Leg Brace for Urinetown

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
      Anyone have ideas for constructing the leg brace for Little Becky Two Shoes in Urinetown?
      Thanks!

      Requirements -
      - easily removable (and put back on again) on stage
      - "vintage" look
      - actress must still be able to dance fairly comfortably.

      I'm thinking lower leg only, and around the shoe, somehow, so it's really more
      "ankle" than
      whole leg...

      But I am otherwise at a loss.

      Help!

      Thanks!
    • elizabeth lillie

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
          I don't really have any concrete ideas, but I might suggest wandering
          around a sporting goods store and seeing what they might have in terms
          of shin guards, etc, that you might be able fix up? Or perhaps a
          medical supply store? I have had good luck with sporting goods for all
          sorts of weird uses.

          I don't know if you have good images, but this e-bay auction has some
          great pictures

          http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Vintage-LEG-BRACES-with-Attached-Shoes-Brace_W0QQitemZ102251214389QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4067QQcmdZViewItem

          I do have to add that, in googling images of leg braces to try and get
          an idea, I discovered pages about leg brace fetishes. This happens to
          me too often when researching costumes-- say when trying to find
          pictures of nurses uniforms...

          Good Luck to you

          Nadine Brooks Taylor
          Costume Shop Manager
          University of Rochester International Theatre Program

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth lillie
          <divasma@...> wrote:

          > Jess - my group is doing Urinetown in the fall and we are looking
          for the same info! Any help, anwhere, from anyone?

          > Thanks!
          >
          > Jess <jessica@...> wrote:
          > Anyone have ideas for constructing the leg brace for
          Little Becky Two Shoes in Urinetown?
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Requirements -
          > - easily removable (and put back on again) on stage
          > - "vintage" look
          > - actress must still be able to dance fairly comfortably.
          >
          > I'm thinking lower leg only, and around the shoe, somehow, so it's
          really more
          > "ankle" than
          > whole leg...
          >
          > But I am otherwise at a loss.
          >
          > Help!
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Cam Mills
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
            The medical supply store will be a good bet go to a
            local one near you they always have something that or
            you could make a mock up set if the image is what your
            loking for it should be relatively easy to do a mock
            up version that will be easy in and out.

            Cam

            I am using a set of braces for a pair of stilts so
            should work out well

            http://mail.yahoo.com