Re: Belle's Gold Gown

  • thejoshuagoldberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2006
      Hey Jennifer, I just recently went on a road trip to Disney World
      and got some nice pictures of Belle during her dance in the
      Cinderellabration show. I have one picture that indeed shows that
      she does have a cage crinolin under her dress and she does seem to
      be able to dance feely in it and it didn't seem to be very heavey.
      Feel free to e-mail me directly if you would like me to send you the
      pictures I have.

      Zayaz

      P.S. I actually also have a short video of if the performance if you
      would like it. I was getting pushed around by this mean little lady
      in front of me so it is very shaky but would be happy to pass it
      along.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "senator_leia_solo"
      <jennidryden@...> wrote:

      > Thanks everyone for the links for feathers. My co-designer
      appreciates
      > it much since Babette is her design.
      >
      > Ok, so another question. We are going in a bit of a different
      > direction with Belle's gold dress. I'm thinking of using the
      following
      > patterns as the base for her skirt and bodice:
      > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog/247.html
      > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog/442.html
      >
      > and I'd like to have the shape that the elliptical cage crinoline
      > gives - flatter in front and big and poufy in back:
      > http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog/103.html
      >
      > however, I'm never made a cage crinoline before and while it does
      > engineer the shape, I'm not sure how flexible, bendable and heavy
      it
      > may be. Can I get the same shape with petticoats instead? If so,
      > anyone point me to good patterns? We're trying to get Belle's
      dress
      > done in time for a June 30 photoshoot?
      >
      > Advice and suggestions welcome. Thanks!
      > Jennifer

    • serenpoly
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
        I haven't built the Truly Victorian cage crinoline, but I have heard
        good things about it, and every TV pattern I've ever used has been
        excellent and easy. Heather will gladly answer questions (email or
        even phone) if you need help, although she'll away be at Costume
        College in LA the last part of July...

        Do follow the fitting instructions that come with TV patterns. They
        are period, and (if your theater's like ours) fantasy shows don't
        necessarily have to be accurate. But the important thing is that
        they work, and they do. I've used TV patterns for several things
        (Mrs. Darling in Peter Pan, sweet young belles in Huck Finn, etc.),
        and never had a lick of trouble with anything. In fact, I have a
        couple of TV patterns that I'm saving for my own wedding outfit
        (since we're talking about fantasy...).

        Alternatively, Simplicity has a hoop petticoat pattern that came out
        slightly elliptical when I made it. And I've often thought their
        ballgown pattern would make a great Belle costume if done in
        yellow/gold. (It's shown in black and white with red trim in the
        picture.) I made it for Tom Sawyer's aunt - the Southern one, not
        Aunt Polly - for Huck Finn, in yellow stripe upholstery tapestry and
        just using commercial gathered lace and bias tape for the trim and
        leaving off the flowers, and it went together very simply and
        straightforwardly once I figured out which way the pleats on the
        bertha go (opening upward, IYWTK). I put some pictures in the Photos
        section of the group site, under the name Yellow_Simplicity_Ballgown.

        HTH. Good luck.

        -- Emc^2