Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Costume History Textbook

  • Brad Gould
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
      I don't know that much about teaching, but I would recommend "Survey of Historic Costume". I studied costume over five years ago, and it is still the first reference I go to whenever I have to research something...
      Good luck...
      Brad

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ambellet" <abellet@...> wrote:

        > Hey~ I've posted this question to a few groups: I'm a new costume
        > professor at the university of tulsa, and I'm reworking the costume
        > history class this fall. any favorite textbooks that work especially
        > well in the classroom? If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear
        > them! thanks so much!

        I'm going to make an impractical suggestion; the biggest and most remarkable costume history book I've ever seen is 'the Book of Costume' by Millia Davenport---I doubt its still in print. Its enormous with hundreds of illustrations from actual sources, and she includes astonishing bits of history, art history and social history along with all of the details of the clothing. This is a book that students will keep with them the rest of their careers.

        phbp
      • Michelle Davidson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          Sorry, I would have to strongly vote against "Survey
          of Historic Costume." We used this in grad school,
          and I won't use it as a teacher. The price (at least
          for us through the bookstore) was exorbitant and (all)
          the books immediately began to fall apart upon
          opening. I didn't feel the information was arranged
          or explained in a helpful order, AND the author
          repeats many urban legends as fact (such as the 'fact'
          that hat sales in America fell after Kennedy went
          bare-headed to his inauguration). I myself like
          "20,000 Years of Fashion" by Boucher or "The History
          of Costume" by Payne.
          For What It's Worth--Michelle

          --- Brad Gould <bradleyvictor@...> wrote:

          > I don't know that much about teaching, but I would
          > recommend "Survey of Historic Costume". I studied
          > costume over five years ago, and it is still the
          > first reference I go to whenever I have to research
          > something...
          > Good luck...
          > Brad

          In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
          http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

          http://mail.yahoo.com