rental for Tintantic.....help, I can't find it!!

  • ljsimcox
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi....

      I am a costume designer looking for information on where to rent a
      set of costumes for a summer production of Tintantic the musical for
      an equity muscial theatre.
      I have checked quite a few of the national rental houses in the US
      and Canada with no luck. I know the show is not that old, and that is
      probably my main problem.
      Does anyone know if a university or regional theatre has built this
      show and has it in stock for rental? It doesn't matter where, really,
      just that the quality is high.
      The reason why I need to rent it is that we don't have time to build
      and maintain quality at the same time. I also don't have time to
      piece-meal it from several places.
      Any suggestions would be welcome......I appreciate your time!

      Laura Simcox
    • Molly Dewane
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
        Opera of South Bay Cities in the Los Angeles area did
        the show last year. I believe the group has a Web
        site that should be easy to find on the Internet. I
        don't have it handy. I'm fairly sure that the company
        built the show as opposed to rentals. Since the show
        is Edwardian, it shouldn't be that difficult to pull
        costumes if you've done shows from that period. I
        guess it all depends on your budget. Good luck and
        hope this helps-

        http://sports.yahoo.com
      • Diana Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002

          Hello-

          I know that Costume WOrld in FLorida has a set of clothes for Titanic I know of a theatre that did it two summers ago and that is where they got it from. Hope this helps!

          Diana

          Do You Yahoo!?
          Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball
        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002

             I have two Titanic-era gowns (replicas of the movie) that I've made.  Women's sizes 6 and 8.  I'll lend them to you ::tries to sound helpful::

            -Jessie

            - - - - - - - - - -

            Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball
          • theresa b
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
              If you have the time and access to NYC head to Helen Uffner vintage
              clothing. I interned there last year and can attest that she has more than
              anough period clothes to costume the whole show. However, budget wise this
              may not be feasible since this is real vintage and priced as such. But you
              wouldn't have to build anything.

              theresa who usually lurks

              >From: "ljsimcox" <ljsimcox@...>
              >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] rental for Tintantic.....help, I can't
              >find it!!
              >Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:53:48 -0000
              >
              >Hi....
              >
              >I am a costume designer looking for information on where to rent a
              >set of costumes for a summer production of Tintantic the musical for
              >an equity muscial theatre.
              >I have checked quite a few of the national rental houses in the US
              >and Canada with no luck. I know the show is not that old, and that is
              >probably my main problem.
              >Does anyone know if a university or regional theatre has built this
              >show and has it in stock for rental? It doesn't matter where, really,
              >just that the quality is high.
              >The reason why I need to rent it is that we don't have time to build
              >and maintain quality at the same time. I also don't have time to
              >piece-meal it from several places.
              >Any suggestions would be welcome......I appreciate your time!
              >
              >Laura Simcox

              I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
                I actually work for the company that houses the Titanic Broadway costumes. Unfortunately, there are 2 tours currently out which are utilizing all of the costumes. I am not sure when they will be returned, but if you want you can call Gail Baldoni at Dodger Costumes 718-729-1010 for information regarding their return.

                Kimberly Glennon
              • Julia Logan Trimarco
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                  >From: "ljsimcox" <ljsimcox@...>
                  >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] rental for Tintantic.....help, I can't
                  >find it!!
                  >Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:53:48 -0000
                  >
                  >Hi....
                  >
                  >I am a costume designer looking for information on where to rent a
                  >set of costumes for a summer production of Tintantic the musical for
                  >an equity muscial theatre.
                  >I have checked quite a few of the national rental houses in the US
                  >and Canada with no luck. I know the show is not that old, and that is
                  >probably my main problem.
                  >Does anyone know if a university or regional theatre has built this
                  >show and has it in stock for rental? It doesn't matter where, really,
                  >just that the quality is high.
                  >The reason why I need to rent it is that we don't have time to build
                  >and maintain quality at the same time. I also don't have time to
                  >piece-meal it from several places.
                  >Any suggestions would be welcome......I appreciate your time!
                  >
                  >Laura Simcox

                  You say you don't have time "piece-meal" it, but just in case you find you
                  have no choice, some other shows of the same period that rental houses may
                  have are "My Fair Lady", or some pieces of "Ragtime" might be appropriate.
                  From 1900 to 1912 (the latter when the Titanic sank) there were significant
                  changes in women's clothing, but not so much in men's, so menswear from
                  "Hello Dolly", or "Our Town" might work. For your "First Class" passengers,
                  clothing must be up to date, for your "Steerage", anything from 1900 on
                  would be fine (costumes from Oscar Wilde or Chekov plays)
                  There is a website for a company called "Costume World" (I think) you might
                  try. Also, Seaside Music Theater in Daytona Beach, has a large stock they
                  rent out, I believe they have a website. Also Dodger has a site, based out
                  of Long Island.
                  Good Luck!

                • melissa I Scheuerman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                    I believe The Civic Light Opera of South Bay Cities did a production of
                    Titanic recently the phone # is 310.372.4477 its in Redondo Beach CA. Good
                    luck.
                    Melissa