Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] fairy wings quest?

  • kittykatx@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
      I am thinking of making the wings on a wire frame that is one piece of wire and I stitch on the top of the wings. the rest is fabric.Part of the frame would go inside the dress..( my theory is that the dress would help hold up the "wings" I just having trouble finguring out a way to tie them on so they don't slip down. this is one idea I came up with borrowing a friends child..

      From: "Anne Murphy" <afmmurphy@...>

      I think you need to have a reality chat with your client...

      That sounds very pretty, but we can do that onstage because we can put
      slits in the dresses - as the previous poster mentioned. I suspect you
      would have 100 very upset mothers if you put slits in the little
      girls' party dresses!

      I don't see any way you can have wings "just sprout" without altering
      the dresses - which in this case I would assume to be unacceptable.
      Any method of even attaching them would require, you know,
      attaching... If you found something light enough you might
      potentially be able to pin, but even that runs the risk of rips,
      especially in fine fabric.

      She may need to reconcile herself to a visible, but subtle and
      unobtrusive, harness. And I've worked with small children - they're a
      lot more willing able to suspend disbelief than many adults - I don't
      think it will bother them. (Not as much as a lengthy process to get
      them in and out of costume!)

      They do make clear elastic these days - I've seen it in lingerie. That
      might work, if anyone knows where to find it. (It may be readily
      available - I've never needed it, so never looked.)

      Anne
      Costume designer/Preschool teacher

      On 6/6/06, Xochitl C. Small Bear <kittykatx@...> wrote:

      > That is what I am trying to do actually." Something that can be put on under
      > the party dresses and sprouting out the backs"to quote the mother.and easy
      > to put on.
      >
      > Thanks tho for the ideas,
      >
      > xochitl
      >
      > _

    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
        I've also worked with children (costuming them) for almost 15 years. I think Anne's idea about clear elastic (for armseye straps) is fabulous. I also think she is absolutely right about your client. Perhaps you could suggest tying the wings on with beautiful, multicolored gossamer ribbons. Or work the straps into the design some other way, by decorating them with silk flowers and leaves or making them of strings of beads. Little girls love pretty things, and they don't care how they go on, as long as they're not "itchy" or "too tight."

        Do your best to convince the Mom to let you use your talents to make the wings attractive and not make yourself crazy trying to make something "sprout." Wings only look like they're "sprouting" because there's a whole lot of support going on around the body.

        Are you aware of the wings that are available out there? There are some really nice ones you could decorate.

        For a top price of $15-20 @, you could purchase beautifully painted wings from someplace like thebutterflysource.com and decorate them to make them really special and unique.

        Heck, I sometimes see these wings at the dollar store. It's not the mechanics she should be paying you for, but rather your talents as a designer.

        I have constructed wire wings (for adults) that have dual prongs (about 10") at the Center Back which slide into leather pockets that are sewn into a tight-fitting canvas vest. I had a wire manufacturer construct the frames for me (using sprung steel wire, which will not loose its shape) and then I hand-stitched sheer fabric to them. Sometimes the vest was worn under a costume (did some huge bat wings for a haunted house this way) and sometimes the vest was designed to appear to be part of the costume, as with a butterfly costume I made for a local museum.

        Those wings sure "srouted," but they cost over $300 a pair.

        Good luck!

        Kate

        From: "Anne Murphy" <afmmurphy@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
          Actually I think it is possible to do this. I once purchased a whole box of
          fairy wings from a costume sale at a local University. Their theatre
          department cleans house every few years. Anyway, they had simple harnesses made from
          webbing (I think it was the same stuff that boy scout belts are made from)
          that go under the clothes. The harness had a thin pocket sewn into the back,
          which was pretty high up between the shoulder blades. The wings were made on a 9
          gauge aluminum wire which slips down the neck of the back of the dress into
          the pocket. They stay on really well, and they are quite beautiful. I'm
          probably not doing a very good job describing them, but I could probably figure out
          how to send you a picture of them, if that would help.
          As far as the invisible elastic goes, the problem I have with it is that is
          breaks way too easily. I'm not sure it would work for you.
          I hope this helps.
          Jodi

        • bearhedded
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
            -
            You're going to make 100 sets?!?!?!? I'd consider a
            wholesaler, unless you've got GOBS of lead time!

            As to attaching them: I had to attach angel wings to a bunch of
            borrowed choir robes once. I made a wire frame that tucked
            down the collar.......it worked, but the singers couldn't move
            around very much/quickly, and getting 100 little girls to stand still
            at a birthday party doesn't sound likely!

            Another thing that comes to mind is "super strong magnets".
            Similar to refrig. magnets, but smaller and lots more powerful.
            We've used them at the Children's Theatre for a vista quick
            changes, and they're pretty terrific! (Googling "super strong
            magnets" comes up with over 10,000 hits! I think we get them at
            Michael's) Glue a couple to the wings, and on a matching
            placket to slip into the dress and that will hold them, and no pins,
            cutting or tears.