Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Costume History vs Fashion History - do you perceive a difference?

  • Kathy Hannon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21, 2006
      I always perceived Fashion History as a study of what people wore on an every day basis, regardless of their class. What they wore when they worked, or when they got dressed up, or when they were jusy hanging out relaxing. The fabrics and dyes of that particular period, the way something was put together.

      Costume History to me is more of a study of specific types of clothing for specific occasions. What people wear when they get married, or what they wear on festival days, coronations, religious rituals - things like that. Girl Scout outfits through the years, Military and sport uniforms, Mummers - more event specific I guess. And why they chose whatever it is that they wear. The candles for St Lucia, The different color vestments for different holy days.

      Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

      Kathy

      Kimberly Stockton <syrilla27@...> wrote:
      My two cents are rubbing together.

      Although I use costume and fashion interchangeably; As a costume designer I see Costume History as the study of what people wore for specific time and character ideals. Fashion History is the study of what people wore, when, why, and how it came to that through the changes of life.

      Please post your findings. I am interrested in what the outcome will be also.

      Kimberly

      =^.^=

      "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
      It would improve the man,
      but it would deteriorate the cat."
      Mark Twain
      Please note that Mark Twain specified
      that the cross would improve the MAN,
      no need to include women in that.
      Women and cats are perfect as is.

    • Aurora Celeste
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 21, 2006
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "laurie-taylor"
        > <laurie-taylor@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I'm going to be asking, of my Fashion History students, what is the
        > > difference between the two terms, Fashion History, and Costume
        > History. The
        > > question arose out of my own perception of which would be more
        > correct based
        > > upon my educational experience. Am I right? Darned if I know.
        > That's why
        > > I"ve come to you!
        >
        > I'd actually say the difference between the two is in the
        > focus...there's a lot of overlap, granted. But Costume History is
        > focused on getting the right look for a period, whereas Fashion
        > History is more about the fine details of the construction, materials,
        > etc. Granted, in some cases, to get the right look, you need to build
        > some items the same way (for instance, you can't get a good line on an
        > Elizabethan gown without the right kind of corset)...but I know a lot
        > of costumers freely utilize what would have been exotic (or
        > non-existant) materials for period costumes.

        Also, I think that studying what materials were used with a costume, where
        the materials came from, how they were transported, and how much they cost
        are all a part of fashion history. Costume history is more concerned with
        what and how, not the larger picture.

        Aurora