Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Costume History vs Fashion History - do you p...

  • Alexadbw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21 2:34 PM
      In a message dated 7/21/2006 12:17:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gckidd@... writes:

      But Costume History is
      focused on getting the right look for a period, whereas Fashion
      History is more about the fine details of the construction, materials,
      etc

      (Here are some thoughts and ramblings from an amateur.)

      And to carry on the thought of the above poster, period costuming is
      learning about the fashion of that particular period.
      Fashion has existed since Adam and Eve wore fig leaves. It may not have been
      recognized as such until much later, but it existed just the same. At first,
      fashion was determined by what was needed and materials available. As those
      two factors changed, so did Fashion.
      I studied the history of fashion and the history of furniture. Each
      influenced the other, and both were influenced by politics .Fashion history would
      be how different factors such as industry, war, travel, science,
      communication, the economy,etc., influenced what was worn by those who are considered the
      trend setters of the day.

      So perhaps, costume could be described as a fashion worn for something other
      than ones daily life. And with the passing of time, when a garment goes out
      of fashion, it becomes costume!

      Does this mean, then that costume is the result of and/or a caricature,
      fashion? We are told that the way we dress expresses or communicates who we are
      or how we feel, and a costume designer will, choose colors & styles to
      express something about a character that cannot be verbalized. Maybe they are not
      so different after all.Even Costumes for Mardi Gras, Circus, Even Halloween
      change and are influenced by society, new technology and what is socially
      acceptable.

    • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21 5:41 PM
        In my own head, I tend to think of Costume as *defined* by the period, where as Fashion rather does the *defining*. The study of Costume is a set solid thing, like looking at snap-shots. In the case of Fashion your studying the flow, more like looking at a time-line.

        In the case of the history of either, I'd expect a book on Costume History to perhaps be more about "here is how the clothing was during such and such a time and place".

        One the other hand, a book on Fashion History would I think be more about why the clothing was the way it was, and what it says about the attitudes of the people wearing it and reacting to it.

        But that's just me ; )
        Renee

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22 11:14 PM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Alexadbw@... wrote:
          > So perhaps, costume could be described as a fashion worn for
          something other
          > than ones daily life. And with the passing of time, when a garment
          goes out
          > of fashion, it becomes costume!

          Depending on the venue, the difference between fashion and costume is
          all a matter of intent. One of the shows that we do each summer at
          the park is called 'Rock U 2 The Top'...it's a music revue of
          whatever's popular on the charts (or our best guess at what will be
          popular, as we have to put the show together several months in advance
          of when it starts performing, and the whole pop music scene can change
          dramatically over the course of a single summer).

          Costuming for it is primarily trying to find some of the latest,
          trendy looks that fit the songs we are performing...our costume
          designer for that show is often more of a stylist and less of a
          designer, by admission of past designers. And there have been a lot
          of times when, while shopping with the designers/producers, I have
          heard the statement, "Yeah, that's a nice cut...but it's just not
          'costumey' enough..."

          People buy these same outfits (or the pieces of them, rather) for more
          common occasions (a lot of what we use in that show is sold in
          boutiques that cater to the 'clubbing crowd'...) For them, these are
          fashion. For us, they are costume. As said before, the line can get
          really blurry.