Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Leg Brace for Urinetown

  • elizabeth lillie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
      Jess - my group is doing Urinetown in the fall and we are looking for the same info! Any help, anwhere, from anyone?

      Thanks!

      Jess <jessica@...> wrote:
      Anyone have ideas for constructing the leg brace for Little Becky Two Shoes in Urinetown?
      Thanks!

      Requirements -
      - easily removable (and put back on again) on stage
      - "vintage" look
      - actress must still be able to dance fairly comfortably.

      I'm thinking lower leg only, and around the shoe, somehow, so it's really more
      "ankle" than
      whole leg...

      But I am otherwise at a loss.

      Help!

      Thanks!

    • nbrookstaylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
        I don't really have any concrete ideas, but I might suggest wandering
        around a sporting goods store and seeing what they might have in terms
        of shin guards, etc, that you might be able fix up? Or perhaps a
        medical supply store? I have had good luck with sporting goods for all
        sorts of weird uses.

        I don't know if you have good images, but this e-bay auction has some
        great pictures

        http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Vintage-LEG-BRACES-with-Attached-Shoes-Brace_W0QQitemZ102251214389QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4067QQcmdZViewItem

        I do have to add that, in googling images of leg braces to try and get
        an idea, I discovered pages about leg brace fetishes. This happens to
        me too often when researching costumes-- say when trying to find
        pictures of nurses uniforms...

        Good Luck to you

        Nadine Brooks Taylor
        Costume Shop Manager
        University of Rochester International Theatre Program

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth lillie
        <divasma@...> wrote:

        > Jess - my group is doing Urinetown in the fall and we are looking
        for the same info! Any help, anwhere, from anyone?

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Jess <jessica@...> wrote:
        > Anyone have ideas for constructing the leg brace for
        Little Becky Two Shoes in Urinetown?
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Requirements -
        > - easily removable (and put back on again) on stage
        > - "vintage" look
        > - actress must still be able to dance fairly comfortably.
        >
        > I'm thinking lower leg only, and around the shoe, somehow, so it's
        really more
        > "ankle" than
        > whole leg...
        >
        > But I am otherwise at a loss.
        >
        > Help!
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Cam Mills
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
          The medical supply store will be a good bet go to a
          local one near you they always have something that or
          you could make a mock up set if the image is what your
          loking for it should be relatively easy to do a mock
          up version that will be easy in and out.

          Cam

          I am using a set of braces for a pair of stilts so
          should work out well

          http://mail.yahoo.com