Portfolio Pictures

  • Kat Pepmiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2006
      Ladies,

      I Have been working with several of the theatres here in Minneapolis
      for the past 5 years. I will take pictures where ever and when ever
      it is appropirate. Each of the theatres I work with is a little
      different. Sometimes the clothes are just on maniquines in the the
      workroom other times it on stage when the pro photographer is taking
      the official photos.

      As far as what size format workes best. My portfolio is 18"X13". That
      way I can do a layout of the photos, fabric swatches, sketches and/or
      images that helped me create the look for that show.

      I based my "brag book" on the portfolio of another designer. She has
      seperate books for her Clothing, Props and Painting. (She does Faux
      finishes as well.) There's several options. I usually print my photos
      as 4x6 to start, I may cut them down to get just the image I want.

      Remember that your portfolio is an extension of your creativity. It
      is often as musch as a selling point of you as a designer and builder
      as any discussion you my have with a potentional producer or
      director.

      I hope this helps.

      Kat in Minneapolis.

      I'm with the Tallahassee Little Theatre in Tallahassee Florida.
      I'm definitely going to start taking them during dress parade as we
      call it. I just hated to impose on the show's rehearsal time and we
      always have an archive photographer take pics so I figured I could
      always get copies of their pics.

      What size format works best for portfolios?

      Roberta

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sherry Ross
      <sher.momross@...> wrote:

      > which community Theatre group are you with? I'm with the Brampton
      Music Theatre , I'm producer for the Youth Troupe and costume
      designer for Main stage productions and youth troupe. I done over
      seven shows in two years and I take pictures during dress rehearsals
      and during fittings.
      > Sherry
    • ~lisa.s
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2006
        Don't think of it as "imposing" on anyone's time to have production
        photographs made--actors, other designers, as well as directors need to
        have photo documentation of their work, too. Years ago, I started taking
        my own pictures, after the photographer hired to document the show
        totally screwed up the images, and I was left with nothing. Now, most
        often, I have a couple friends who are photographers for the local
        newspaper do the shooting for me--it's just easier if I fuss with the
        costumes and they fuss with getting the shot.

        Most of our shows run for three productions, and I usually schedule the
        photo call for after the second show. We try to keep the time down to 30
        or 45 minutes, at the most. The production staff gets together before
        hand to decide what shots to take. Usually working backwards, we stage
        certain scenes or moments. Trying to make the actors understand that if
        they shut-up and pay attention, things will run quicker, is often the
        hardest part.

        In this digital age, the images are on CD--the pros shoot digital to
        begun with, and if I do do the photographing, I have the processing
        place burn a CD for me. I then make the pictures available to the cast,
        crew, and the college, for publicity purposes.

        I teach at a community college, and this is the first year in several
        where one of my students will be heading off to a four year school to
        study costume design. We designed his portfolio in two parts--physical
        and digital. The actual renderings, working drawings and
        photographs--never smaller than 4x6, most often 8x10 (or larger if the
        detail warrants it), matted and mounted for presentation. The other part
        is on CD--the renderings and drawings are digitally scanned (Kinkos does
        a super job, but I'm sure any good copy shop would, too) then merged
        with the photographs and burned to CD. The student also designed a website.

        ~lisa.s
        ---

        --
        ~lisa.s * llsturts@...