Re: Bustle gown

  • serenpoly
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
      Truly Victorian has everything you need to make such an outfit
      (probably too much choice, even), including underpinnings, bodices,
      skirts, overskirts, lots of pictures, and help if you need it:

      www.trulyvictorian.netfirms.com

      We've used their patterns many times, and found them amazingly easy to
      work with. Do use the fitting instructions; they're different than
      you're used to, but they WORK. For theatrical work (not living
      history) I've boned the bodices heavily and foregone corsetry
      underneath, but the wired bustle petticoat is essential.

      HTH.

      -- Emc^2

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly"

    • kittykatx@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
        My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:

        http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html

        They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I use there patterns all the time for clients.

        Hope this is helpful-
        xochitl

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
          <syrilla27@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for a very elaborate period ball gown pattern from
          either
          > bustle period.

          Check out Truly Victorian patterns at www.trulyvictorian.com. I've
          used several of the patterns, and most recently the 1860's ballgown
          bodice. They have a unique way of fitting patterns derived from an
          authentic 19th century method. Works wonderfully, just follow the
          directions. They also have all kinds of skirts, overskirts and
          underskirts. The pattern packages come with a nice sheet of trimming
          suggestions. The website has lots of pictures of gowns made from their
          patterns.

          Roz
        • Kimberly
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
            Thank you for the Suggestion. I will look into their patterns.
            There are so many out there, and I am not very familar with the
            constuction of these periods. So I am happy to hear from those that
            have used are comfortable with the eras.

            The link is to a bodice and drape that I like. Would removing the
            sleeve and neck filling allow this style to be used in a ball room?
            Or is there a better style?

            http://images.google.com/imgres?
            imgurl=http://www.antiquedress.com/images/1767/embroidergowneiltrain.
            jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.antiquedress.com/item1767.htm&h=289&w=370&sz
            =24&hl=en&start=166&tbnid=hBqtLs8iVqmzvM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=118&prev=/imag
            es%3Fq%3DBustle%2Bdress%26start%3D160%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%
            3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

            Thank you again.

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, kittykatx@... wrote:

            > My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:
            >

            > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html
            >
            > They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I
            use there patterns all the time for clients.

            > Hope this is helpful-
            > xochitl

            > From: "Kimberly" <syrilla27@...>
            >
            > I am looking for a very elaborate period ball gown pattern from
            either
            > bustle period. Bodice, skirts, drape, and the needed support. It
            > needs to be something that is flattering to a tall, slender woman.
            > Something a princess could wear, with puffs, drapes, and anything
            else
            > that could be added. Can anyone recommend a good company or a even
            > patterns that could be used?
            >
            > Thank you

          • Kimberly
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
              Has anyone used these "patterns"? I like the back of the lady sitting
              down. Hum...

              http://cgi.ebay.com/MODE-ILLUSTREE-PATTERN-Dec-26-1886-FAYE-BALL-
              GOWN_W0QQitemZ180004031522QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4161QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewIt
              em
            • CF Prez
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2006
                if anyone in the Sea/Tac area could help me I would very much appreciate it
                !!!

                I'm doing to dye a wool robe, and was wondering if anyone in my area could
                suggest somewhere to do it??

                I was thinking about using an acid dye... something along the lines of this:

                http://www.aljodye.com/main.html

                or something off of the Dharma trading webpage, but i've never done this
                before, and I don't want to mess up the color... (dark brown)

                if anyone local can help please email me offlist... thanks !!!!!

                dave
              • Clay
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2006
                  My secret weapon for dying issues is Weaving Works in the U District. They
                  have every kind of dye imaginable for any kind of fiber, and better yet -
                  there are expert dyers on their staff. Give them a call and go in for a
                  chat. They've never disappointed me!

                  Clay

                • bearhedded
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 10, 2006
                    > dave

                    You can get the Dharma dyes at the U. Bookstore, all of the art
                    supply stores, and MOST of the fabric stores in town. You might
                    want to do a practice swatch on a yard of plain wool, to get the
                    feel of it, first.

                  • Sith
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2006
                      How would you rate their patterns - easy to use? Difficult to use?

                      On a scale of 1-10 what do you rate their projects in in terms of
                      difficulty? (skill) 1 being easy 10 being really hard.

                      Just curious. I love their stuff but I've never tried it.

                      Kristen

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, kittykatx@... wrote:

                      > My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:
                      >

                      > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html
                      >
                      > They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I
                      use there patterns all the time for clients.

                      > Hope this is helpful-
                      > xochitl

                    • serenpoly
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 28, 2006
                        Fiddly but easy. Everything I've ever done from Truly Victorian has
                        gone together directly and simply, which is to say that their pattern
                        drafting and grading is first-class. But (of course) if you're doing
                        Victorian, it's elaborate and different than today's cut. I'd rate
                        their patterns at about a 3 to 4, certainly no more _difficult_ than
                        a commercial pattern from the fabric store.

                        They have a period fitting protocol, which works beautifully - use
                        it! And remember that it'll feel somewhat different when finished
                        than you're used to since the cut is different than you're used to,
                        regardless of the different under- and shape-wear (ie, corsetry and
                        bustle) which are essential to the look.

                        -- Emc^2

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sith" <Sithvixen@...>