Bustle gown

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
      I am looking for a very elaborate period ball gown pattern from either
      bustle period. Bodice, skirts, drape, and the needed support. It
      needs to be something that is flattering to a tall, slender woman.
      Something a princess could wear, with puffs, drapes, and anything else
      that could be added. Can anyone recommend a good company or a even
      patterns that could be used?

      Thank you
    • serenpoly
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
        Truly Victorian has everything you need to make such an outfit
        (probably too much choice, even), including underpinnings, bodices,
        skirts, overskirts, lots of pictures, and help if you need it:

        www.trulyvictorian.netfirms.com

        We've used their patterns many times, and found them amazingly easy to
        work with. Do use the fitting instructions; they're different than
        you're used to, but they WORK. For theatrical work (not living
        history) I've boned the bodices heavily and foregone corsetry
        underneath, but the wired bustle petticoat is essential.

        HTH.

        -- Emc^2

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly"

      • kittykatx@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
          My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:

          http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html

          They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I use there patterns all the time for clients.

          Hope this is helpful-
          xochitl

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
            <syrilla27@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for a very elaborate period ball gown pattern from
            either
            > bustle period.

            Check out Truly Victorian patterns at www.trulyvictorian.com. I've
            used several of the patterns, and most recently the 1860's ballgown
            bodice. They have a unique way of fitting patterns derived from an
            authentic 19th century method. Works wonderfully, just follow the
            directions. They also have all kinds of skirts, overskirts and
            underskirts. The pattern packages come with a nice sheet of trimming
            suggestions. The website has lots of pictures of gowns made from their
            patterns.

            Roz
          • Kimberly
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
              Thank you for the Suggestion. I will look into their patterns.
              There are so many out there, and I am not very familar with the
              constuction of these periods. So I am happy to hear from those that
              have used are comfortable with the eras.

              The link is to a bodice and drape that I like. Would removing the
              sleeve and neck filling allow this style to be used in a ball room?
              Or is there a better style?

              http://images.google.com/imgres?
              imgurl=http://www.antiquedress.com/images/1767/embroidergowneiltrain.
              jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.antiquedress.com/item1767.htm&h=289&w=370&sz
              =24&hl=en&start=166&tbnid=hBqtLs8iVqmzvM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=118&prev=/imag
              es%3Fq%3DBustle%2Bdress%26start%3D160%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%
              3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

              Thank you again.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, kittykatx@... wrote:

              > My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:
              >

              > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html
              >
              > They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I
              use there patterns all the time for clients.

              > Hope this is helpful-
              > xochitl

              > From: "Kimberly" <syrilla27@...>
              >
              > I am looking for a very elaborate period ball gown pattern from
              either
              > bustle period. Bodice, skirts, drape, and the needed support. It
              > needs to be something that is flattering to a tall, slender woman.
              > Something a princess could wear, with puffs, drapes, and anything
              else
              > that could be added. Can anyone recommend a good company or a even
              > patterns that could be used?
              >
              > Thank you

            • Kimberly
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
                Has anyone used these "patterns"? I like the back of the lady sitting
                down. Hum...

                http://cgi.ebay.com/MODE-ILLUSTREE-PATTERN-Dec-26-1886-FAYE-BALL-
                GOWN_W0QQitemZ180004031522QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4161QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewIt
                em
              • CF Prez
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2006
                  if anyone in the Sea/Tac area could help me I would very much appreciate it
                  !!!

                  I'm doing to dye a wool robe, and was wondering if anyone in my area could
                  suggest somewhere to do it??

                  I was thinking about using an acid dye... something along the lines of this:

                  http://www.aljodye.com/main.html

                  or something off of the Dharma trading webpage, but i've never done this
                  before, and I don't want to mess up the color... (dark brown)

                  if anyone local can help please email me offlist... thanks !!!!!

                  dave
                • Clay
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2006
                    My secret weapon for dying issues is Weaving Works in the U District. They
                    have every kind of dye imaginable for any kind of fiber, and better yet -
                    there are expert dyers on their staff. Give them a call and go in for a
                    chat. They've never disappointed me!

                    Clay

                  • bearhedded
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 10, 2006
                      > dave

                      You can get the Dharma dyes at the U. Bookstore, all of the art
                      supply stores, and MOST of the fabric stores in town. You might
                      want to do a practice swatch on a yard of plain wool, to get the
                      feel of it, first.

                    • Sith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 27, 2006
                        How would you rate their patterns - easy to use? Difficult to use?

                        On a scale of 1-10 what do you rate their projects in in terms of
                        difficulty? (skill) 1 being easy 10 being really hard.

                        Just curious. I love their stuff but I've never tried it.

                        Kristen

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, kittykatx@... wrote:

                        > My faviote company for victorian gowns is TRUELY VICTORIAN:
                        >

                        > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog1.html
                        >
                        > They also sell patterns for the bustles and wire for them also.I
                        use there patterns all the time for clients.

                        > Hope this is helpful-
                        > xochitl

                      • serenpoly
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 28, 2006
                          Fiddly but easy. Everything I've ever done from Truly Victorian has
                          gone together directly and simply, which is to say that their pattern
                          drafting and grading is first-class. But (of course) if you're doing
                          Victorian, it's elaborate and different than today's cut. I'd rate
                          their patterns at about a 3 to 4, certainly no more _difficult_ than
                          a commercial pattern from the fabric store.

                          They have a period fitting protocol, which works beautifully - use
                          it! And remember that it'll feel somewhat different when finished
                          than you're used to since the cut is different than you're used to,
                          regardless of the different under- and shape-wear (ie, corsetry and
                          bustle) which are essential to the look.

                          -- Emc^2

                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sith" <Sithvixen@...>