Re: Costume History vs Fashion History - do you p...

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2006
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Alexadbw@... wrote:
      > So perhaps, costume could be described as a fashion worn for
      something other
      > than ones daily life. And with the passing of time, when a garment
      goes out
      > of fashion, it becomes costume!

      Depending on the venue, the difference between fashion and costume is
      all a matter of intent. One of the shows that we do each summer at
      the park is called 'Rock U 2 The Top'...it's a music revue of
      whatever's popular on the charts (or our best guess at what will be
      popular, as we have to put the show together several months in advance
      of when it starts performing, and the whole pop music scene can change
      dramatically over the course of a single summer).

      Costuming for it is primarily trying to find some of the latest,
      trendy looks that fit the songs we are performing...our costume
      designer for that show is often more of a stylist and less of a
      designer, by admission of past designers. And there have been a lot
      of times when, while shopping with the designers/producers, I have
      heard the statement, "Yeah, that's a nice cut...but it's just not
      'costumey' enough..."

      People buy these same outfits (or the pieces of them, rather) for more
      common occasions (a lot of what we use in that show is sold in
      boutiques that cater to the 'clubbing crowd'...) For them, these are
      fashion. For us, they are costume. As said before, the line can get
      really blurry.