fairy wings quest?

  • xochitl
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      I am trying to make some fairy wings that look as if they are growing
      out of the back( per a parent request). My mind is pretty fried on
      this project as I need to make a 100 for a little girl's birthday
      party. Does any one have any ideas for a brace I can use for a
      child ? She doesn't want any straps showing on the outside of wings..

      Any help is great!

      Xochitl
    • rebecca bunny flower
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        I've done stuff where the costume was fashioned with slits, folds, or large
        buttonholes where the wings came out on the back, and we had elastic straps
        that went inside through those, and fastened around the shoulders and chest
        under the bodice. It looked like the wings were growing right out of the
        back with no visible support, and that the clothing was just fashioned for
        faeries.

        But... it sounds like you need something a lot simpler? You're making 100
        pairs of wings for a party? That's a pretty hardcore birthday party! :) Is
        there any way you could have straps that go under the clothing at all?

        Don't know if this helps...

        Rebecca

        On 6/5/06, xochitl <kittykatx@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to make some fairy wings that look as if they are growing
        > out of the back( per a parent request). My mind is pretty fried on
        > this project as I need to make a 100 for a little girl's birthday
        > party. Does any one have any ideas for a brace I can use for a
        > child ? She doesn't want any straps showing on the outside of wings..
        >
        > Any help is great!
        >
        > Xochitl

      • Xochitl C. Small Bear
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
          That is what I am trying to do actually." Something that can be put on under
          the party dresses and sprouting out the backs"to quote the mother.and easy
          to put on.

          Thanks tho for the ideas,

          xochitl

          _____

          On 6/5/06, xochitl <kittykatx@comcast. <mailto:kittykatx%40comcast.net> net>
          wrote:

          > I am trying to make some fairy wings that look as if they are growing
          > out of the back( per a parent request). My mind is pretty fried on
          > this project as I need to make a 100 for a little girl's birthday
          > party. Does any one have any ideas for a brace I can use for a
          > child ? She doesn't want any straps showing on the outside of wings..
          >
          > Any help is great!
          >
          > Xochitl

        • Anne Murphy
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
            I think you need to have a reality chat with your client...

            That sounds very pretty, but we can do that onstage because we can put
            slits in the dresses - as the previous poster mentioned. I suspect you
            would have 100 very upset mothers if you put slits in the little
            girls' party dresses!

            I don't see any way you can have wings "just sprout" without altering
            the dresses - which in this case I would assume to be unacceptable.
            Any method of even attaching them would require, you know,
            attaching... If you found something light enough you might
            potentially be able to pin, but even that runs the risk of rips,
            especially in fine fabric.

            She may need to reconcile herself to a visible, but subtle and
            unobtrusive, harness. And I've worked with small children - they're a
            lot more willing able to suspend disbelief than many adults - I don't
            think it will bother them. (Not as much as a lengthy process to get
            them in and out of costume!)

            They do make clear elastic these days - I've seen it in lingerie. That
            might work, if anyone knows where to find it. (It may be readily
            available - I've never needed it, so never looked.)

            Anne
            Costume designer/Preschool teacher

          • kittykatx@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              I am thinking of making the wings on a wire frame that is one piece of wire and I stitch on the top of the wings. the rest is fabric.Part of the frame would go inside the dress..( my theory is that the dress would help hold up the "wings" I just having trouble finguring out a way to tie them on so they don't slip down. this is one idea I came up with borrowing a friends child..

              From: "Anne Murphy" <afmmurphy@...>

              I think you need to have a reality chat with your client...

              That sounds very pretty, but we can do that onstage because we can put
              slits in the dresses - as the previous poster mentioned. I suspect you
              would have 100 very upset mothers if you put slits in the little
              girls' party dresses!

              I don't see any way you can have wings "just sprout" without altering
              the dresses - which in this case I would assume to be unacceptable.
              Any method of even attaching them would require, you know,
              attaching... If you found something light enough you might
              potentially be able to pin, but even that runs the risk of rips,
              especially in fine fabric.

              She may need to reconcile herself to a visible, but subtle and
              unobtrusive, harness. And I've worked with small children - they're a
              lot more willing able to suspend disbelief than many adults - I don't
              think it will bother them. (Not as much as a lengthy process to get
              them in and out of costume!)

              They do make clear elastic these days - I've seen it in lingerie. That
              might work, if anyone knows where to find it. (It may be readily
              available - I've never needed it, so never looked.)

              Anne
              Costume designer/Preschool teacher

              On 6/6/06, Xochitl C. Small Bear <kittykatx@...> wrote:

              > That is what I am trying to do actually." Something that can be put on under
              > the party dresses and sprouting out the backs"to quote the mother.and easy
              > to put on.
              >
              > Thanks tho for the ideas,
              >
              > xochitl
              >
              > _

            • K Murphy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                I've also worked with children (costuming them) for almost 15 years. I think Anne's idea about clear elastic (for armseye straps) is fabulous. I also think she is absolutely right about your client. Perhaps you could suggest tying the wings on with beautiful, multicolored gossamer ribbons. Or work the straps into the design some other way, by decorating them with silk flowers and leaves or making them of strings of beads. Little girls love pretty things, and they don't care how they go on, as long as they're not "itchy" or "too tight."

                Do your best to convince the Mom to let you use your talents to make the wings attractive and not make yourself crazy trying to make something "sprout." Wings only look like they're "sprouting" because there's a whole lot of support going on around the body.

                Are you aware of the wings that are available out there? There are some really nice ones you could decorate.

                For a top price of $15-20 @, you could purchase beautifully painted wings from someplace like thebutterflysource.com and decorate them to make them really special and unique.

                Heck, I sometimes see these wings at the dollar store. It's not the mechanics she should be paying you for, but rather your talents as a designer.

                I have constructed wire wings (for adults) that have dual prongs (about 10") at the Center Back which slide into leather pockets that are sewn into a tight-fitting canvas vest. I had a wire manufacturer construct the frames for me (using sprung steel wire, which will not loose its shape) and then I hand-stitched sheer fabric to them. Sometimes the vest was worn under a costume (did some huge bat wings for a haunted house this way) and sometimes the vest was designed to appear to be part of the costume, as with a butterfly costume I made for a local museum.

                Those wings sure "srouted," but they cost over $300 a pair.

                Good luck!

                Kate

                From: "Anne Murphy" <afmmurphy@...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Actually I think it is possible to do this. I once purchased a whole box of
                  fairy wings from a costume sale at a local University. Their theatre
                  department cleans house every few years. Anyway, they had simple harnesses made from
                  webbing (I think it was the same stuff that boy scout belts are made from)
                  that go under the clothes. The harness had a thin pocket sewn into the back,
                  which was pretty high up between the shoulder blades. The wings were made on a 9
                  gauge aluminum wire which slips down the neck of the back of the dress into
                  the pocket. They stay on really well, and they are quite beautiful. I'm
                  probably not doing a very good job describing them, but I could probably figure out
                  how to send you a picture of them, if that would help.
                  As far as the invisible elastic goes, the problem I have with it is that is
                  breaks way too easily. I'm not sure it would work for you.
                  I hope this helps.
                  Jodi

                • bearhedded
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                    -
                    You're going to make 100 sets?!?!?!? I'd consider a
                    wholesaler, unless you've got GOBS of lead time!

                    As to attaching them: I had to attach angel wings to a bunch of
                    borrowed choir robes once. I made a wire frame that tucked
                    down the collar.......it worked, but the singers couldn't move
                    around very much/quickly, and getting 100 little girls to stand still
                    at a birthday party doesn't sound likely!

                    Another thing that comes to mind is "super strong magnets".
                    Similar to refrig. magnets, but smaller and lots more powerful.
                    We've used them at the Children's Theatre for a vista quick
                    changes, and they're pretty terrific! (Googling "super strong
                    magnets" comes up with over 10,000 hits! I think we get them at
                    Michael's) Glue a couple to the wings, and on a matching
                    placket to slip into the dress and that will hold them, and no pins,
                    cutting or tears.