Re: Costume History Textbook

  • patrickhbporter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ambellet" <abellet@...> wrote:

      > Hey~ I've posted this question to a few groups: I'm a new costume
      > professor at the university of tulsa, and I'm reworking the costume
      > history class this fall. any favorite textbooks that work especially
      > well in the classroom? If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear
      > them! thanks so much!

      I'm going to make an impractical suggestion; the biggest and most remarkable costume history book I've ever seen is 'the Book of Costume' by Millia Davenport---I doubt its still in print. Its enormous with hundreds of illustrations from actual sources, and she includes astonishing bits of history, art history and social history along with all of the details of the clothing. This is a book that students will keep with them the rest of their careers.

      phbp