Cotton: pinned pressed and permanently topstitched.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/julia.htm
                                        mystery fibre: pinned and pleated then pressed and topstitched in
                                        place permanently.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/3cleves.htm
                                        wool: pinned in place and sewn into pleats, not pressed.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/annameyer.htm
                                        wool, pinned and pelated, not pressed.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/beham.htm
                                        cotton: pinned, pleated, gathered and sewn. Not pressed into pleats.
                                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleves.htm
                                        cotton velveteen: front smooth back roll pleated by pinning in place
                                        and over handing to bodice edge.

                                        Depending on the pleat is how I will pin. I usually use vertical pins
                                        to mark each fold for each pleat then match them up and use another
                                        vertical pin. Occasionally a horizontal pin will work. When I do put
                                        the pins in I make sure they are the least slippery pins and weave
                                        them through at leat twice to help secure them in place better.

                                        If you are worried about the pin marks showing (say on a silk taffeta)
                                        then just marking the folds and folding each pleat as you go might be
                                        the best way. The holes will be masked by the fold and only the ones
                                        on the leading edge will be seen anyway.

                                        Michaela de Bruce
                                        http://glittersweet.com
                                      • Jenn

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 21 2:40 PM
                                            Ack - sorry - I had unexpected houseguests the week before Pennsic
                                            and then a splendid week of Pennsic, and am just now back. The
                                            plastic wrap is what I trace the pattern on to - it sticks to the
                                            photocopy of the knotwork I made, and I used a white gel pen to trace
                                            it. Hard to see while tracing, but showed up quite nicely on the
                                            dark wool. I stuck the plastic wrap to the cloak, then sewed through
                                            it with the unthreaded sewing machine needle, and pounced it as I
                                            went along. .

                                            Hope this helps, if belatedly.

                                            --Sally

                                            On Aug 8, 2006, at 1:04 AM, Jenn wrote:

                                            > Sally, I'm not getting the role of the plastic wrap. Do you lay it on
                                            > the fabric, then run the unthreaded machine thru it? j
                                            >

                                            > Jennifer Hill
                                            > Regia Anglorum:
                                            > When the 21st C isn't Enough!
                                            >
                                            > Ælfgifu
                                            > Cynn Readheort
                                            >

                                            > Today may be all sunshine, but God is more surely in the Night
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • gsbse1
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 10 4:12 AM
                                              I am working on doing the coat for Joseph and the technicolor dreamcoat and wondered if
                                              anyone has suggestions for how to pleat the sections so when the coat is "opened " by the
                                              brothers it opens wide, not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

                                              In the Donny Osmond production his coat has panels of patterned fabric then in between
                                              has panels of solid colors which don't really show unless the brothers are holding the coat
                                              out or he is twirling.

                                              Any help would be appreciated.
                                              SAM
                                            • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 10 6:00 AM
                                                i use inverted box pleats when i need hidden space in clothing.
                                                most recently i used them for the habits in a production of NUNSENSE
                                                that we just closed, since a habit doesnt really give the space for
                                                high kicks, etc.
                                                i would make the pleats out of a slightly lighter weight fabric, so the
                                                primary fabric should hold in place better untill the "reveal". and
                                                tuck the pleats into seams. even create seams if you can, where seams
                                                wouldnt nesseccarily be.

                                                hope it works out for you.

                                                brightest of blessings,
                                                paula

                                                --- gsbse1 <gsbse1@...> wrote:

                                                > I am working on doing the coat for Joseph and the technicolor
                                                > dreamcoat and wondered if
                                                > anyone has suggestions for how to pleat the sections so when the coat
                                                > is "opened " by the
                                                > brothers it opens wide, not sure I'm explaining myself very well.
                                                >
                                                > In the Donny Osmond production his coat has panels of patterned
                                                > fabric then in between
                                                > has panels of solid colors which don't really show unless the
                                                > brothers are holding the coat
                                                > out or he is twirling.
                                                >
                                                > Any help would be appreciated.
                                                > SAM

                                              • Susan Cassidy
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 10 6:07 AM
                                                  I used Butterick’s cassock pattern 6844 for my base, leaving the seams open
                                                  all around for the colored panels. I did a simple fold in, attaching it to
                                                  each side of the open seam--maybe it’s a box pleat, but since I don’t
                                                  actually know how to pleat, I’m not sure what you’d call it. Anyway, it
                                                  worked! I have a couple of photos in my Snapfish album, and would be happy
                                                  to send you the link if you want to send me your email.

                                                  Susan

                                                  _____

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 10 7:51 AM
                                                    When I made that coat, I did inverted pleats with the pleat being a different color lamé fabric so it was really shiny when twirling. By using inverted pleats I could put how ever many I wanted in and just cut up the front and back into sections. Threads magazine had a step by step article in how to do this.

                                                    Mrs. Kelley Maxfield
                                                    Maranatha Baptist Bible College
                                                    745 W. Main St
                                                    Watertown Wi

                                                    Costume Cottage Supervisor
                                                    Cottage: (920) 261-3891
                                                    Cell: (920) 988-8937

                                                    Cottage location-
                                                    722 Lafayette St
                                                    Watertown Wi

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 10 10:52 AM
                                                      Box pleats is the way to go. When I did Joseph I designed the coat and
                                                      then never had time to make it. We ended up having to rent one, which
                                                      was a real bummer since the coat was the one thing I had really wanted
                                                      to build. I was going to hang the pleated part off front and back
                                                      yokes that came from the shoulders down to almost chest level.

                                                      Sylrog

                                                      On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:12 AM, gsbse1 wrote:

                                                      > I am working on doing the coat for Joseph and the technicolor
                                                      > dreamcoat and wondered if
                                                      > anyone has suggestions for how to pleat the sections so when the coat
                                                      > is "opened " by the
                                                      > brothers it opens wide, not sure I'm explaining myself very well.
                                                      >
                                                      > In the Donny Osmond production his coat has panels of patterned
                                                      > fabric then in between
                                                      > has panels of solid colors which don't really show unless the
                                                      > brothers are holding the coat
                                                      > out or he is twirling.
                                                      >
                                                      > Any help would be appreciated.
                                                      > SAM

                                                    • gsbse1
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 10 12:20 PM
                                                        Just tried a sample from muslin and it's goin gto work great I had thought about that kind
                                                        of pleat but somehow in my head wasn't seeing it right. When I went through my
                                                        references I finally got it.
                                                        Thanks to all for the replies When it's done I'll post a picture.
                                                        SAM

                                                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                                                        > Box pleats is the way to go. When I did Joseph I designed the coat and
                                                        > then never had time to make it. We ended up having to rent one, which
                                                        > was a real bummer since the coat was the one thing I had really wanted
                                                        > to build. I was going to hang the pleated part off front and back
                                                        > yokes that came from the shoulders down to almost chest level.
                                                        >
                                                        > Sylrog
                                                        >
                                                        > On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:12 AM, gsbse1 wrote:
                                                        >
                                                        > > I am working on doing the coat for Joseph and the technicolor
                                                        > > dreamcoat and wondered if
                                                        > > anyone has suggestions for how to pleat the sections so when the coat
                                                        > > is "opened " by the
                                                        > > brothers it opens wide, not sure I'm explaining myself very well.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > In the Donny Osmond production his coat has panels of patterned
                                                        > > fabric then in between
                                                        > > has panels of solid colors which don't really show unless the
                                                        > > brothers are holding the coat
                                                        > > out or he is twirling.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Any help would be appreciated.
                                                        > > SAM

                                                      • metholhill
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 14 5:40 AM
                                                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "gsbse1" <gsbse1@...>
                                                          wrote:

                                                          > Just tried a sample from muslin and it's goin gto work great I had
                                                          thought about that kind
                                                          > of pleat but somehow in my head wasn't seeing it right. When I
                                                          went through my
                                                          > references I finally got it.
                                                          > Thanks to all for the replies When it's done I'll post a picture.
                                                          > SAM
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
                                                          <sylvia@> wrote:

                                                          > > Box pleats is the way to go. When I did Joseph I designed the
                                                          coat and
                                                          > > then never had time to make it. We ended up having to rent one,
                                                          which
                                                          > > was a real bummer since the coat was the one thing I had really
                                                          wanted
                                                          > > to build. I was going to hang the pleated part off front and
                                                          back
                                                          > > yokes that came from the shoulders down to almost chest level.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Sylrog
                                                          > >
                                                          > > On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:12 AM, gsbse1 wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > > I am working on doing the coat for Joseph and the technicolor
                                                          > > > dreamcoat and wondered if
                                                          > > > anyone has suggestions for how to pleat the sections so when
                                                          the coat
                                                          > > > is "opened " by the
                                                          > > > brothers it opens wide, not sure I'm explaining myself very
                                                          well.

                                                          > > > In the Donny Osmond production his coat has panels of
                                                          patterned
                                                          > > > fabric then in between
                                                          > > > has panels of solid colors which don't really show unless the
                                                          > > > brothers are holding the coat
                                                          > > > out or he is twirling.
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                                                          > > > SAM

                                                          Hi, When I did Joseph I did inverted box pleats sewing them from the
                                                          inside and then I attached solid colour lining satin to the
                                                          patterned panels again from the inside. When they opened the coat it
                                                          was a complete circle and looked just like the Donny Osmond coat.
                                                          It worked out really great. I made an empire waist jacket and
                                                          attached the "skirt" to it. Hope this helps. Patricia = Costume
                                                          Lady Creations