Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] I know this has been asked and answered........

  • Carla Pollard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
      Industrial strength Velcro.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "montereydesigner" <rhonda@...>
      To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:01 PM
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] I know this has been asked and
      answered........

      > We're doing Fiddler and the issue of bottle dancer hats is making our
      > life difficult......we have bought the traditional Jewish hat used by
      > many professional companies and the dancers just can't balance the
      > bottle. We think they need more rehearsal, but the choreographer and
      > director are looking for a quick costume fix. We tried adding magnets
      > to the bottles and the hats, but it hasn't helped.
      > I'm looking for the experience of others to help us solve the problem,
      > or confirm that they just need to work more. These are very talented
      > high school kids in an intensive arts program.
      > Help............and thanks..............R
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Kathy Hannon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
        We used heavy duty industrial velcro and that worked just fine. The regular stuff you get at the fabric stores really isn't strong enough.

        montereydesigner <rhonda@...> wrote:
        We're doing Fiddler and the issue of bottle dancer hats is making our
        life difficult......we have bought the traditional Jewish hat used by
        many professional companies and the dancers just can't balance the
        bottle. We think they need more rehearsal, but the choreographer and
        director are looking for a quick costume fix. We tried adding magnets
        to the bottles and the hats, but it hasn't helped.
        I'm looking for the experience of others to help us solve the problem,
        or confirm that they just need to work more. These are very talented
        high school kids in an intensive arts program.
        Help............and thanks..............R

        =^.^=

        "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
        It would improve the man,
        but it would deteriorate the cat."
        Mark Twain
        Please note that Mark Twain specified
        that the cross would improve the MAN,
        no need to include women in that.
        Women and cats are perfect as is.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          I talked to a friend who performed in Fiddler in the bottle dance, and he said they wore the traditional hats, but had a beanbag on their head, under the hat. The hats were felt, so the bottle could settle slightly into the beanbag. The beanbag was filled with birdseed and about the size of an adult hand (fingers included), so it pretty much covered the top of the dancer's head. The dancers still had to be careful, but this gave a little extra stability.

          I'm with you - they should put in more rehearsal time, rather than looking for a way to cheat. But then again, I don't believe in using body mics, either. ;-)

          Donna

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
            I just did Fiddler last fall with community theater, high school age
            bottle dancers. See pix on www.the-green-room.org. After some
            practice, the soft felt hats and using the large size (20 oz.?)glass
            Hires root beer bottles was a treat to watch. Of course they dropped
            some during the run of the show and rehearsals, but one kid never
            dropped his during any of the perfomances! The whole cast, crew, and
            audience cheered them on!BAL!