Re: Bustle gown

  • serenpoly
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
      Truly Victorian has everything you need to make such an outfit
      (probably too much choice, even), including underpinnings, bodices,
      skirts, overskirts, lots of pictures, and help if you need it:

      www.trulyvictorian.netfirms.com

      We've used their patterns many times, and found them amazingly easy to
      work with. Do use the fitting instructions; they're different than
      you're used to, but they WORK. For theatrical work (not living
      history) I've boned the bodices heavily and foregone corsetry
      underneath, but the wired bustle petticoat is essential.

      HTH.

      -- Emc^2

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly"

    • kittykatx@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
        My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:

        http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html

        They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I use there patterns all the time for clients.

        Hope this is helpful-
        xochitl

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
          Thank you for the Suggestion. I will look into their patterns.
          There are so many out there, and I am not very familar with the
          constuction of these periods. So I am happy to hear from those that
          have used are comfortable with the eras.

          The link is to a bodice and drape that I like. Would removing the
          sleeve and neck filling allow this style to be used in a ball room?
          Or is there a better style?

          http://images.google.com/imgres?
          imgurl=http://www.antiquedress.com/images/1767/embroidergowneiltrain.
          jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.antiquedress.com/item1767.htm&h=289&w=370&sz
          =24&hl=en&start=166&tbnid=hBqtLs8iVqmzvM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=118&prev=/imag
          es%3Fq%3DBustle%2Bdress%26start%3D160%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%
          3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

          Thank you again.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, kittykatx@... wrote:

          > My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:
          >

          > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html
          >
          > They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I
          use there patterns all the time for clients.

          > Hope this is helpful-
          > xochitl

          > From: "Kimberly" <syrilla27@...>
          >
          > I am looking for a very elaborate period ball gown pattern from
          either
          > bustle period. Bodice, skirts, drape, and the needed support. It
          > needs to be something that is flattering to a tall, slender woman.
          > Something a princess could wear, with puffs, drapes, and anything
          else
          > that could be added. Can anyone recommend a good company or a even
          > patterns that could be used?
          >
          > Thank you

        • Kimberly
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
            Has anyone used these "patterns"? I like the back of the lady sitting
            down. Hum...

            http://cgi.ebay.com/MODE-ILLUSTREE-PATTERN-Dec-26-1886-FAYE-BALL-
            GOWN_W0QQitemZ180004031522QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4161QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewIt
            em
          • CF Prez
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2006
              if anyone in the Sea/Tac area could help me I would very much appreciate it
              !!!

              I'm doing to dye a wool robe, and was wondering if anyone in my area could
              suggest somewhere to do it??

              I was thinking about using an acid dye... something along the lines of this:

              http://www.aljodye.com/main.html

              or something off of the Dharma trading webpage, but i've never done this
              before, and I don't want to mess up the color... (dark brown)

              if anyone local can help please email me offlist... thanks !!!!!

              dave
            • Clay
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2006
                My secret weapon for dying issues is Weaving Works in the U District. They
                have every kind of dye imaginable for any kind of fiber, and better yet -
                there are expert dyers on their staff. Give them a call and go in for a
                chat. They've never disappointed me!

                Clay

              • bearhedded
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2006
                  > dave

                  You can get the Dharma dyes at the U. Bookstore, all of the art
                  supply stores, and MOST of the fabric stores in town. You might
                  want to do a practice swatch on a yard of plain wool, to get the
                  feel of it, first.

                • Sith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2006
                    How would you rate their patterns - easy to use? Difficult to use?

                    On a scale of 1-10 what do you rate their projects in in terms of
                    difficulty? (skill) 1 being easy 10 being really hard.

                    Just curious. I love their stuff but I've never tried it.

                    Kristen

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, kittykatx@... wrote:

                    > My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:
                    >

                    > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html
                    >
                    > They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I
                    use there patterns all the time for clients.

                    > Hope this is helpful-
                    > xochitl

                  • serenpoly
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 28, 2006
                      Fiddly but easy. Everything I've ever done from Truly Victorian has
                      gone together directly and simply, which is to say that their pattern
                      drafting and grading is first-class. But (of course) if you're doing
                      Victorian, it's elaborate and different than today's cut. I'd rate
                      their patterns at about a 3 to 4, certainly no more _difficult_ than
                      a commercial pattern from the fabric store.

                      They have a period fitting protocol, which works beautifully - use
                      it! And remember that it'll feel somewhat different when finished
                      than you're used to since the cut is different than you're used to,
                      regardless of the different under- and shape-wear (ie, corsetry and
                      bustle) which are essential to the look.

                      -- Emc^2

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sith" <Sithvixen@...>